Group A Preview

Discussion in 'Group A - France, Romania, Albania, Switzerland' started by nirvaanfc, Jun 4, 2016.

?

Who wins this group?

Poll closed Jun 10, 2016.
  1. France

100.0%
  2. Switzerland

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Romania

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Albania

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    https://footballfutbolcalciosoccer.blogspot.ca/2016/06/euro-2016-preview-group-france.html

Probably the easiest group to predict - France, Switzerland and the winner of Romania-Albania to advance.

Euro 2016 Preview (Group A - France / Switzerland / Romania / Albania)

Team: FRANCE
    Squad: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016_squads#France
    http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/season=2016/teams/team=43/squad/index.html
    Captain: Hugo Lloris
    Key Players: Paul Pogba; Antoine Griezmann; Blaise Matuidi
    Potential Breakout Player: Kingsley Coman
    Notable Absentees: Karim Benzema (non-selection); Raphaël Varane (injury)
    Best Historical Finish: Winners (1984, 2000)
    Minimum Expectation: Semifinals
    How Far Could They Go: Winner

The French will boast a talent laden squad and home field advantage, with expectations to match. Having previously won tournaments on French soil (Euro 1984 and World Cup 1998), Les Bleus will be missing two key players in Benzema and Varane but boast a squad depth that only the Germans and Spaniards can come close to matching.

The midfield will be the strength of the squad with Pogba and Matuidi sure starters with some combination of Cabaye, Diarra, Kante, Payet and Sissoko joining them. Whether the midfield will write themselves into French folklore like Platini/Fernandez/Tigana/Giresse in 1984 or Zidane/Djorkaeff/Petit/Deschamps in 1998 is to be seen but the quality is certainly there. In Griezmann they have a forward in fine form and with Martial and Coman the French boast true speedsters on the wings. Koscielny will be required to carry a heavier burden without regular central defensive partner Varane, but can rely on Lloris a world class goalkeeper to sure up the back.

A minimum requirement will be a semifinal appearance, but France will enter the tournament a favourite (probably the favourite), the talent is there and so will be the support. Pogba has a chance to add his name to the list of all-time great French midfielders to have dominated a Euro tournament (Platini in 1984 and Zidane in 2000).

Team: SWITZERLAND
    Squad: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016_squads#Switzerland
    http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/season=2016/teams/team=128/squad/index.html
    Captain: Stephan Lichtsteiner
    Key Players: Xherdan Shaqiri; Granit Xhaka; Stephan Lichtsteiner
    Potential Breakout Player: Breel Embolo
    Notable Absentees: Gökhan İnler (non-selection); Philippe Senderos (non-selection)
    Best Historical Finish: Group Stage
    Minimum Expectation: Second Round
    How Far Could They Go: Semifinals

The Swiss lack any meaningful track record of success, historically qualifying for major tournaments would be deemed a success in and of itself. Frequently, the term golden generation is thrown out (at least one other team at the finals will hold this tag) but in this case it may be true. Xhaka, Seferovic and Rodriguez are veterans of the Swiss team that won the Under-17 World Cup in 2009.

The Swiss have been building consistently with qualification for every major international tournament since 2004 (with the exception of Euro 2012). They pushed a very good Argentina team all the way at the last World Cup. Now they boast a team with a solid goalkeeper (Sommer), arguably the best full back tandem in the tournament (Lichtsteiner and Rodriguez), a quality midfield (Xhaka, Shaqiri, Dzemaili), a potential superstar forward (Embolo) and good squad depth.

This group is still largely a young one showing the future of Swiss football as bright, that is not to say this tournament is not there for their taking. The Swiss will be among a group of teams who, whilst not favourites, in this tournament format have a real chance of making noise. A good draw and the semifinals could be a realistic target.

Team: ROMANIA
    Squad: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016_squads#Romania
    http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/season=2016/teams/team=113/squad/index.html
    Captain: Vlad Chiricheș
    Key Players: Vlad Chiricheș; Ciprian Tătărușanu; Gabriel Torje
    Potential Breakout Player: Nicolae Stanciu
    Notable Absentee: Alexandru Maxim (non-selection)
    Best Historical Finish: Quarterfinals (2000)
    Minimum Expectation: Qualifying (Already achieved)
    How Far Could They Go: Second Round

Romania have had some exceptional talents in the last two decades - Hagi, Petrescu, Mutu, Chivu - but this generation has minimal to no experience on the biggest stage with Romania last qualifying for a major tournament at Euro 2008.

This Romanian team is built on a strong defence, evidenced by the reliance on the likes of Tatarusanu, Chiriches and Rat as their key players. Romania conceded just two goals in ten qualifying games as they finished second in their group, unbeaten no less. Sounds impressive for sure, but dig a little deeper and the team that finished top of their group was Northern Ireland. The Romanians only managed eleven goals in qualifying, in a group that included Hungary, Finland and the Faroe Islands.

