Guadeloupe's Thread

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by soccer krazy, Jun 18, 2007.

1. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
  2. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Guadeloupe is already making a statement right now as a country that can do some damage in the Caribbean Zone and with them showcasing themselves on the big stage in CONCACAF it's sad that they can't be recongnized by FIFA because they area a colony of France or under French law.

I hope that they will be able to talk with FIFA so they can be seen as it's own country in a footballing way & they can go into World Cup Qualifying.

3. NotQuiteNorse

NotQuiteNorse New Member

Nov 7, 2006
    asia
    Club:
    --other--
    Guadalupe is not a colony, they are part of the republic proper. A bit like Hawaii is to the US I believe.

I'm not sure what the rules for FIFA eligibility are. Non-states are eligible (Scotland, Puerto Rico), but I think they need some sort of self-governing autonomy (I believe Gibraltar doesn't qualify fo this reason).

Basically what I'm saying is I have no idea. Does anyone have a better knowledge of this? Of well, at least they can play in the FIFI cup!

4. Texian Soldier

Texian Soldier New Member

May 3, 2007
    Screw letting these guys into CONCACAF. I'd like to see Honduras get back into the WC sometime in this life. HAHAHAHAHA.

Seriously, it would really be great if they could compete as a regular team in the region. However, if you let these guys you'd be opening up a Pandora's Box of complications.

What if some of the states in Brazil decide to form their own national teams? Or what if individual states in U.S. started forming their own teams. You going to let them compete too?

I think their situation should be just stay the same. If they want to continue to play in Gold Cups (if they qualify) fine, but I don't think the sport would be helped overall letting them play in WC qualifying.

5. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    I live in guadalupe... guadalupe, san jose :D

6. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Thanks for the clarafication on Guadeloupe I knew it was something like this, but I didn't have the proper meaning for it. But if France would allow them to be apart of World Cup Qualifying someday it would be nice to see.

7. soukougnan

soukougnan New Member

Jun 17, 2007
    i am not agree with you. I want to see henry/thuram/gallas/ect and ribery, sagnol, nasri, viera in the same team!

8. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Doesn't Tahiti have the same status as Guadeloupe with regards to France?

Tahiti has their own national team and is a FIFA member...

9. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Tahiti national team actually represents all of French Polynesia, which is an "overseas collectivity" of France, while Guadeloupe is an "overseas department." I think the difference is that the collectivities have more of a local autonomous government, while the departments are fully represented in the French parliament and vote in French national elections.

The four overseas departments of France are Guadeloupe, Martinique, French Guiana, and Reunion. Reunion is an associate member of CAF, but not allowed to participate in the African Nations Cup.

Saint-Martin is an overseas collectivity like French Polynesia, but has the same status in CONCACAF as Guadeloupe et al. Saint-Martin probably could apply for FIFA membership.

10. Gwada United

Gwada United New Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Miami
    GIO17, No need to say that I totally agree with you, and that this would be a dream come true for so many of us, but politics rule so many things that it's probably be a dream for a while...

11. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Which NBA players are from Guadeloupe?

Do they play on the French team in international competitions then?

12. MrEleganza

MrEleganza Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Delaware, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Ronny Turiaf is one, right? Loved watching him in college. I hope he overcomes his heart problems and has a solid NBA career.

It's too bad it doesn't appear that there's a precedent for allowing a team like Guadaloupe into FIFA given their level of autonomy and their status as equivalent to a US state.

They are the story of this tournament, though, and I gather on Thursday, everyone outside of Mexico and its natives elsewhere in the world will be rooting for them (besides those who only care about a US-Mexico matchup). This is there turn in the spotlight, kudos to them. I think they will give Mexico all they can handle.

EDIT: Just read that Turiaf is from Martinique.

13. Wiso

Wiso Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Phoenix
    Club:
    Club León

hey my couisn lives in Guadalupe,

between the Novacentro and the picinas de Goicochea...

Nice...

14. LN - Dougg

LN - Dougg Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dale City, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    No empezes... You'll get these people upset... We're talkinga bout Guadeloupe... Not Guadalupe... it's like apples and oranges man. :rolleyes: :p

15. soukougnan

soukougnan New Member

Jun 17, 2007
    mickael pietrus(warrior), johan petro(supersonic), Mickaël Gelabale(seattle supersonic),

16. Gwada United

Gwada United New Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Miami
    Yes they do. And they are:
    Mickael Pietrus (Golden States Warriors)
    Johann Petro (Seattle Supersonics)
    Mickael Gelabale (Seattle Supersonics)

All 3 play for France, and Ronny Turiaf is from Martinique and also plays for France.

17. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    So your saying that you would want to see Guadeloupe continuing to service the F.F.F. instead of having the country represent it's self in CONCACAF for World Cup Qualifying?

18. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Keep on hoping that the dream becomes a reality Gwada.

19. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Gwada United. I just wanted to tell you and all of your fellow Guadeloupans that this was a fantastic job from your National Team and sadly it ended with one goal against Mexico. I saw Angloma's goal against Canada and that was a fantastic play.

I hope your country will be seen by FIFA one day and that your country can participate in World Cup Qualifying. What a fantastic run by your side & good luck in future Gold Cup Qualifying/Caribbean Cup play. Maybe Guadeloupe can win their first Caribbean Cup Title.

20. Gwada United

Gwada United New Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Miami
    Thanks a lot man!!! We'll keep dreaming an we'll keep pushing! As we are a small island, I'll be able to transfer your kind words to David Sommeil and to the coach!

Hopefully this will push more players to think about wearing our colors because usually, once they're gone overseas there's no turning back. This result should shake the pride out of some of the most talented!

21. canesfan00

canesfan00 New Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Miami
    Very entertaining team. I look forward to seeing their results for world cup qualifiers, if they are even eligible. Oh and I have to give this team the goal of the tournament for that free kick strike in the orange bowl. Good luck in future matches.

22. Panfilo

Panfilo Member+

May 9, 2003
    INLAND EMPIRE
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Solid team, nothing but respect for these guys.

Technically better than most teams in the region these guys would give anyone in the region fits. I wonder how they would do at home.

Doesn't resort to playing dirty.

Good luck in the future.

23. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I know that "officially" Guadeloupe uses the French flag... but what do they consider their own flag? I've found various ones in searches... the main ones that keep coming up seem to be:

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

Which of these is the Guadeloupe flag?

24. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    The middle one looks like Surinam's, doesn't it?

Metro

25. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    It does, but Surinam has the star in the middle and this one has it off to the left.