Group H - 2018 FIFA WCQ – AFC Second Round

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by Suren01, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #76 Pelefan, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
    Another factor in the attendance I wanted to point out is that the game was played in the middle of a tropical thunderstorm. That probably scared a few fans away but also highlighted the perseverance of those who did come(7500) because they all went home wet and probably had a longer ride to and from the stadium, because of flooded driving conditions which worsened the typical work day rush hour traffic, especially since the stadium is more than an hour or several hours drive from Manila depending on where you live. The fans who were present, were loud and vocal in their support though, so that more than made up for it.

As for the results, they gave up 2 goals within the first few minutes, because the goalie had a hard time holding on to anything because of the weather, forcing them to play catchup, giving up somewhat on their defensive plans, and leaving them vulnerable to counterattacks. The important thing is they kept on trying to score goals and did not bunker up. I think they are going to do better next time even though it will be an away game.

dinamo_zagreb repped this.
  2. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #77 Pelefan, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
    Here is what our Schrock had to say:

The Fil-German midfielder rued the early two goals from the Uzbeks, which he said, completely threw the Azkals off of their game[​IMG].
    “Unfortunately, it changed our game plan[​IMG] for the whole 90 minutes. We knew we had the opportunity to beat the team, but if the first two shots went in, that’s football,” he said, as he looked for the right words to utter.

“It’s hard because of the first two early goals[​IMG]. Everything changed. Uzbekistan was dropping back, waiting for counters. It’s hard to find some positive things. There were still some positive things but at the moment, I can’t think of it,” he said.

Here is what Uzbekistan's coach had to say:

Though we won 5-1, I think Philippines has a well-organized team and I can also underline the coaching job with the play of the team,” he said. “I think the game was very tough and I think my players[​IMG] did all the things that I said."

3. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    upload_2015-9-16_16-57-36.png

With that massive win, Uzbeks are back in contention. given the quality of this group, unfortunate that we wont see (possible) the 2nd place team into the final rounds of the World Cup qualifying.

4. Nurafshon

Nurafshon Member+

Jun 28, 2007
    Germany
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
  5. Diego Aguirre

Diego Aguirre Member+

Oct 4, 2015
    Tashkent
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    Good luck to Philippine in the game against North Korea, you should take at least a point from this match, but tremendous Korean support and awful artificial grass waiting for you(

Pelefan repped this.
  6. Diego Aguirre

Diego Aguirre Member+

Oct 4, 2015
    Tashkent
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    Did you notice youngsters Siddikov and Abdullayev training with senior team yesterday, i think there a plenty of better young players like Khamdamov or Kamilov which deserve to be capped[​IMG]

7. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #82 Pelefan, Oct 5, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    I am not expecting too much from our away games especially since we will be missing our best striker to injury and have very little time to practice. I am hoping we can obtain draws in both matches but I am sure the intimidating atmosphere in Pyongyang will play a factor in the result. The long travel time across the continent to Bahrain from Pyongyang with a Beijing stopover, on only a few days rest, might also affect their performance in the 2nd away game.

The UFL season also ended more than a month ago and the domestic based players might not be as sharp as the teams they will be playing with, so it will be up to the European based players to pick up the slack.

8. Nurafshon

Nurafshon Member+

Jun 28, 2007
    Germany
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    They were just training with the team in stead od Akhmedov, Tursunov and Denisov who were not with the team. BTW, Denisov didn't fly to Bahrain, because he was injured in his last game.

9. Diego Aguirre

Diego Aguirre Member+

Oct 4, 2015
    Tashkent
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    very strange, but he played in the last Lokomotiv's game against Amkar

10. Nurafshon

Nurafshon Member+

Jun 28, 2007
    Germany
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    yes, 74 minutes, then we was substituted.

11. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #86 Pelefan, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    A taste of Pyongyang, N Korea from the Azkals perspective:

It was a nice first impression to say the least.
    The Philippine Azkals arrived here Monday afternoon pleasantly surprised at how clean and developed the city looked despite its reputation as one of the most isolated cities in the world.

