Group E Predictions

Discussion in 'Group E - Belgium, Italy, Ireland, Sweden' started by Italy-Azzurri-Fan, May 2, 2016.

?

Who will win this group?

1. Belgium

12 vote(s)
    41.4%
  2. Italy

12 vote(s)
    41.4%
  3. Republic of Ireland

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. Sweden

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hey All
    I hope we are all looking forward to Euro 2016, and since my team Italy is in this group, I am very proud to be the one starting the first thread on Group E forum.

So anyway what do you all think about this group? How do you think this will turn out?

2. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #2 Italy-Azzurri-Fan, May 2, 2016
    Last edited: May 2, 2016
    I'll go first.

So truthly Group E I think is probably the hardest to predict because I honestly think all four of these teams are capable of beating each other on their day.

Let's start with Belgium. The talent is here, and there are a few world class players in this team. One player to especially look out for is De Bruyne. De Bruyne was one of the best players in the world cup and had an amazing season last season and this season as well is turning out to be a pretty good season for him. For the defense Kompany is good when fit, but a big question is can he stay healthy, and will he be at his best? Alderweireld has also been having a really good season, but where he will be played is another question, his normal position is center back and he has been a beast for Spurs this season, but Wilmonts likes to play him as a full back due to lack of actual full backs the team has. Nainggolan is also a player to watch out for, as he has arguably been one of Roma's best players and he can really cause tons of problems both in attack and defense. He is a really aggressive box to box midfielder. Then I think Lukaku is the favorite to start up front as a striker but there is also Benteke and Batshuayi that can't be forgotten. Then of course there is Hazard who is supposed to be a world class player, but has had a dreadful season and he has never seemed to perform as well for Belgium as he did for Chelsea. Mertens is an inconsistent player, sometimes he can be amazing, while other times he is nowhere to be seen. So pretty much my feeling for Belgium is the talent is there, and they do have the players to win this whole thing, but Wilmonts seems clueless on how to get the best out of his players, because so far he definitely hasn't been getting anywhere near the best out of his players. Again I also must say a HUGE question mark could be how Hazard performs, because he has been underperforming this season. If Wilmonts finds the right team and right playstyle I think Belgium can win this group.

Now moving on to Azzurri, my team. So to start with I have to say that I think the defense is pretty much set, as you have Chiellini, Bonucci, and Barzagli doing amazing in a back three at Juventus all season, I mean there is no arguing that the BBC will probably form the best defense in this whole tournament. Also Buffon of course, still world class despite not being in his prime anymore and the fact that he plays with BBC all season around is a plus. So the defense is pretty much all set in the very back. Now a huge blow for this team is Marchisio's injury. He has torn a ligament about 3 weeks ago, and is for sure ruled out of this tournament so he won't be there. However Verratti is world class and arguably one of the best midfielders in the world. Other than the injury Verratti just recovered from, he has been having an amazing season and Verratti is one of the only players that is very comfortable on the ball and always knows what to do with it when he has it. Without Marchisio, there is a question mark on who will be starting next to Verratti. De Rossi has been solid for Roma and still has a lot to offer, and due to his aggressiveness he could take the spot, but Conte has been talking about snubbing Pirlo and DDR according to rumors. Pirlo could be there, but I don't see him taking a starting spot, especially since his season so far is mediocre at best. Motta, Montolivo, and Jorginho have been tested there as well last friendlies, but none of them have really stood out although Jorginho was only there for like 10 min if I recall correctly. Out wide Florenzi seems to have booked his spot there and has been really outstanding. The other side is still a toss up though. One thing this team seems to have trouble with is in attack. The talent is there with players like Berardi, Bernardeschi, and Belotti, but the fact is I am not sure how many of these players will be ready yet. Belotti has probably no chance of making the squad. Berardi maybe but hasn't played a game yet so I don't think so. On the wings it will probably be Insigne, Candreva, and Bernardeschi. Insigne and Bernardeschi have been exceptional this season, and will add a lot of things to the attack, while Candreva has had a mediocre season but has been exceptional every time he played for Italy. Then for a striker its probably between Zaza and Pelle battling it up although Gabbiadini might have a slim chance as well. Kind of a similar problem to Belgium, the talent and players are there to be a world class team, but whether Conte has what it takes and can find the right rythemn for the team is questionable.

Now for Sweden and Ireland, they are both capable of causing upsets. I must say I have been very impressed with Ireland throughout the qualification campaign specifically coming out of both games against Germany with at least a point, while one of them they got three points. No doubt Germany was not at their best, but still something that cannot be taken lightly. Ireland has a solid and organized defense that can be really hard to break down at times, and have the players that can counterattack especially Shane Long and Walters. I see Ireland causing at least one upset in this group. Sweden on the other hand have let me down during qualifying and haven't impressed me at all. Whether Ibrahimovic is happy or angry could have a great effect on the whole team's performance as well. The fact that Sweden got smashed 4-1 at home to Austria as well as not being able to take 3 points from any games against Austria and Russia, makes me question them. Sweden is capable of causing damage on their day especially if Ibrahimovic is in form and really wants it, but the chances of that happening in all three games are quite slim.

So overall I think Belgium and Italy will take first and second place. I don't know which one will win and which will be runners up, as they both look quite similar and it will all depend on how the two coaches use the players and in what mood everyone is in. I'll tip Italy because they are my team, but if you want the honest truth either one can win it, with maybe Belgium being slight favorites over Italy due to better success in the 2014 world cup, and I also think Wilmonts has a better idea of which players he will use, than Conte does. Conte seems to still be tinkering around, which could cost the team a bit.