Romania will struggle to advance from this group with the French and Swiss significantly better teams. Keeping it tight defensively will be key, but there just doesn't appear to be enough attacking threat to advance. Maybe a best third placed finish will see them through, but even that is far from certain with the final group game being massive.

Team: ALBANIA
    Squad: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016_squads#Albania
    http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/season=2016/teams/team=2/squad/index.html
    Captain: Lorik Cana
    Key Players: Elseid Hysaj; Taulant Xhaka; Lorik Cana
    Potential Breakout Player: Elseid Hysaj
    Notable Absentee: Hamdi Salihi (non-selection)
    Best Historical Finish: N/A
    Minimum Expectation: Qualifying (Already achieved)
    How Far Could They Go: Second Round

An Italian coach leading an unfancied team to their greatest achievement in 2016, sounds familiar? The significance of Albania even qualifying should not be downplayed, finishing second behind Portugal to gain automatic qualification and thus condemning Denmark and Serbia. Similar to Romania they boasted a mean defensive record conceding just five in ten games, but also faced similar challenges in finding an attacking threat.

While many will expect Albania to struggle, their opening game will be akin to a derby game given that more than a handful of their players played youth football for Switzerland (i.e. Veseli captained the Swiss Under-17 world champions; Taulant Xhaka who will battle with his more famous brother Granit Xhaka). A number of the Swiss team on display also could very well have been on on the Albanian roster (i.e. Xhaka, Shaqiri and Mehmedi amongst others).

With this derby feel in mind, perhaps Albania can spring a surprise? Irrespectively, similarly to the Romanians, Albania know that the last game of the group stage will represent essentially a one game winner take all matchup for a place in the second round.

2. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Vive la France!

zizouForlife repped this.
  3. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I agree with you this is probably the easiest group to predict. Unless something huge happens, I really think France has got this group in the bag and is set to pick up all 9 points. However I have a feeling France might drop a couple points in one of their games though, and I have a feeling it will be either Romania or Albania.

France have a better team on paper by miles than the other teams in this group. Pogba, Griezmann, and Evra will likely be the leaders, but you also have young players making their debut in the first international tournament like: Digne, Kante, Payet, Coman, and Martial. Nobody in this group is even close to matching France ON PAPER.

Switzerland will come in second. They seem to have great tactical approach, and while their whole team is not world class, there are three key players that have had great seasons and have enough in them to trouble anyone: Lichtsteiner, Shaqiri, and Xhaka. Sommer is also a great goalkeeper on his day. So they will come in second.

I don't think a third place team will advance from this group, but its hard to find a difference between Romania and Albania. They both play very defensively, and have about the same quality players on paper. Romania is more experienced, but Albania has a very smart coach with a good tactical approach. I see these teams drawing the game they play head to head, either 0-0 or 1-1. The only thing I see separating these two teams, will be which team somehow managed to snatch a point against France, because I bet that one of these teams will draw France and snatch a point. It could be either of these teams, but I will say for now I am gonna go with Albania. Just the fact that they beat France at home and drew France in Paris in friendlies is very impressive for a team like them, and I think they have just enough to snatch a point from them on an off day.

Final Standings:

1. France 7pts
    2. Switzerland 6pts

3. Albania 2pts
    4. Romania 1pt

4. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Extremely nervous about the opening Switzerland match against Albania.

Twelve of their players have a connection to Switzerland and in some cases were deemed not good enough for the Swiss national team (hence the switch to Albania). Those players will be burning to prove everybody at the Swiss FA wrong.

5. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Switzerland is the better team no doubt, but Albania is a very resilient well drilled team considering they don't have big names. I can see that game being 0-0 deep into the second half, before the Swiss squeeze out a winner.

6. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Is there going to be a new thread for the actual games?

7. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Go create one

8. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I created one in France forums but wasnt sure if someone else was planning on doing something over here.

9. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    its been quite around these blocks... you would think the game starting in 3 hours there would be more activities ...

10. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Do you think we should comment here or in the one you created in the France forum? I'm ok with either one.

11. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    why not both? I like here better, because many fans will be seeing this not just french fans!

12. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    There's no match day thread here. I don't really care to make one myself, so hopefully someone else can volunteer. ;)

13. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    By now it's only us 30+'ers who prefer the traditional bulletin board format. :D

Everybody else is on social media. And the vast majority of Bigsoccer posters have always been more Americas oriented.

14. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    booo social media. The world cup had more people around here as well , not sure why euro doesnt have the same attention.

15. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I could, but I was shamelessly plugging my fledgling blog :) with this post.