Group D Preview

Discussion in 'Group D - Spain, Czech Republic, Turkey, Croatia' started by nirvaanfc, Jun 4, 2016.

?

Who wins this group?

Poll closed Jun 13, 2016.
  1. Spain

70.0%
  2. Croatia

20.0%
  3. Turkey

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Czech Republic

10.0%
  1. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    https://footballfutbolcalciosoccer.blogspot.ca/2016/06/euro-2016-preview-group-d-spain-czech.html

Spain and Croatia to advance with the winner of Turkey and Czech Republic.

Euro 2016 Preview (Group D - Spain / Czech Republic / Turkey / Croatia)

Team: SPAIN
    Squad: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016_squads#Spain
    http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/season=2016/teams/team=122/squad/index.html
    Captain:Iker Casillas
    Key Players: Andres Iniesta; Koke; Sergio Busquets
    Potential Breakout Player: Alvaro Morata
    Notable Absentees: Dani Carvajal (injury); Saul (non-selection)
    Best Historical Finish: Winners (1964; 2008; 2012)
    Minimum Expectation: Semifinals
    How Far Could They Go: Winners
    The double defending Euro champions will enter the tournament as a favourite, with a wealth of options that probably would have seen a team of Spanish players left out via injury or non-selection (i.e. Saul, Torres, Gabi, Diego Costa, Carvajal, Isco, Callejon, Reina, Albiol, Javi Martinez, Mata, Cazorla, Gaya, Alcacer, Williams etc.) a potential favourite to win it all.

The Spanish will be looking to leave behind a disastrous 2014 World Cup and move towards a third consecutive Euro win. There is an interesting situation in goal, with De Gea having superseded St. Iker (who still remains captain). The defensive unit remains strong but beyond the duo of Pique/Ramos there seems to be a lack of a top class central defender. The wingbacks (Juanfran/Alba) are terrific attacking avenues. Busquets has mastered the defensive midfield role and will probably see an imperious quartet of Koke/Iniesta/Silva/Fabregas in front of him. The lone frontman will in all likelihood be Morata who could be a real contender for the Golden Boot.

Clear favourites to take this group, Spain will be challenged given the other teams all have enough to trouble them. Ultimately there will be no easy game in this group and perhaps that would worry most teams but with the level of talent available, Spain will advance.

Team: CZECH REPUBLIC
    Squad: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016_squads#Czech_Republic
    http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/season=2016/teams/team=58837/squad/index.html
    Captain: Tomas Rosicky
    Key Players: Petr Cech; Vladimir Darida; Pavel Kaderabek
    Potential Breakout Player: Ladislav Krejci
    Notable Absentee: Matej Vydra (non-selection)
    Best Historical Finish: Winners (1976 as Czechoslovakia); Runners-Up (1996)
    Minimum Expectation: Second Round
    How Far Could They Go: Second Round

The Czech Republic have consistently qualified for the tournament ever since the break up of Czechoslovakia. After reaching the final in 1996 they probably should have won the tournament in 2004 when they boasted arguably the best team in their history led by Nedved. They qualified for this edition as group winners, topping a section which included fellow qualifiers Turkey and Iceland as well as the disappointing Netherlands.

The team will be led by two players remaining from that 2004 squad. Cech remains one of the best goalkeepers in the world, whilst Rosicky will be the captain and despite having an injury ravaged latter part of his career still remains one of the finest technical midfielders in Europe. There are a few promising younger players coming through with the likes of Kaderabek, Krejci and Darida having been key in qualification.

This team could advance to the second round but it will require a herculean effort given in this Group of Death, the Czechs would be the minnows and their midfield in particular could suffer against three superior midfields. They have had rich history in this tournament but their closing game against the Turks probably will just be a battle for third place, a winner take all game.

Team: TURKEY
    Squad: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016_squads#Turkey
    http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/season=2016/teams/team=135/squad/index.html
    Captain: Arda Turan
    Key Players: Arda Turan; Nuri Sahin; Hakan Calhanoglu
    Potential Breakout Player: Hakan Calhanoglu
    Notable Absentee: Gokhan Tore (suspension)
    Best Historical Finish: Semifinals (2008)
    Minimum Expectation: Second Round
    How Far Could They Go: Second Round

Turkey are a tournament team, having gotten to the semis of World Cup 2002 and Euro 2008 when in each case very little was expected. The Turks will enter the tournament with a fresh lease of life. Through the early parts of the qualifying phase the Turks looked sure to miss out but wins in each of their last three games against the Dutch, Czechs and Iceland saw Turkey come from the brink to effectively eliminate the Dutch.

The Turkish squad is almost exclusively taken from the Turkish Superliga, but the four most important players all play outside of Turkey. In Turan, Calhanoglu, Sahin and Malli, the Turks have a midfield blessed with extremely technically gifted players. Turan will be fresh having barely featured for Barcelona this campaign, Sahin will need to get back to the levels when he inspired Borussia Dortmund to the Bundesliga title but it will be Malli/Calhanoglu who could get the goals from midfield to fire the Turks forward or at least create opportunities for Burak.

Inferior to the Spanish and Croatians, the Turks will be able to approach their first two games as underdogs but the final group game against the Czechs will effectively be a knockout game. A draw will probably see them both out.