Then I am tipping Ireland to upset a team somehow and snatch third place and go through as one of the best third placed teams, with Sweden not getting past the group stages. Ibrahimovic has had a good season in Ligue 1 but when it came to the knockouts in the UCL as well as Real Madrid, Ibrahimovic seemed to struggle a lot and that was with many world class players, while Ibrahimovic will not even get half the quality of support with Sweden as he does with PSG, so I don't think Zlatan will be too big of a threat at all to any team. They will just have to keep an eye on him and make sure he is marked.

nirvaanfc repped this.
  3. Wolves1889

Wolves1889 Member

Mar 13, 2016
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Maybe its because I`m frpm Sweden but I beg to differ somewhat.
    We are on our way up again and will be a tougher team to beat than the one Austria and Russia faced.
    The balance is now better and our defence might come together just in time for Euro 2016.
    We are no worldbeaters but we are surely not worse than Ireland.Our match against Eire can go either way.
    Italy isn´t impressing all that much and we could very well get a result against them.
    Belgium might be clear for the last 16 before we meet them in our last groupmatch.

I definetly think we will get at least four points out of those three games and that should be enough to qualify for the last 16.Key is not to lose against Ireland in the opening game.

Otherwise I think like most and believe Belgium will win the group with Italy as runners up.

4. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Due to the Group E effect ... if you top it, expecting Spain or Croatia in the RO16 ... Germany in the QFs ... France in the SFs ... probably better to avoid ending up as group leader ... the runner-up could very well be rewarded with an easier path.

5. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah I was kind of picturing that as well.

6. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    #6 Blondo, May 7, 2016
    Last edited: May 7, 2016
    IDK if this is true but I heard that when Ireland qualifies, 2 teams from their group have always faced each other in the final #MagicalIrishMidgets #IRLSWE

IF ... and that's a big if ... we could go all the way, I wouldn't mind a "France@EURO2000 scenario" (they were runner-up in a group with a very strong Dutch side ... beating Spain, Portugal and Italy to become European champions). It was a memorable EC with great matches ... not for us (eventhough we had a sh1t side back then, we still managed to disappoint) ... the path doesn't matter when you can't get out of the group ... and this is a very hard group (only 2 teams could advance ... better roll up our sleeves from the start). If we switched places with Spain, in the other hard group, I wouldn't complain (Turkey, Croatia and the Czech Rep. seem more manageable, at least I would expect the first 2 to give away more space and there's no group E effect).

7. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Platini Politics: what Platini doesn't want you to know and therefore must be true ... group E effect was designed to help France (not only did they get a cakewalk draw but group A will be at an advantage in the KO phase) ... and just look at the teams in group E: Belgium (longtime rivals, France has played most often against Belgium and for both France and Belgium our first official match was against each other), Italy (fierce footballing rivalry with headbutting), Ireland (Thierry Henry's handball) and Sweden.

8. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I honestly am hoping shitty France doesn't even get out of their group. Its possible. Albania beat them once and drew them another time in a friendly. Romania has a good defense and can beat France on their day. Switzerland as well, have the quality.

We Juventus must injure Pogba in the Coppa final so he doesn't get to play at the Euros.

9. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    I would rather beat them when they're at full strength ... same goes for you guys ... would have preferred to face a side with Marchisio and Verratti in it ... will Barzagli and Chiellini be fully fit? Kompany, Vermaelen and Origi are our biggest worries.

10. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Barzagli and Chiellini should be fully fit. Barzagli has only struggled with one injury this season, don't worry about him. Chiellini has had a series of injuries and is having some trouble recovering, but he is doing ok now, and plans to make a return at the Coppa Italia, so he should.

11. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I must say we are capable of topping this group, but I do think Belgium are really slight favorites over us, especially with Marchisio and Verratti out. Also we can't forget that Kompany will likely not be fully fit if he even plays. I just think that Belgium has a better idea of starting squad and formation than Italy does.

This is the formation we will probably start with:

-Insigne-Pelle-Bernardeschi-
    -Darmian-Pirlo-De Rossi-Florenzi-
    -Chiellini-Bonucci-Barzagli-
    -Buffon-​

12. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  14. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I just wish Verratti, Marchisio, and Kompany could all be playing. The tournament will not be nearly as exciting without them. And thats just Group E we are talking about. What about the injuries troubling France, Germany, and England specifically as well?

15. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard you say. Go support inter

lefutur repped this.
  16. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Why? I mean Pogba play in the Coppa Final, but after that we are done for the season, so he gets injured a little by say a Milan player to miss the Euros, but nothing serious. I am kind of joking, its a really dirty thing to say, and I do love Pogba a lot. It just shows how much I want Italy to win the Euros.

17. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No it just shows how dumb you are

lefutur repped this.
  18. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    OK I change my mind, I hope he doesn't get injured. I love Pogba and we need him.

19. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    He didnt actually post that right?

20. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    As I've said from day one. He's probably a Portuguese pretending to be a dumb Italian to troll us

21. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    That's a vile thing to say. I'm surprised you would say that out loud.

I don't like the Italian NT, but I'm extremely upset that Verratti is missing the Euros. Not only do I love him because he's a great player (and person) who plays for my club, but it's a loss for the tournament itself. And, more importantly, the health and wellbeing of all these players is way more important than football.

22. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    yeah, there are tons of injuries though and its really sad for the whole tournament:

Kompany
    Verratti
    Marchisio
    Gundogan

and a lot more.

23. Deand21594

Deand21594 Member+

Jan 24, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    We just lost to Belarus tonight but don't get too high and mighty, we experimented a lot with this one.

24. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You didn't even start your first team did you?

25. Deand21594

Deand21594 Member+

Jan 24, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    No not really. Gave a few of the guys who weren't making out 23 a run out to ease the blow of not making the cut. I'm disappointed at some of our final squad selection though. We were dealt a bad injury blow yesterday pretty game too, Harry arter pulled out. He was our alternative to James Mccarthy.