Guardian of the Galacticos: Welcome Thibaut Courtois!

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Eddie, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Drouchk

Drouchk Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 9, 2018
    A good defense won’t help him cover his near post better or that Eiffel Tower size gap between his legs.

2. Ssr9

Ssr9 Member+

Real Madrid
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sydney
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Mali
    Ridiculous decision to buy him in the first place....I feel like for a club like Madrid it would have been so easy to find a World Class keeper over the past 3/4 seasons because quite a few emerged: Alisson/Kepa/Ederson/De Gea/Lloris/Handanovic/Donnaruma.....we had the chance to sign at least 2/3 from this list.

This makes me annoyed Lunin left....now would have been the time to give him his chance.

Drouchk repped this.
  3. Bear Crotch

Bear Crotch Member+

Jan 2, 2008
    Ohio, United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    My concern with him isn't the low shots under his legs but how bad he is at the near post.

Ahmadi8 repped this.
  4. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Our scouting is the worse...
    Is Lunin even a starter by now?

Navas came because he had a fantastic World cup in 2014 and was the best keeper in La liga that year.
    We only react ..but never ahead of the curve.

5. Real__Madrid

Real__Madrid Member+

Aug 29, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Usually you'd get a goal keeper who on occasions wins you games. We on the contrary have a goal keeper who makes us lose games.

If he doesn't manage to sort his shit out within next 2-3 games, he has to hit the bench. He doesn't have the confidence, the defence will also naturally react to even worse defending because they have zero confidence he's saving anything going on target.

6. Ayayain

Ayayain Member+

Real Madrid
    Nov 29, 2017
    I think there's always an explanation to what happens.

Courtois is a good Goalkeeper but he seems to not fit us, that's all.

He was very good at AM because they park the bus. When you park the bus, you get less screwed by counters, and so less chances for your GK to be in 1vs1. Box is also more frequently filled with your [very aggressive] players, so less chances to get crucified at point blank range.

Courtois had the same flaws but it was not showing as much as now.

You will tell me that Belgium does not park the bus, true, but hey, like a broken clock that is right twice a day, he had one awesome tournament in which he was good at everything, and that's it.

7. gladiator guti

gladiator guti Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    Hugo Lloris was outstanding for France through out the WC until that blunder in the final.

Courtois was a second thought.

8. gladiator guti

gladiator guti Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    That would be the worst insult ever. I'm not even entertain the idea.

Just think ... we got this kid on loan from PSG because Navas is now # 1 at PSG.

We sold Navas to PSG to make Courtois feels more secure. This club would officially be a laughing stock when ZZ benches Courtois for Areola.

9. arcane

arcane Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    Philippines
    We need those Iker/Keylor type goalies. Not necessarily the commanding type but with lightning reflexes and agility. Those seem to suite us more.

Drouchk repped this.
  10. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I’m concerned by both to be honest , let’s see what he produces for the rest of the season

Drouchk repped this.
  11. HZinho

HZinho Member+

Apr 2, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'm not one to hide when things aren't going like I expected. As I mentioned before, I really believed Courtois was a superb transfer at the time for - in short - two reasons.
    1. I thought he was a world class GK (he definitely was in the discussion for the best when he was at Atleti).
    2. I wasn't as high on Navas as some here are.
    Courtois's game for us last year was, well, not ideal. But I believed that was also partly due to the uncertainty of the nr. 1 spot. So I gave him the benefit of the doubt, also because Navas wasn't all that either. However, this year - while still short - he simply is not playing good enough. It's super strange, he's letting balls in that I believe should be his 100%. Sure, that first PSG goal for instance was Carvajal being a dummy and Varane (oh Varane..) being asleep yet again, but that Di Maria shot was in his corner. It should have been saved IMO, very important moment in the game as well to concede. And he's had a couple of those moments. I don't know, I still believe we can make this work, but he needs to significantly step up his game. We need his best game back.

Just to make one thing clear: I didn't follow him too much at Chelsea, so no idea whether his form dropped substantially there.

Having said the above, I'm still behind point number 2. Navas is a very good GK, a class act, a fan and team favourite, but has had some bizarre moments as well during crucial games (Bayern and Juve come to mind immediately, but they're definitely not the only ones). It's just that he's such a likeable character and the club did try to replace him almost every season (not very classy from our otherwise quite classy club), so he has that going for him.

In short: we made a choice, we need to stick with it now and hope Courtois wakes up and steps up his game (and shuts his arrogant mouth for once). The talent is there of course, he can still be a succes but needs to perform now and this season.

CivilProtection and Eddie repped this.
  12. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Ok. He is here...whether he sucks or not. He is here

So what is the exit strategy? How long do we give him? Who would replace him?

Drouchk repped this.
  13. Drouchk

Drouchk Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 9, 2018
    Rewatching the PSG game I noticed that on their first goal when Di Maria toe poked the ball in the near post Courtois literally closed his eyes and fluffed his arms, he had no idea where the ball was, as if he was scared of getting hit by the ball, now I’m no GK expert but this can’t be normal.

Winter lol

14. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I say give the PSG keeper a shot..still can't believe he was hanging out with his boys after they trashed us, but give him a shot. See if he is any good.

If not, hit the market. We can't stay like this

Lyra repped this.
  15. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    We should hire the goalkeeper that got lobbed and then ran out clutching the air outside of his box leaving the goal wide open. That's the guy that's all the rage nowadays.

yoanaidarov and Halycon repped this.
  16. Açores57

Açores57 Member+

Oct 4, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Courtois will make noise if he isn’t the #1 and he’s here for family reasons. Don’t see him leaving anytime soon.

I’ll never understand the rush to sign this guy, he was pretty underwhelming at Chelsea.

Drouchk repped this.
  17. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Won Golden Gloves at the WC

18. Açores57

Açores57 Member+

Oct 4, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Who cares

19. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Flo

20. Açores57

Açores57 Member+

Oct 4, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    We were linked to Courtois for ages and reached out to him when he was injured at Chelsea. Flo was buying him regardless of WC.

Ahmadi8 repped this.
  21. janos audron

janos audron Member+

Apr 12, 2010
    He really went world class on that toilet did he?

22. CivilProtection

CivilProtection Member+

Jul 6, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Found the clean shits.

23. Varnagel

Varnagel Member+

Nothing
    Sweden
    Jun 4, 2017
    Finally, Courtois just had a clean sheet.

But damn, it took a while...

24. RaMaaa

RaMaaa Member+

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    TBH i was screaming bad words when Chicharito scored.. not again Courtois, not again. Uh... offside.

25. Raul_Madrid

Raul_Madrid Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    LOL Same here!!! I was about to throw something at the TV lol !!! so happy it was offside, having said that, his ability to deal with low balls really has me worried, the guy is as good as useless on the ground.