Team: CROATIA
    Squad: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016_squads#Croatia
    http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/season=2016/teams/team=56370/squad/index.html
    Captain: Darijo Srna
    Key Players: Luka Modric; Mario Mandzukic; Ivan Rakitic
    Potential Breakout Player: Marcelo Brozovic
    Notable Absentees: Dejan Lovren (non-selection); Alen Halilovic (non-selection)
    Best Historical Finish: Quarterfinals (1996; 2008)
    Minimum Expectation: Quarterfinals
    How Far Could They Go: Final

The Croatians have produced some fantastic footballers and fantastic teams over the years, which appeared to have been at its zenith with a third place finish at World Cup 1998. This team is better and deeper than that one. The Croatians finished second behind the Italians in their qualifying group with only a shock defeat at Norway along the way. They conceded just five goals but scored twenty, showing a fine balance going forward and still keeping it tight at the back.

How good is this Croatian team? Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juventus, Inter Milan and Fiorentina all rely on Croatians to play key roles in their first XI. Subasic in goal is reliable playing behind an experienced defensive line led by Srna and Corluka. The midfield quintet boasts Modric/Kovacic/Rakitic/Brozovic/Perisic playing behind Mandzukic up top. There is a significant level of squad depth as well with the likes of Kramaric, Badelj, Vrsaljko and Kalinic all top players who will be relied on to spark the team off the bench.

A legitimate dark horse, Croatia may well be a better bet than even the highly rated Belgians to win it all. They boast deep squad, top quality players and no real weakness. If they can somehow overturn the Spanish to win the group, a path to the final may open up nicely for a group which could do something very special this summer.

2. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm so nervous, I have a bad feeling that if Turkey wins against Croatia in the Euro, Croatia will get their revenge in the qualifiers. I would like to see Turkey do well, but I also want to see them make the World Cup.

3. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not sure which team of the two you'd favour, but I'd prefer the Croatians. That being said, a game with similar excitement to the quarterfinal of 2008 would be fantastic, even if just a group game.

Another notable absentee I forgot for Turkey would be Omer Toprak who has been impressive for Bayer Leverkusen over the past few seasons. I believe his non-selection has to do with issues with the Turkish FA/coaching staff though.

4. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to see Turkey at a World Cup again.

5. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  6. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Croatian defenders seem weaker. Srna is older and he advances less forward. Corluka is slower and older. The main issue is LB player, Strinic or Vrsaljko. Only solid solution is Schildenfeld as CB player.

7. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    There was something magical about that 2002 team. The likes of Rustu, Sukur, Sas, Alpay, etc. Who could forget the rainbow flick against Brazil....

Quite the track record, 1 World Cup appearance and finished 3rd.

8. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'd agree they are a little older, Srna's best days are past him but he is still very good. Corluka is only 30 but feels like he has been around forever. The likes of Vrsaljko and Jedvaj should be given a real chance. They certainly aren't as fearsome as the days of Tudor (when fit), Kovac, Jarni, Simic, etc.

But that Croatian midfield is exquisite!

9. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just really hope they make it to Russia in 2018. That matters to me more than Turkey doing well at the Euros.

10. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Don't forget Vida from Dynamo Kyiv, he has been sensational.

11. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    LOL Turkey making the world cup? With the group they have? Not even a chance. Croatia, Iceland, and Ukraine are all better, and even one of those three have to miss out. It will most likely be Croatia and Ukraine, but Iceland has a slight chance.

12. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think their chances would have been very good regardless of what group they have. I want to see them make it but it doesn't mean I think they will.

13. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah in fact I predict in this group Spain, Croatia, and Czechs go through with Turkey fourth place.

14. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This is group of death. I predict Spain as group winner but I like to cheer for Croatia.

15. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Same here. I hope Croatia wins it.

16. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Stupid coach Cacic did not bring Halilovic who had a good first season for Sporting Gion. Kid could have been a great option off the bench with his dribbling skills and creativity. Vrsaljko should be in front of Srna at right back who is not the same player anymore. Lots of good midfielders but no wide players with pace except for Perisic. Defense is slow but experienced. Strikers are pretty good in Mandzukic and Kalinic. There are some very good players here but with all the corruption scandals going on back home i think it has already affected this team in negative way alot. Not expecting a deep run to be honest.

17. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Srna will retire after this EURO 16.
    Corluka will have issues with injuries.

Dejan Lovren was not invited, because he has expected first team player status. Probably he deserves his own CB position with Schildenfeld, Vida or Corluka. But this coach wants to have locker room serenity without "stronger" personalities with maybe 2,3 leader roles.

Vrsaljko will probably change his club Sassuolo. Sassuolo had impressive results among top teams.

Vrsaljko and Jedvaj are the future of Croatian defence.

The main issue is still LB position, you could see that Strinic had some problems, also with problems in his attacking roles. Croatia seeks the new Robert Jarni (LB). This standard is high, so every player feels bad. Similar thing is with those players who replace Maldini, R. Carlos, Cafu, Javier Zanetti, etc.

Too bad that Jedvaj left AS Roma.

Igor Tudor had issues with injuries, but his approach was always versatile defensive roles> / CB, CDM, LDM, RDM, CM...

Croatian midfield is great if you observe the names, but Milan Badelj, Marcelo Brozovic should give much more than against Turkey.

Croats could underestimate Czech Republic, because Czechs had calm and rational nature.

18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Its early, but out of all the groups this one makes a big difference if you win it or finish second. For e.g. If you finish second you're probably looking at Italy in the second round and Germany in the QFs. But win this group and you're looking at a third place team in the R16 and someone like Switzerland or Slovakia in the QF.

Something to keep in mind when Croatia meets Spain.

19. Purger

Purger New Member

Dec 21, 2006
    In this case Croatia better finishes second in group stage. They have never ever lost to Italy and have a positive score with Germany (last time lost a competitive match back in 1996 in their first EURO appearance).