Gulf Football Federation

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by druryfire, Jul 4, 2015.

1. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    This might just be me.....but I've heard something along the lines of Kuwait announcing the formation of a new confederation for Gulf Members??

2. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    How will it be any different to the current confed, given that Iran is out in CAFF?

3. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    It would feature Kuwait, UAE, Qatar, Iraq, Yemen (invitee?), Bahrain, Saudi Arabia and Oman.

It would be pointless these nations being part of WAFF, which would leave WAFF with just Palestine, Lebanon, Syria and Jordan....it would also remove Prince Ali from any power I guess? Giving the Sheikhs more regional power?

4. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    I've just read an article here: http://bfa.bh/detail/2214

I don't know if all they want to do is create a federation for the Gulf because at the moment it is run by GCC and invites Iraq and Yemen...So instead of being run by GCC, they can run it themselves and make Iraq and Yemen full time members.

5. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
  6. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    And, 9 months after first hearing something, we are nearly their with the completion of this organisation.

It was also announced that on May 21, a general meeting of the Gulf
    Football Federation (GFF) will be held in Doha.

Key decisions including making Doha the headquarters of GFF is
    expected to ratified during the May 21 gathering.

The President of GFF will also be elected during the meeting next month.

http://www.qfa.com.qa/2016-gulf-cup-in-kuwait-in-december-if-fifa-sanctions-lifted/

7. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    QFA President elected new GFF chief

DOHA: In a landmark decision, the Gulf Football Federation (GFF) on
    Saturday elected QFA President Sheikh Hamad Bin Khalifa Bin Ahmad Al
    Thani as its new chief.

The decision was announced following a meeting of regional football
    chiefs who also voted Dr. Marwan Ahmed bin Ghalita as GFF’s Vice
    President.

The QFA President thanked GFF officials for their ‘support’ and
    pledged ‘to work for the development of the sport in the region’.

“I know GFF has shown great confidence in me and I assure I will do my
    best to take the game forward in this region,” Sheikh Hamad said on
    Saturday.

It was also decided that Qatar will host the Gulf Cup either in
    December 2017 or January 2018. It was the said the actual dates of the
    most popular football tournament would be announced later.

Sheikh Hamad said GFF member nations have been urged to forward names
    of officials who would form the Executive Committee of GFF.

During the meeting on Saturday, it was also decided to urge FIFA to
    lift ban on Iraq.

The officials also decided to market and promote Gulf Cup with renewed
    vigor of taking the event to all parts of the region.

New events like Gulf Champions League is also set to be included in
    the football calendars across the region

http://www.qfa.com.qa/qfa-president-elected-new-gff-chief/

8. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Gulf nations set up new regional body to manage their competitions
    3rd June 2016
    June 3 – Saudi Arabia and Yemen may have their political differences but football is bringing them together under a new eight-nation regional body that aims to streamline the administration of the sport in the region.
    The Gulf Cup Federation (GCF) was formally established by the heads of eight associations last weekend with Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa bin Ahmad Al Thani of Qatar named as its President.
    Whilst each national federation will independently grow and manage the sport of football in their respective countries, the new body – comprising Bahrain, Iraq, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Yemen – will run the main club and international competitions in the region (notably the Gulf Nations Cup, Gulf Champions Cup and Gulf Cup Winners Cup), manage media and sponsorship rights as well as promote unity between the nations involved.

Under the umbrella of the GCF, the long-delayed 23rd Gulf Cup – to be re-named Gulf Nations Cup – was finally handed to Qatar who have been given further time to decide the exact dates of the tournament in December 2017 and January 2018.

It was originally to be held in Kuwait in December last year but was postponed because of a political dispute that led to Kuwait’s controversial suspension by FIFA.

For the first time in Gulf football history, the sport will now be unified under one marketing structure with a top-tier partnership category that will be granted only to a few Elite Partners.

The first events to be organised under the auspices of the GCF will be the Gulf Champions Cup and the Gulf Cup Winners’ Cup in August 2017.

The breakdown of the revised GCF competitions is as follows:
    GULF NATIONS CUP (formerly known as the GULF CUP)
    The pinnacle of the Gulf football world this will take place on a bi-annual basis and see the tournament moving throughout the Gulf region.
    Qatar (December 2017 – January 2018)
    UAE (December 2019 – January 2019)
    Future Hosts to be determined via bidding
    GULF CHAMPIONS CUP:
    Comprising eight league champions, this is the annual climax of the Gulf’s premium club competition.
    Start: August 2017 (Hosts to be determined by bidding)
    GULF CUP WINNERS’ CUP:
    The GCF’s second annual club competition, comprising the eight local cup winners
    Start: August 2017 (Hosts to be determined by bidding)

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/...ns-set-new-regional-body-manage-competitions/