Guatemala vs EEUU (Mar. 25/29) [WCQ 2018]

Discussion in 'Guatemala' started by Chul0, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Evolute

Evolute Member

May 11, 2010
    MD
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Excellent win!!! Depending on how we do in the next game against the U.S, do any of you think our players might get scouted?

2. Chul0

Chul0 Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Screenshot_2016-03-22-10-57-32.png Last time we beat the US, both Gardiner and Victor Monzon were starters. Now they're both part of the coaching staff. Coincidence, I don't think so

ChaChaFut and edcalvi repped this.
  3. MauriceDel-Taco

Nov 20, 2011
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This game was awesome, best feeling in a long time for me, probably since making 2014 Uncaf cup finals.
    I think so, especially after a big win like this. I think guys like Mo, Saravia, Rafa maybe even Motta will get some looks.

4. Chul0

Chul0 Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Jugando asi hasta el hamilton se lo llevan hahahha

5. OnTheeRize

OnTheeRize Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Bay Area
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Congrats guys!
    We are where we should be 2 wins 1 loss. I thought the win would be vs trinidad but we good.

edcalvi repped this.
  6. dezeptus

dezeptus Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Puta me desperté a las 3am acá en Italia para ver el partido por internet.. Casi despierto a medio mundo con gritos de gol!

7. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    Mula... Te estamos pelando en FB.

8. dezeptus

dezeptus Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Ya quite esa mierda!

9. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    Porque no aguantaste todo el bullying que te hicimos jajaja tenemos una convo en grupo hablando de como saliste llorando jajajajaja

10. dezeptus

dezeptus Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Coman mieshte huecos! Hahaha

11. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    No puedo creer que ganamos! No me acuerdo de la última vez que les ganamos a los gringos!

edcalvi repped this.
  12. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
  13. mczh

mczh Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Decent quality version of full game

jfcule, deuteronomy and ChaChaFut repped this.
  14. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Estaba haciendo memoria y viendo fotos y de las últimas 3 veces que jugamos premundial contra los gringos, en 2 fui al Mateo, y quedamos 0-0 y 0-1.
    En 2012 que ya no fui, quedamos 1-1.
    Este 2-0 es histórico. Qué envidia los que estuvieron allí. No me imagino cómo estaba el Mateo.

edcalvi repped this.
  15. mczh

mczh Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Rewatched the match, had a few notes
    • 1st half no impusieron el juego de Claverí - solo puro pelotazos - pero estaban ordenado en defensa. They did maintain possession much better in 2nd tho
    • No les dieron nada por mediocampo y cortaron los centros
    • the us had some moments attacking down the wings especially in 2nd half causing the defense to scramble more but Motta had an incredible game
    All in all, solid win. Americans can bitch about getting "concacaf'd" all they want but ese árbitro les perdono muchas tarjetas and Dempsey/Wood did their fair share of diving. Anyways congrats and go finish the job in Columbus!

edcalvi, Chul0 and ChaChaFut repped this.
  16. Chul0

Chul0 Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    I agree. We couldn't build from the back so we resorted to long balls. Mainly, cause we were afraid of turnovers and be killed in transitions. Also, hamilton is hopeless with the ball at his feet.

If I could summarize Claveri's "philosophy" in 4 concepts, they would be

1. Use possession as a medium to find the "third/spare man". Always have width when attacking.

2. Pressing in waves (choose the right moments in the game as to not be gassed out by the end of the match).

3. Compactness (both attacking and defending)

4. Clinical order when defending set pieces (mostly zonal marking). As well as taking advantage of your own.

In the first half we only succeeded at doing both 3 and 4 (and to a lesser extent 2). But against a disorganized US team, that was enough :)

17. Chul0

Chul0 Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    After re watching the game I'm ready to give out ratings. They'll most likely be very biased, over inflated, and extremely wordy but I don't care haha.

Motta: 10, Great positioning, reflexes, Leadership, organization skills, and that intangible thing all great goalkeepers have; luck. He was faultless in the air (even dominant I'd say). He brings such confidence and calmness to the backline that Jerez sadly never could. It's remarkable how a great goalkeeper performance can literally win you games. It was Tim Howard that did it in el Mateo in 2008. Last night it was Motta. Como Dijo Manuel Sol en NBC deportes "5 atajadas y una asistencia?...todavia hay duda de quien es el hombre del partido???"

Jiménez : 7, it shouldn't be easy for a 20 year old to debut against the US in a qualifier. Yet Cristian showed great composure and mental fortitude. Didn't contribute much going forward, but in this game he didn't have to. That clearance around the 10th minute almost gave me a heart attack.

