Guardian of the Galacticos: Welcome Thibaut Courtois!

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Eddie, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    They had 2 shots, scored both of them but one of them was disallowed. I always think that stats don't paint the entire picture but conceding 12 goals while having 11 saves is bad, very very bad.

madridista_hr, Lyra and SayWhatIWant repped this.
  2. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It also shows the kind of chances we're allowing.

3. Doni

Doni Member+

Dec 4, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Average?

4. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    True, but we also need to remember he has 7 clean sheets in a row while playing for Belgium.

5. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That’s true and I’m not a stats man, so I’ll ask, how many saves has he had to make whilst playing with them, that will probably tell a more complete story

SayWhatIWant repped this.
  6. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    I'm equally as concerned with how he negatively impacts our build-up. Anybody can attest that with Areola, we are far more fluid.

7. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    For context, these are Belgiums last 7 games:

1. Kazakhstan
    2. Scotland
    3. San Marino
    4. Scotland
    5. San Marino
    6. Kazakhstan
    7. Cyprus

madridista_hr, MerlinRM, Doni and 2 others repped this.
  8. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    How is Mallorca a bigger threat to his clean sheet than all teams in that list?

9. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Mallorca would trash those teams apart from maybe Scotland but even they suck a lot recently. How many saves did he have in those games? That would be a more interesting stats then sugarcoating it and saying he had 7 clean sheets in a row with Belgium. San Marino hasn't even scored a goal yet and they are 2 out of those 7 games. They have a -43 goal difference.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  10. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    And he opened his mouth again this time badmouthing Ordiozola.. He said you should not be making a tackle like with a yellow.. I think this is true but you don’t need to throw your teammates under the bus like that..

SayWhatIWant repped this.
  11. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Odriozola apparently spent the time before the match in Mallorca dealing race horses, people have been questioning his focus on the team in general online after that became public.

12. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Re-watching the goal we conceded. It clearly wasn't his fault but he just does absolutely nothing to make a spectacular save in situations like that. Its like he is just there. We need a GK who can pull a save out of their ass with a defense like ours.

13. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    Mallorca would be heavily favored to beat every one of those poor sides.

Same for why Hazard magically became great during the break. You're mainly playing plumbers, teachers and accountants in those sides so no shit you'll look better.

Chinky24, Ahmadi8, Eddie and 1 other person repped this.
  14. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Huge difference between not my fault and I'm not going to even try to make the save.

You don't save 100% of the shots you only watch go in.

15. Drouchk

Drouchk Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 9, 2018
    I give this guy a lot of shit but credit must be given where it’s due, he was amazing yesterday, if he could play like this regularly then we won’t have to worry about the Gl situation.
    I’ll remain skeptical however until I see him perform like this consistently.

16. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Earned us the win. Thisnis the type of performance that made him a top keeper and the type of performance we will need to compete.

Hope he builds on this and regains his confidence. We won't win shit if he doesn't.

Anon. and Drouchk repped this.
  17. dooda

dooda Member+

Jun 8, 2005
    Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    [​IMG]

Interesting data from tactics platform. Pretty much confirms what most of us have said about Courtois; He's not horrible but he is flat out average. Every goal you're expected to concede he will concede as seen by his Goal per xG last season as well as this one (1.04 & 1.01). Keylor on the other hand was usually around a 0.8 even Iker on his last legs was at 0.86.

Hopefully he can put in more performances similar to Galatasaray, with how gun shy our attackers have been, we'll need him to.

18. Doni

Doni Member+

Dec 4, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I’m not sure who I would go for next summer. TC absolutely needs to go ASAP though. The GK position has been a shitshow for this club since his first day.

19. Ayayain

Ayayain Member+

Real Madrid
    Nov 29, 2017
    150ME on Oblak + 300ME MBappe.

:inlove:

20. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Haha, as if either player wants to play for Real Madrid. :ROFLMAO:

21. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I feel like we're stuck with him for at least another season. We really need to put Lunin in a great situation to see what he is capable of and then bring him back in 2021. That or another Dunaramma pops up somewhere. Top GKs not tied down to big teams are rare to find nowadays.

22. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    There's only two or three legit top goalkeepers anyway. De Gea has been throwing in blunders regularly, Kepa has the worst shot/save ratio at the Premier League, Alysson has some clunkers here and there. If its not Oblak, you might just go with something more cost effective until you come up with a great talent.

23. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    We aren't at the point where we have a decent keeper who is not quite world class though, like we did with Navas. In that case you are right, theres probably only 2-3 keepers who are obviously world class. Our problem is even Dani Pacheco is better than Tibo today. No idea what happened to the guy since joining us, he just has no confidence which is odd for someone who's very outspoken.

24. dooda

dooda Member+

Jun 8, 2005
    Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    People are over exaggerating both Courtois downfall and Navas' performances his last year. The numbers show Navas has been better but only marginally. Courtois is conceding what he's expected to concede (Zero Super Saves) while Navas makes up for his blunders with the occasional super save.

Season long data shows this to be true. Both are middle of the park goal keepers couldn't find the same metrics but results tell the same story.

17/18 Season for Navas

[​IMG]

18/19 Season for TC

[​IMG]

yoanaidarov repped this.
  25. Doni

Doni Member+

Dec 4, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Have you literally given up watching Madrid game and resorted to graphs and tables like you’ve got Peter Brand under your wing or something?