Group G Allstar Team

Discussion in 'Group G: Germany, Ghana, USA, Portugal' started by vancity eagle, May 14, 2014.

1. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    ****************************************NEUER************************************************

LAHM***********************PEPE*****************MERTESACKER*****************CONTREAO

**************************SCHWEINSTEIGER********KWADWO***********************************

*****************************************GOTZE***************************************************

REUS*********************************************************************************RONALDO

*********************************************GYAN**********************************************

00Kevin and zahzah repped this.
  2. paulalanr

paulalanr Member

Nov 5, 2013
    New Orleans, LA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol. this is flat out wrong if it doesn't contain Michael Bradley, and arguably Tim Howard.

If the US ends up with good results in the group, the opponents will be caught rueing the day they underrated Mr. Bradley.

00Kevin repped this.
  3. paulalanr

paulalanr Member

Nov 5, 2013
    New Orleans, LA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention that I can see Dempsey outplaying Gyan in this tournament. But he's kind of a hot & cold player, so time will tell on that one.

4. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006

There are a lot of quality midfielders who did not make the cut who are arguably better than Bradley

Moutinho
    Kevin Prince
    Dede Ayew
    Ozil

Its a talented group of midfielders

Howard was a close call too, but I went with Neuer

5. paulalanr

paulalanr Member

Nov 5, 2013
    New Orleans, LA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's fair, but I think Bradley can change a game at literally any level. It may be passing form, but he's possibly the most impactful player the US has ever produced. Next month will tell just how good he is.

Nice idea, by the way!

6. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Bradley is a stud no doubt, but it's some deep competition in this group and very subjective. Its good Zahzah didn't make this list, it would have been 10 Ghana players + Ronaldo.

7. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Fully agree with the list, aside from Mertesacker at CB - it shoukd be Hummels.

Germany 6
    Portugal 3
    Ghana 2
    USA 0

8. 00Kevin

00Kevin Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    SoCal
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's mine:

GK: Tim Howard
    DEF: Timmy Chandler, Geoff Cameron, Matt Besler, DaMarcus Beasley
    MID: Graham Zusi, Jermaine Jones, Michael Bradley, Fabian Johnson
    FOR: Clint Dempsey, Jozy Altidore

[​IMG]

Skippysasquirrel and AOATLdrake repped this.
  9. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #9 fingersave, May 30, 2014
    Last edited: May 30, 2014
    I think this is a good example of the way that perspective informs opinion.

It's nobody's fault and not necessarily a bad thing but we're really only familiar with the things in our surroundings.

The US team is certainly capable of escaping this group. Everyone knows it. However, nobody is able to really understand the minutia of such a thing. Is it because of the players? The coach? The collective team spirit? Industry? Resolve? Like with any team, all of those things are a factor.

I think that it's important to realize that the US team has some fantastic players and that it takes a little humility to understand that their players, though grown in a different environment by and large, are also of high quality.

The fact that we are so willing to discount the players from certain countries in our group evaluation reveals more about our biases than it does about the players.

Case in point: Forlan in the last world cup. Forlan did not have the type of success in England that many expected. But in a lesser squad in Spain, Forlan thrived. Entering the world cup Forlan was not on the tip of anyone's tongue. Forlan was a clear top player of the tournament, IMO. The guy was a dominant force and pulled an underdog to great heights through individual brilliance. Some players have immeasurable pride in their nation. Forlan is one of those.

I think that the US team is full of those types of players. None at the level of Forlan, but many who can have brilliant tournaments. I'd say that Howard, Bradley, Dempsey, Jermaine Jones, and Jozy Altidore are all that type of player.

00Kevin repped this.
  10. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    The only reasons I'd throw Howard a bone are...

1. C'mon... give the USA something here.

2. Howard has a tendency to go Beast Mode when the US defense is getting shelled by superior opponents. See USA v England in 2010 or USA vs Spain in 09.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  11. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    -----------Neur------------
    Lahm---Pepe--Alves--Coentrao---
    ------------William-------------
    -------Goetze---Moutinho--
    Nani------Postiga-----------Ronaldo

doritos93 repped this.
  12. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    WOW so many Portuguese players - they must win the group then with 9 points :ROFLMAO:

NMMatt repped this.
  13. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a post-round all-star team:

GK: Howard
    Fullbacks: Lahm, Mertesacker, Pepe, Fabian Johnson
    Midfield: Kwadwo, Schweinsteiger, Bradley, Ronaldo
    Forwards: Dempsey, Klose

Germany and USA go through. USA surprises with a flourish of goals in the opening round and gets through when they beat Germany 2-1 in the match that closes the round for both of them. At that point Germany has already qualified with two wins and the USA must win to pass through.

USA wins the group with 7 points.

(By the way, Germany fans...we still haven't forgotten that Torsten Frings handball that kept us from the World Cup Semifinal in 2002. ;) We'll exact those reparations this year. :D )

Skippysasquirrel and paulalanr repped this.
  14. Neutral2

Neutral2 Member

Apr 30, 2006
    Germany
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Finally some US fans which believe in their team. :thumbsup: The negativity in your forums annoyed me.

I agree with the team in the opening post.

15. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have watched the US in the World Cup since 1990. I attended several World Cup matches here in 1994. I have played in the competitive systems here and watched the USMNT grow for almost 30 years.

This team is different.

It is very much like the team of 2002, except that we have some players on this team who have tasted the top levels of the game and have done well there. Jermaine Jones, Dempsey, Bradley, Howard...that core is probably the best core we have ever had. That's not to mention the budding somewhat younger players on the team like Altidore, Fabian Johnson, Aron Johannson, etc.

This team is weaker on the wings then we are used to, but it is strong combining up the center of the field.

16. jus2nang

jus2nang Member

Dec 12, 2005
    North London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Germany + Ronaldo.

Cris 09 repped this.
  17. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lol....

Quoted for truth.

18. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I would have picked Landykuchen if Klinsy had invited him....

*runs*

trolololo....

19. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    Well certainly no Portuguese players need to be anywhere near an "all-star" team. Probably Germany + Howard. Germany for obvious reasons and Howard over Neuer because Neuer is going to be having a nap most of the tournament while Howard leads the US in touches while we won :D.

20. prince6666

prince6666 Member

May 31, 2010
    Hamburg
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You forgot one important issue: Germany will try to be first. Just because of the further constellation....

21. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey is the best forward in the group after the first round of games. I'd put Geoff Cameron and the German center back not named Mertesacker at CB. Fabian Johnson and Tim Howard also make the cut. Jermaine Jones gets the nod in the midfield.

22. Snoop-a-luh

Snoop-a-luh Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    USA is by FAR the best TEAM of the group.

23. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Very well could be...

There seems to be a certain harmony between the players. But "by FAR"...with caps on "far" and "TEAM"...?

No.

Germany is a pretty good "TEAM" as well so...not "by far". I just think Portugal was THAT BAD!!!

24. Snoop-a-luh

Snoop-a-luh Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Cris 09,

Germany and USA are the best teams of the group, you are right, Germany has a good team chemistry, but looking at the potential of each player I still say USA has the best TEAM of the group, hope you understand what I mean.

25. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I do...100% and I agree. But when you said, "by FAR"...I think it's pushing it. Ghana do not have the best talent either but play pretty damn good as a TEAM as well. My issue was not with the comment...but the following comment. Just like I usually have issues with "absolutes".