Group C Predictions

Discussion in 'GROUP C: France, Peru, Denmark, Australia' started by almango, Dec 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Who will qualify?

1. France

101 vote(s)
    85.6%
  2. Peru

59 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Denmark

48 vote(s)
    40.7%
  4. Australia

14 vote(s)
    11.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    let's not forget that Australia struggled against Syria and needed two pks against Honduras

however more importantly. play off ganes with home and away legs are a different dynamic to group stage games so its hard to judge

people are overlooking that Peru collected the second most points behind Brazil in the second round of south American qualifiers (games 10 to 18). However that suits the Peruvians just fine since they play much better as underdogs than favorites (as games vs Venezuela, Bolivia and NZ have proven)

Paul Calixte repped this.
  2. pogoss

pogoss Member

Wydad Casablanca
    Morocco
    Jan 15, 2017
    Japan
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Morocco
    It's an easy group and for once I don't expect a surprise because France has already experienced deceptions from easy groups, especially in 2010.

Deschamps is doing a good job and I support his decision to rule Benzema out of the squad. Making the best team and calling the best players aren't the same thing. The question will be the form of Killian Mbappe in the end of the season, things has gone too fast for him.

3. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    fingers and toes...those poor kiwi players

4. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    Peru didn't struggle to get past NZ...

I have no idea where people get that notion

Denmark drew at home in the first leg
    Peru and Australia drew away in the first leg

All 3 took care of business in the return leg

Home and away are different to group games...for one the away goal rule is not in play

5. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    Australia's lack of coach is huge. I don't think I ever remember a team in this situation.

They're already the weakest team in the group, this doesn't help. It's a battle between Peru and Denmark.

6. maestri09

maestri09 Member+

Jun 14, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Alianza Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    You better cross every finger and toe then, and hope you cramp up while you're at it.

7. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    That first game will be critical between Denmark and Peru. For me this looks like the best and deepest Denmark in many years. It's not just Eriksen. It's also Schmeichel who became a star during Leicester's title run. Christensen is breaking into starting lineup at Chelsea. Delaney has been in great form for the last 12 months. Sisto looks like a rising star at Celta. Poulsen and Braithwaite are also solid. Dolberg had a breakout star season in 2016 and is rumored for a big money transfer. And even Bendtner has found his best form in a long time at Rosenborg. Denmark is particularly strong down the center ... center backs, center midfielders and strikers.

But Peru is very close in talent as well. Where I see the difference is that Denmark has more depth. But in a one off game I would not be surprised to see Peru matching up well. Europeans don't respect this team enough. They think it's just Farfan and Guerrero. But in reality they have other big stars who play at high level in Brazil and Mexico. Cueva for example is just as likely to change a game as Eriksen. He was voted best 11 in Brazilian league and scored 4 goals in qualification. Raul Ruidiaz is the #1 goal scorer in Mexico over the last 12-18 months. Gallese, Trauco and Advincula are also in form in these leagues. There is more talent there than Europeans realize.

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    This may turn out to be the most entertaining group from a neutral's perspective.
    I like the way each team plays. Even Australia showed some fight last World Cup in a more difficult group.

maestri09 repped this.
  9. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    That Group B from 2014 was ridiculous. The two finalists from 2010, Chile, and a decent Australia side. Has to have been one of the hardest groups ever.

10. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    soccernutter repped this.
  11. Flipmode2000

Flipmode2000 Member

Feb 28, 2012
    USA -Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  12. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Well... Denmark has the upper hand most definitely.

13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't want to say they are done but they are behind the eight ball as they say.
    They will miss their Warrior up front. Gareca is really going to have to test things out in March/ Summer friendlies.

14. Flipmode2000

Flipmode2000 Member

Feb 28, 2012
    USA -Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Not enough time and they have nobody else that comes even close to his level... At least we had James when Falcao got injured and was out the World Cup .

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Still, they will be emotionally up for it represnting their Countyr on this stage for the first time in more than 3 decades. I think they will still be able to scrap and fight and they have a manager that will have them tactically prepared.
    But as I said they are behind the eight ball so any little mistake will probably knock them out.

16. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Peru doesn't have a replacement for Guerrero. All their other forwards are small like Reyna, Farfan and Ruidiaz. The closest thing to a target forward is Ivan Bulos who plays at Boavista and scores very few goals.

Either Gareca finds an entirely new system or Bulos steps up to a higher level. One x factor surprise could be Claudio Pizarro coming back into the picture ... ;)

The good news is that this suspension happened early. Gives Gareca plenty of time to create a new system. Personally I think they should go with the combination of Farfan and Ruidiaz up top. Both of these players know how to finish, and they're both in good form at club level. Yes, this makes the team less of a threat in the air, but it's the best they can do right now.

soccernutter, msioux75 and Dominican Lou repped this.
  17. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    Exactly. It's the only silver lining here. Unlike an injury, which often leaves World Cup teams with only weeks to prepare, this will give Gareca 7 months to plan.

It's gonna have to be between Farfan and Ruidiaz. Maybe if the youngster Da Silva really steps it up in the next months. Bulos has a torn ACL and won't be back until March. Pizarro has scored zero goals for Koln and looks embarrassingly slow now. I don't give him much of a chance.

Still, this is absolutely devastating for Peru. With Guerrero I thought they had about a 65% chance of advancing. Now I give them 40.

:cry::cry::cry:

soccernutter repped this.
  18. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    You guys are ignoring that Gareca has shown to be a really really good coach.
    Peru strongest element was teamwork/tactics, not their typical fantastic four approach (depending on their stars like past qualifiers ).
    Now before you all come at me, I'm not saying that missing Guerrero is not going to have a big negative impact to the team, because it will and I'm not sure if they will qualify or not (heck even with Guerrero I can't assure that).

But don't look this as a team that their main strength is their star and now they will miss that star, this is more like as a team that their main strength is their teamwork and will loose their main star, two different things, the first one you are basically done, the second is a problem still the coach can adjust

I see this as an excellent test to see how good is Gareca, because don't be mistaken Gareca is an excellent coach

msioux75 repped this.
  19. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    Jefferson Farfan is Paolo's equal....Gareca will have to set up the team to fit his style..Probably means more counter attacking style

The key will be how the midfield steps up....they are used to playing with Paolo as an outlet for them and will have to begin trying to put balls to Farfan in a different way

Luckily Farfan seems to have found a second youth in Russia...otherwise yes we would be well and truly stuffed

20. Lewis-Hunter

Lewis-Hunter New Member

Chelsea
    Germany
    Aug 16, 2017
    I think the France has the biggest chance on the first in this group. The Austalia and Denmark and Peru would play more stalemate but it is more wonderful for audiences

21. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    You're right that Peru's strength comes from their teamwork instead of relying on individual stars. However, Guerrero's presence was a huge part of that teamwork. Like condor said, he provided an outlet for midfielders whenever the opposing team pressured.

Gareca will have to readjust tremendously because both Farfan and Ruidiaz have VERY different skill sets.

Also, now they're speculating that there's a decent chance that Guerrero could get his sentence reduced to 6 months, which would make him eligible in early May.

22. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Wishful thinking ... I can't see the FIFA Disciplinary Committee backing down on a suspension they have made in a case like this... FIFA knew very well that he would miss the WC when they made this call ... his only chance would probably be a complaint to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), but in a case like this I don't think they would be of much help either ...

23. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The CAS have made bigger calls before (e.g. reverse a six-point sanction on Cameroon)...but yeah, it's fair to say that Peru's chances in this group hinge significantly on whether Guerrero can get back in on appeal.

24. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    I could be wrong but the appeal goes to a different set of people at FIFA does it not?

not the same people that made the initial suspension

at least thats what I understood from Messis appeal on his 4 game suspension appeal

25. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    can't also forget that even if he is successful in his appeal we would be looking at min 6 months without playing so its not like Peru get a Guerrero that's 100%

Paul Calixte repped this.