Hamilton: 9, me callo la boca el machetero del progreso. Won all his aerial duals and organized the backline whether by yelling or encouraging them. He always remained tight to Dempsey, or Wood, or Altidore or cualquier hdp que se acercaba a su zona. And for the first time in forever, no dio leña a lo pendejo. He didn't need to.

Mo: 8, he's come a long way. He showed great maturity and composure. It's not easy to remain calm after getting a yellow card so early in the game. Siempre fue duro pero leal. He would've gotten a 9 if it wasn't for his mistakes in the offside traps. It's understandable since he only trained 3 days with the squad.

Rafa: 8, to paraphrase the great @drerodz (I think it was him) "ese rafa lo vi en la copa centroamericana y juega con huevos". He opened the gateway to this historical night. Dominant in the air in both areas and was unlucky not to have a brace. Having said that, he did tired in the end.

Saravia: 8, it looked as if this was his 100th appearance for Guate. If he was nervous then he definitely didn't show it. Always covered for his teammates and rarely if ever misplaced a pass. He also helped out when defending set pieces and unlike michael Bradley, el si metia la cabeza cuando tenia que.

Marquez: 8, I think this is the first time I've seen Marquez Run for 90 mins. He took turns with Tinoco helping Ruiz press and always tried to keep it simple. Great assist in Rafa's goal.

Moyo: 8, el moyo en seleccion siempre corre, como tortuga pero corre. It is not a secret that he's not an athlete but he has a great futbol brain and two gifted feet. Helped out defending and pressing as much as he coukd. He did over complicate his passing a few times but always striving to create and never in his own area (Pinche pappa). Unlucky not to have two assists. He was the one helping with possession in the second half. After he came out, we couldn't keep the ball anymore.

Cincotta: 5.5, one of the few dissapointments of the night. He can't be faulted for work rate and willingness. Unfortunately, we needed someone to help out either by keeping possession or holding on to the ball. He seldom did either.

Tinoco: 7, he might be a forward but he worked like a defensive winger. Great in the air and never stopped running. Though he did killed prospective counter attacks by making the taking the wrong choices.

Fish: 8, I'm looking forward to the 2050 qualifiers. He'll be leading the line with a cane in one hand and an oxygen tank on the other. He played like if this could be his last game. Who am I kidding, he always played like if it was his last game.

Pappa: 5, great at keeping possession when he kept it simple. Unfortunately, he still tries to dribble in our half leading to chances for the other team. Looked disinterested half of the time and jogged most of the second half. Claveri made the right decision by dropping him off the starting lineup

Castrillo: 6, helped out keep a US team who's only attacking idea was to lump the ball into our area.

Arias: 5, not enough time

18. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    It only let's me 'Like' once.

edcalvi repped this.
  19. drerodz

drerodz Member

Jan 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Already nervous about Tuesday. US is going to come out for target practice. Hoping our boys can keep their wits about them and pull out something positive.

20. SamKnight

SamKnight Member+

Los Angeles Football Club
    United States
    Aug 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Came on here to say congrats on your historic win, You guys need at least a tie to stay alive though you are guaranteed a win in your last match vs Saint Vincent but then again so is everyone else.

edcalvi repped this.
  21. Chul0

Chul0 Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Yo tambien. If I was claveri , yo metia el camion at least in the first half. I'd go with Motta; Castrillo, Cardona, Mo, Rafa; Salazar, Saravia, Marquez; Jiménez, Tinoco/Guerra, Cincotta/Icute/arriola

But Claveri has been consistent with his ideas. Since day 1 he said "que queria venir a tocar a columbus". And he reiterated it after the US game.

He said we would seldom repeat a game like the one in the Mateo (early goals,brilliant goalkeeping). So it is "imperative to hold on to the ball as much as we can".

If it makes you feel any better, Tuesday is "Saint Motta's day". He's turning 35 that day :)

ChaChaFut repped this.
  22. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    No puede salir a parquear camión de entrada. Hay que salir con la idea de defender y contra golpear, y en el segundo tiempo si todo va bien, allí si parquearlo.
    Un empate aquí sería casi clasificatorio. Hay que jugar a eso.

edcalvi repped this.
  23. Chul0

Chul0 Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Well according to rafa we'll try to take advantage of their desperation and kill them on the counter.

Esos cerotes will try to roll us over from the first minute. Especially Dempsey, Wood & Yedlin. Esos se querian dar verga con Hamilton, Mo & Rafa respectively haha

jfcule repped this.
  24. Chul0

Chul0 Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
  25. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    Exacto! No lo pudiste haber dicho de mejor manera. Claverí es un sabio y creo ese será su planeamiento. Ojalá (law shah Allah).

dezeptus repped this.