Group B - 2018 FIFA WCQ – AFC Second Round

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by Suren01, Jun 7, 2015.

1. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not mind to see him in the stadium as long as I see Peter Hore in the stadium.

Two memorable sentences from Ahmadreza Abedzadeh and Khodadad Azizi;

Ahmadreza Abedzadeh: God bless Peter Hore always.

Khodadad Azizi: After we conceded the second goal, one of the persons who really helped us equalize the game was the guy who pulled down the goal net. He meant Peter Hore obviously.

Basically he did a huge favor for us.

2. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Member

Mar 27, 2013
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Careful what you wish for "socceroo."

But it has indeed been far too long since the last time I tasted aussie tears. It would be rather refreshing since I've been getting bored of Korean tears. They're taste sour now. lol.

Mani repped this.
  3. rooboy91

rooboy91 Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    A great thing about being a Socceroos fan is never having Ben Williams refereeing us.

4. Zandi360

Zandi360 Member+

Dec 10, 2013
    Club:
    Sepahan
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

5. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you still enjoying American tears from 1998?

6. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    He was at it again last night. In a great open game of football with no spite in it he managed to find 7 yellow cards. They should take the whistle out of his hand and replace it with a flag.

7. Perspolis#1

Perspolis#1 Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think at that time and even now, Beating the USA put Iran on the map for the first time since the 1970's. The USA does mention how "lowly" Iran's team was and how that loss was so embarassing just to reduce the effect that Iran's win had.

I learned this later because at the time, I was a small 5 year old who didn't know whether to root for Iran or USA as they are both home to me.

But the heck that I know, I would love to play Australia again. Given the quality of Pot 3-5 in this group, they are at least guaranteed a 2nd place GD good enough to advance easily.

8. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Member

Mar 27, 2013
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    They're too busy enjoying their "handegg," and not sophisticated enough to shed tears for football. I'd enjoy their tears after they elect Hillary though. :sneaky:

9. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Not gonna happen mate! our next president will be Carly Fiorina.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::sneaky:

10. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For my family it's all about NHL, MLB and NFL!

11. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Member

Mar 27, 2013
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Eww, she's ugly.

#Trumpforthewin

12. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Member

Mar 27, 2013
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Naturally, but in reverse order though.

13. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what it was like for me. My dad (and now stepdad) like to watch hockey, my mom likes to watch American football, my aunt and uncle (who I've stayed with very often during my childhood) watch baseball, the people at my school like basketball. That's how I got into them.

As for soccer, I got into it on my own, and now I can say it along with hockey are my favourites.

14. sokorny

sokorny Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Westerm Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Spiranovic looked out of sorts against Jordan. Really couldn't handle the pace of the Jordani forward (their only outlet). Not sure why Wright didn't switch with Spiranovic (considering Jordan had a lone striker Wright could have man marked and Spiranovic swept).

The Socceroos dominated the game, but really couldn't find that telling ball in the final third. A bit of creativity lacking and not enough width (the crossing was abysmal).

Congrats to Jordan though they stuck to their game plan and it worked. Wasn't necessarily pretty to watch but effective ... personally I'd expect more from a home team (in their style of play), but guess you got to play to win at this stage of qualification.

Kurdii110 repped this.
  15. sokorny

sokorny Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Westerm Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Well this Thursday Australia have a home game against Kyrgyzstan in Canberra (shouldn't be too cold there this time of year). Hoping the locals get out for this game (no international games in Canberra when I lived there, and the Cosmos games were very quiet to attend ... an old couple use to take pity on us students and give us some warm drinks and blankets for night games).

I will be interested to see how the visitors play away from home ... they managed a 0-0 draw with Jordan in Amman, but I don't see Australia getting caught on the counter attack again (can't see Kyrgyzstan playing as positive as they did when we played them in Bishtek). I think the Aussies would be looking for a 2-0 win at least.

Then the following week they go to Dhaka (maybe) to play Bangladesh. The Bengals haven't put up much fight this tournament, so think the Aussies should be able to pad their goal difference in that game.

The game on Thursday is crucial to get them back on track though.

16. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Results pretty much as predicted yesterday. Maybe that's why there is no discussion

17. sokorny

sokorny Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Westerm Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I don't think there are many posters from the other nations on this forum either ... so just a bunch of Aussies talking to themselves :)

After last nights performance I don't see us dropping anymore points in this group, Jordan sat deep for their home game against us and if they do the same in Australia they'll be thumped.

Kyrgyzstan were lucky to only concede three last night, should have at least been 5 or more.

18. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    How did Millsy miss? ;)

sokorny repped this.
  19. sokorny

sokorny Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Westerm Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    He might have had a bet on who would score the first goal (and it wasn't him)?

el-capitano repped this.
  20. sokorny

sokorny Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Westerm Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Well tonight Australia are doing a flying raid of Bangladesh. Will they come away with all three points? Going on the Bengal's performances thus far it should be a matter of how much ... let's hope.

The other interesting match tonight is Kyrgyzstan vs Jordan in Bishtek. Kyrgyzstan were a much better team at home when they played Australia, but some key outs may have weakened them too much. They did however manage a 0 - 0 draw in Jordan, so could be a crucial match for both teams (and I am sure the Aussies will be keen observers of the final result ... as a draw/lose by Jordan would see us go back to the top of the table, if we beat Bangladesh).

Think the game in Bishtek will definitely be the match of the day today in this group.

Also of note that results against the bottom placed side (Bangladesh most likely) do not count towards determining the runner up positions that qualify for the next group (but could perhaps decide top spot).

21. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Congratulation to Australia! We want you in our group in next round. I was getting worried you may not make it there. Now that Kyrgyzstan got the ideal result, the chance of meeting again after 1997 will be high. Hopefully, see you next year in Melbourne!

22. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Well done to the Krygs for helping us out. :)

23. sokorny

sokorny Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Westerm Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Would be a great fixture if that draw happens. I always thought Jordan would struggle against as at home anyway, but Kyrgyzstan really has made the equation a lot better now ... two home games for us to finish up this stage and don't see us dropping any points.

24. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    GROUP B
    [​IMG]
    29 March: Australia v Jordan, Tajikistan v Kyrgyzstan

[​IMG]

The Sydney Football Stadium will be the venue for one of the most-enticing clashes of the round as leaders Australia host Jordan with a two-point lead to maintain.

Both teams enter the clash on the back of comprehensive victories in their previous outings, and the Jordanians will also take heart in the fact that they beat the Socceroos 2-0 in their previous meeting.

The other Group B match sees Tajikistan visiting third-placed Kyrgyzstan aware that a positive result could go a long way in sealing their spot as one of the four best fourth-placed teams.

http://www.the-afc.com/asian-cup-20...sia-2018uae-2019-qualifiers-md10-a-look-ahead

el-capitano repped this.
  25. sokorny

sokorny Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Westerm Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The game in Amman the Jordanian side sat very deep and caught the Aussies out on two quick counter attacks. I'd say the Aussies should be wise to this now, and I don't see Jordan being able to sit so deep with the Aussies at home. If Jordan sit deep it will over in the first half I feel. Australia has really stepped up with their home games of late, especially in the first half.