Riding the bus from the newly-refurbished Pyongyang International Airport to Hotel Koryo in downtown Pyongyang, the Azkals saw a glimpse of life in the North Korean capital ahead of their showdown with the hosts in a World Cup Qualifying match on Thursday.
    They saw farmers hard at work in a rural area near the airport, before passing through monuments, parks and schools. Just as the Azkals bus approached the city, school children were rehearsing a parade. On intersections, uniformed officers saluted as the Azkals convoy passed.
    Noticeably, there are designated bicycle lanes, but electric buses and trains seem to be the main mode of transportation for locals. The Azkals bus also came across a few taxi cabs on the way to the hotels.
    Apartment units and mid rise buildings abound in the capital with pink and light blue as the dominant colors. Huge billboards of late leaders Kim Il Sung and Kim Jung Il are plastered on major thoroughfares as well as school buildings.
    “I was surprised about the look of North Korea over here from the beautiful airport to the streets, it was very clean,” said Azkals coach Thomas Dooley, the German-American mentor. “At the moment, the place is very clean and people are very friendly.”
    The city is notorious for power outages and players were surprised to see buildings not as well-lit as those in Manila when they returned from training Monday night.
    For several players like Misagh Bahadoran, seeing Pyongyang was like a welcome respite from the chaotic traffic situation in Manila.
    Azkals captain Phil Younghusband liked the cool, breezy weather and hoped it stayed that way on Thursday when they face North Korea for a critical Group H game.
    Unlike the Philippine Sports Stadium in Bulacan where natural grace is the playing surface, Kim Il Sung Stadium is equipped with astro turf and Younghusband said the playing area is wider than that of Rizal Memorial Stadium and PSS.
    The Azkals were allowed to bring their mobile phones to the country as well as their laptops, although they needed to declare it with customs at the airport. There’s no wireless internet connection in the hotel where the team is staying, but broadband connection is available for a fee of 10 dollars an hour. Social network sites Twitter and Facebook can also be accessed in the hotel.

Read more: http://sports.inquirer.net/195603/a...ad-of-wcq-duel-with-north-korea#ixzz3npK1Hmcg

BTW, a Chinese referee has been designated for the Philippine's match against North Korea, not a good decision for the Azkals.

Kurdii110 repped this.
  12. Kurdii110

Kurdii110 Member

Jul 13, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Good luck.

Pelefan repped this.
  13. Diego Aguirre

Diego Aguirre Member+

Oct 4, 2015
    Tashkent
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    these bastards didn't allow our players to bring their mobiles and even flashcards

14. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's interesting .... was there in 2013 and they let us bring in our mobiles no prob... they didn't work mind you, but I kept getting South Korean signals at the DMZ lol....

15. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    This week, the the Philippine national men’s football team embarks on a rare journey to North Korea for the resumption of its FIFA World Cup qualifiers campaign.

Unlike regular Azkals games, this match against North Korea on Thursday won’t be having television coverage – really not surprising, since the reclusive nation’s state TV rarely airs live broadcasts.

But you’re a big fan of the Azkals, and you believe that you shouldn’t miss this one. Well, there is just one and only option left: go to North Korea.

Is it even possible? Of course it is, only if you are willing to subject yourself to the strict rules of the Hermit Kingdom.

InterAksyon.com provides you this Q-and-A guide on how you can visit North Korea, the world’s most isolated country in the world.

Q: Where is North Korea?

A: It’s situated, err, North of South Korea. But don’t ever dare of entering the North from the South. The two countries remain at war for over 50 years now, since the Korean War ended in an armistice instead of a peace agreement in 1953.

While they share the same border, called the Demilitarized Zone, it is heavily guarded by soldiers from both sides who, technically, can just exchange shots and resume the war at any moment.

But this is actually utilized as a tourist spot, and if you are coming from the South , this is the closest you can get to North Korea.

Q: OK, so how do I get to North Korea?

A: Tourists wanting to visit North Korea are required to avail of the services of a state-accredited travel agency, which will arrange all of your travel needs – from your visa, flight tickets and hotels, to itinerary.

The easiest entry point to North Korea available right now is China. Here, you have two options: ride an overnight train to Pyongyang from Dandong, China’s border city next to North Korea; or fly via Air Koryo, North Korea’s flagship air carrier. The trip is just about two hours from Beijing to Pyongyang.

