Guadeloupe, Martinique, French Guyana, Saint-Martin and Sint-Maarten in FIFA? That takes the path!

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by Gwadaboyz 72, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Gwadaboyz 72

Gwadaboyz 72 Member

Jun 27, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    [​IMG]

Remember in Hungary were held the same week ( may 22nd to 25th) CFU, CONCACAF and FIFA congress. On this occasion, Guadeloupe, Martinique, French Guyana, Saint-Martin and Sint Maarten associate members in CONCACAF, sent delegates who attended the three congress. CFU and CONCACAF have the opportunity to elect their respective new president. This is how CFU has elected mister Gordon Derrick from Antigua and Barbuda and CONCACAF mister Jeffrey Webb from the Cayman Islands. Mister Webb said that now there will be only full members in CONCACAF. Countries who'll have the same rights and duties! So Guadeloupe, Martinique, French Guyana, Saint-Martin and Sint-Maarten have applied to join FIFA while having Jeffrey Webb's support. Delegates from this five countries met with CONCACAF and FIFA leaders to discuss their current situation. FIFA through its secretary general Jérome Valcker says it supports this request. Soon, French Football Federation, Dutch Football Federation, CONCACAF and FIFA will study the case of each country.

So Guadeloupe, Martinique, French Guyana, Saint-Martin and Sint-Maarten in FIFA? It's at 99,99% done!

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok what do we need to do for each of the 50 states (in the USA) to be independent FIFA members?

soccersubjectively repped this.
  3. Gwadaboyz 72

Gwadaboyz 72 Member

Jun 27, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Should you already have the agreement of the federal state with the risk that USA will no longer exist! :)
    Seriously, the 50 states are part of the Union. This is not for example the case of Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, is it? Florida, Ohio, Texas or California are not in CONCACAF, are they? Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, yes they are! Guadeloupe, Martinique, French Guyana, Saint-Martin and Sint-Maarten are too!
    Understand that CONCACAF wants to reform its statutes. They decided there will be no associate members, there will be only full members with same rights and duties! So Guadeloupe, Martinique, French Guyana, Saint-Martin and Sint-Maarten will no doubt be full CONCACAF and FIFA members! Seen?

mthen1115 and sowrong repped this.
  4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I am sure you know more about French politics than I do, I was under the impression that some French Caribbean positions were part of France as in Departments or municipalities, meaning like say Illinois or Chicago being part of the USA. But I bet it is way more complicated than that.

And do not get me started on the stupidity of Wales, N. Ireland, Scotland and England having their own “National” teams.

EDIT Is Gibraltar part of UEFA?

Imagine a Falkland Islands NT playing in Conmebol, the Argentina FA would flip.

5. Gwadaboyz 72

Gwadaboyz 72 Member

Jun 27, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Is Gibraltar part of UEFA? Gibraltar is a provisional member of UEFA and will be a full member next year.

In 1946, after World War II, it passed an assimilation law in order to integrate Guadeloupe, Martinique and French Guyana to the French Republic as Departments like others departments in France. They assimilated Guadeloupe, Martinique and French Guyana due to social equality. But a few years later, people realized this equality between France and Guadeloupe, Martinique and French Guyana would never be guaranteed. During the 80's, there was in Guadeloupe a strong independence movement. At that time, there were leaders in Guadeloupe soccer who were nationalists. And they felt that Guadeloupe soccer should integrate into Caribbean and Latin-American environment. So, with the agreement of the French Football Federation, CONCACAF and FIFA, Guadeloupe, Martinique, French Guyana and Saint-Martin came in CONCACAF.
    Currently, France and the rest of European Union budget is in crisis. They no longer have this ability providencial state. So the question of Guadeloupe, Martinique and French Guyana greater autonomy is increasingly raised. Who says political autonomy says sports autonomy! Especially with the good results obtained by Guadeloupe in the 2007 and 2009 CONCACAF Gold Cup, our country must also legitimately take part in World Cup qualifying. Right?

