Group G: Preview & Analysis

Discussion in 'GROUP G: Belgium, England, Tunisia, Panama' started by Blondo, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Naffster

Naffster New Member

AC Milan
    Tunisia
    May 29, 2018
    I think Martinez isn’t utilizing some of his players to the best of their potential specially De Bruyne.

2. Matn1234

Matn1234 New Member

Barcelona
    Belgium
    Apr 18, 2018
    Man I can't agree with you. We conceded 1 goal in 3 games. If you saw yesterdays game Belgium gave away 1 chance. An individual mistake by Vertonghen. We advanced and were a bit exposed at the back but against costa rica it doesn't matter if you score 4 goals. I'm confident that against a major team with Kompany/Vermaelen instead of Boyata we could lean back more and be more solid in the back. The counters were set up in an amazing form as well. Honestly I never saw Belgium play this good and after a lucky 1-0 loss to Argentina in 2014 I'm convinced that we can get far.

ShaRule repped this.
  3. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think in 2014 quarterfinals was not that bad of an ending although they definitely could've gone farther. Losing to Argentina shouldn't be shameful. Lukaku looks to be in the mood to score and when he does the whole team seems to gel.

4. Haole

Haole Member

Feb 14, 2005
    costa mesa, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hazard is the difference. He can break down any defense. Has big game - they go the 16.

Lukaku, De Bruyne, Mertens must show up with 110% effort to give space to Hazard, otherwise? Eh....not so dangerous a side.

As an American I feel free to wear your colors. I lead the ‘All Action Fellaini Army’ hereabouts.

Sven Nyss forever.

Good luck Red Devils.

TotaalVoetbal repped this.
  5. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    No, good luck to you and your team! :D:D:D:D:D

7. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Hope its a draw tomorrow and we get more bookings

The Potter repped this.
  8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Looking at the brackets, bet both England and Belgium want to lose tomorrow.

The winner of this group gets into Murderers' Row.

9. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Currently England has first place in the group due to one less yellow. Will there be deliberate fouls tomorrow by reserves to try and win the Battle of the Yellows? I think we can assume that no goals will be scored, unless they are own goals. :p

10. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    To be frank, I'm supporting England tomorrow.

Japan currently top group H, like England in our group fair play points are being used as tiebreaker, and they could simply win their group after tomorrow's game against an already eliminated Poland. Assuming Japan manage to come first and by doing so avoid the half with the big guns the runners-up spot in our group will look very alluring.

[​IMG]

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    This has been such a fun group stage. Man.

So if things go according to plan, the top side of the bracket, where the winners of this group go, will look, using Elo:

#9 Uruguay vs. #5 Portugal
    #3 France vs. #11 Argentina
    #1 Brazil vs. #19 Mexico
    #10 Colombia vs. #4 England/#6 Belgium

While the other side looks:

#2 Spain vs. #45 Russia
    #8 Croatia vs. #15 Denmark
    #17 Sweden vs. #12 Switzerland
    #33 Japan vs. #6 Belgium/#4 England

Top side average ranking (without ENG/BEL) = 8.3

Bottom side average (without ENG/BEL) = 18.9

Big diff, perhaps the biggest I've seen between top and bottom brackets in a WC. Basically, the one obstacle between you and the final is the winner of the Spain-Croatia. If you lose (tie, get enough yellows) tomorrow, that is.

Christina99 repped this.
  12. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    I think it's not important at all for England in which half of the bracket they end up. After several disappointments expectations are low on them. Quarter-finals is considered a success. Then the difference of strenght between Colombia, Senegal and Japan is not too wide. Certainly Colombia should be considered the best side of this trio. However Colombia is absolutely betable. After that England has nothing to lose with this young team and low expecrations. So I don't see why they necessarily need to avoid the stronger half of the bracket.

It is Belguim that is under a lot more pressure to prove something with their golden generation. Another quarter-finals exit won't be satisfactory. So they will fancy their chances if they finish second and get the easier half of the bracket.

13. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We will win no doubt :( the left side of that draw looks so much higher quality . Saying that by the quarters, the quality should be pretty high all round. I don't think it's impossible Mexico beat Brazil, Brazil have not been great in group play over all, an upset is not impossible and while Mexico are far from flawless they do not play scared.

14. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Can someone start a Belgium-England game thread? This match should be one for the ages.

:ROFLMAO:

15. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Never mind, did it myself. Now if someone would sticky it. Thanks.

16. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    A draw and neither side gets a player carded or injured would be lovely.
    Ending up as runners-up will definitely shorten your odds while that won't be the case for the group's winner. Tomorrow Belgians should be supporting England (and vice versa) ... lol ... I hear England and Belgium supporters in Kaliningrad were watching Germany getting knocked out today and celebrating S.Korea's goals together, LMAO.

17. user02B

user02B New Member

Jun 27, 2018
    I think some of you are dismissing japan a little too easily. The skill difference shown within group H hasn't been rather large. Of course the right side of the bracket is easier, no doubt about that.

18. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No one is dismissing Japan. Certainly not Belgain and English fans, we know we can be beat by pretty much anybody, and Japan have looked a tidy team. But everybody has preferences, silly to pretend otherwise.

19. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    England 6 points and Belgium 6 points. Panama and Tunisia 0 points each. Was this the easier group of this WC? Group A was pretty easy too, but in this one the 0 point sides have even more goals against. Considering how hard fought were most of the groups in this WC, its remarkable how clearly topped this group was.