Q: How much will I need to go there?

A: Travel agencies offer all-in packages for its North Korea tours. There are others which offer tours that are specialized for the Azkals-North Korea game, with one amounting to $1900 for four full days.

Q: Is it hard to obtain a visa?

A: While there is a perception that acquiring a North Korean visa is very tough, getting one is actually not that difficult. The agencies claim that North Korea rarely denies a visa if you’re going on a tour; however, it’s the complete opposite for journalists and South Koreans.

Q: Will my phone be confiscated upon entering North Korea? Is there internet?

A: North Korea has been known for barring its citizens to have any sort of access to the outside world, and that applies also for tourists. However, its rules have become lax as it now allows outsiders to bring their phones in. Of course, you still have to buy a local sim worth $42, and if you want to stay connected to the internet, you have to purchase a 3G sim card for a whopping $200 that comes with free 15 MB of data and charges $0.28 for every succeeding MB.

But North Korea prohibits any gadgets that can connect through satellites and GPS.

Q: Will I be allowed to walk around and take pictures?

A: Tourists in North Korea are very tightly guarded, and you shouldn’t even think of sneaking out. The communist state slaps hefty penalties to those who violate rules.

Taking pictures is allowed, but only of the places permitted by your guide. They won’t hesitate to get your camera or phone and delete any photos if they feel that you disobeyed them.

It is also important to note that any tourist visiting North Korea should respect the country’s customs and traditions. At home, you may talk all you want about how you hate this communist nation. But once you are there, you should just keep your mouth shut if you don’t have anything good to say.

Q: Are there Filipinos in North Korea?

A: You can find Filipinos everywhere in the world, and unusual as it may seem, there are seven OFWs in North Korea. Five are working for international organizations while two are from a cigarette company.

There have been only two reported visits by Filipino officials in North Korea: one in 2007 when then-Foreign Affairs secretary Alberto Romulo made the first visit by any Philippine government official, and in 2013 when top officials from both countries met to strengthen their bilateral ties.

However, it is very rare for any sports team to go to North Korea, and the Azkals will be the first Philippine sports team to ever set foot on this nation.

Q: I am pumped up to watch the Azkals against the North Korea football team! What should I expect?

A: The match will take place at the Kim Il-sung Stadium, which is listed as having a capacity of 55,000. The venue is usually packed every time the North Korea national team plays, and expect nothing less as the match is part of its journey towards the FIFA World Cup.

Q: I’m convinced! I still have a day left before the game! I’ll pack my bags tonight and go to North Korea immediately!

A: Sorry to burst your bubble, but you just can’t just decide to go to North Korea and hop on a plane the day after. Travel agencies require weeks, or even months, for them to process and arrange all your travel needs.

www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/wanna-watch-the-azkals-play-in-north-korea-heres-a-guide-on-how-you-can-get-there

16. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Good luck to white wolves and Azkals.

Diego Aguirre and Pelefan repped this.
  17. Kurdii110

Kurdii110 Member

Jul 13, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Is it still 0-0?

18. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #93 Pelefan, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    0-0 HT Philipppines-N Korea

N Korea playing a direct style relying more on their size and speed while the Philippines relies more on the possession game.

60' Still 0-0

19. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Selection of songs from the N Korean fans acc. to a Korean guide on inq.ph tweets:

"We will follow the Party."
    "we are the Korean youth."
    "We will defend the general Kim Jung-il."

20. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is good for Uzbekistan...

21. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    80' Still 0-0

22. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Good for the Philippines too for an away game in this tough group especially considering that Uzbekistan had fallen behind 0-4 to N Korea by the end of the 1st half.

23. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Azkals box under siege but they stay strong. Etheridge collects a high ball. 89' now still 0-0

Chinese referee now declares 8' stoppage time. Unbelievable.

24. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not just unbelievable, but I'd say that is... Kim Jong Un-believable!

25. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #100 Pelefan, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    FT. Philippines 0-0 North Korea just as I predicted it in prediction game. ;) Good result for the Azkals now with a total of 7 points in 4 games.

Diego Aguirre and +PL+ repped this.