6. SocaWarrior23

SocaWarrior23 Member

Jun 7, 2007
    College Park MD
    This is very exciting news for caribbean football. If Martinique & Guadeloupe become full FIFA members then their national teams will no doubt become better. In the case of Guadeloupe this is already a top 8 concacaf team and will get better because they will be able to play more matches together and attract more quality players. I could see players like Ciani, Capoue & Yoan Gouffran deciding to join the Guadeloupe project when the see chances of qualifying for the 2016 Copa and the 2018 WC. On paper Guadeloupe could arguably be the 2nd most talented team in the region if they get some of their best french eligible players to join. Martinique also could become a quality team as well with their french eligible players. Now all we need is for Suriname to change their immigration rules and the caribbean will be truly exciting.

7. fero

fero Member

Oct 31, 2011
    Argentina
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    that mean in the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualification gonna be 40 teams competing? for 3,5 spots?

8. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is good new for CONCACAF and Caribbean football. Not sure how it will work, but I hope it comes through.

I think Gold Cup could actually become a proper 16 team tournament. I think we have 10 fairly consistent teams in our six Hex teams + the next best 4: Mexcio, USA, Honduras, Costa Rica, Jamaica, Panama + El Salvador, Guatemala, Trinidad & Tobago, Canada.

I think the following teams can compete for the final 6 spots in the GC: Guadeloupe, Cuba, Haiti, Suriname, Antigua & Barbuda, Guyana, Grenada, Nicaragua, Belize, Dominican Republic, Martinique.

9. fero

fero Member

Oct 31, 2011
    Argentina
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    2015 Gold Cup
    just invite the 15 most populous
    1 United States 315,791,000
    2 Mexico 116,147,000
    3 Canada 34,675,000
    4 [​IMG] Guatemala 15,138,000
    5 Cuba 11,249,000
    6 Haiti 10,256,000
    7 [​IMG] Dominican Republic 10,183,000
    8 [​IMG] Honduras 7,912,000
    9 [​IMG] El Salvador 6,264,000
    10 [​IMG] Nicaragua 5,955,000
    11 [​IMG] Costa Rica 4,794,000
    12 [​IMG] Puerto Rico (US)[4] 3,743,000
    13 [​IMG] Panama 3,625,000
    14 [​IMG] Jamaica 2,761,000
    15 [​IMG] Trinidad and Tobago 1,351,000
    and make a qualification for the 16th spot
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_North_American_countries_by_population
    (also the british colonies-provinces hahahah)

10. faiyez

faiyez Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    That's quite unfair to all the caribbean nations that punch well above their weight in football with respect to their population.

11. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh, no. Not to mention no qualifying matches would kill the ranking for all the central american/Caribbean nations. And the fact that population has nothing to do with quality onf the field (Dominican Republlic ahead of Honduras and Costa Rica.

12. fero

fero Member

Oct 31, 2011
    Argentina
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    My system still make 99,49% north americans happy, 544,984,400 exactly.

13. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're adding countries' populations you have to keep in mind all the Americans who root for a team other than the USA or don't care about soccer.

14. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, any word or news here?

15. jballgebs

jballgebs New Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Anyone have news on whether any of the CONCACAF members that don't belong to FIFA are going to apply to FIFA?

I read somewhere that Sint Maarten was going to apply in 2016 but haven't heard anything since. In my opinion they shouldn't have any issue getting into FIFA.

I think it's extremely screwed up that the French federation is blocking teams like French Guiana, Martinique, Guadeloupe, and Saint Martin from applying to FIFA. All these teams (maybe not Saint Martin) can seriously compete with the top teams in CONCACAF and could be competitive in World Cup qualifiers. It's just a shame. France already has such a vast selection of players to choose from, it should be the players of those countries choice if they want to play with France or not.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

16. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Its in France best interest that they don't allow them to go rogue or independent. Ligue Uns worst nightmare is losing half their squads for half the year.

17. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Saint Martin probably could gain FIFA status if they tried as they are a "overseas collectivity" same as French Polynesia (who are FIFA members) and those have a lot of autonomy from France. New Caledonia have yet another classification but that is also one with lots of autonomy and that allows them too to be FIFA members.
    French Guiana, Martinique and Guadeloupe on the other hand are unlikely to get FIFA status as they are "overseas regions" which legally means they are just as much a part of France as Bretagne, Provence, Corsica or Paris..

I don't know enough about Dutch laws/politics to comment on which category Sint Maarten is likely to belong to.