Groin Injury - experiences?

Discussion in 'Player' started by Elbullio, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Jonny98

Jonny98 Member

Jul 26, 2014
    Southampton
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    For me, its never worth the risk. In the past i'd have tried to risk it and end up having to wait even longer to get fit... But its tricky to tell as everyone's body is different of course

2. TingXuan

TingXuan Member

Jan 15, 2015
    Malaysia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Malaysia
    I hurt my groin 2 months ago,yesterday I went to play Futsal and had no movement problem just had some ache on my groin...glad that its full recovered now

3. Matthew17

Matthew17 New Member

Jul 8, 2015
    Hi my names Matthew I currently play semi pro football for Waltham abbey and I need help. I've been reading trough all the comments and it's scaring me because I have the same problem with my groin but I don't know exactly where the pain is in the area it happen throughout a 90 minute game on the 6th of June. After that game I've been feeling constantly pain in the upper left groin and it's making me limp sometimes I thought I would just keep stretching and it would go but it's still hurting I've been icing it but there's no change because everytime I think it's getting better I feel it and it's stressing me out. I've started pre season and there's games coming up I need some advice I have a physio but when I explain to him about the injury he Always keeps telling me to stretch and I'm doing that .

4. Keegan Wood

Keegan Wood New Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Sometimes you'll get injuries that won't seem to go away no matter what you try. If you have access to a lacrosse ball, it is amazing for personal deep tissue massage since it's high density rubber and fairly small, so it's easy to pinpoint and massage the exact spot where your muscles are tight/sore. I would always recommend having one; they're very cheap so pick one up if you have a little extra money.
    Another thing you could do specifically for your groin is to get a foam roller and, well, I can't find a good picture to describe what I mean, so you'll have to pardon my poor ms paint skills...
    [​IMG]
    Kneel down with the roller between your hamstrings and your upper calves and lean back as far as you can. Keep the tops of your feet flat on the ground, palms on the ground and lean back as far as you can. This will give you a really good stretch in that area. Hopefully that will help!

5. Joe Waco

Joe Waco Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I never played soccer at a high level but had a groin injury senior year in high school. It lingered forever. I don't know how long it actually took to heal, but it was months. It lasted through the last half of my senior season. The only "fix" was going to college. I wasn't active my freshman year and when I started to play pickup soccer my sophomore year my groin didn't hurt anymore!

I know it doesn't help your situation, but just a heads up that it could be an injury that you'll notice for awhile.

NewDadaCoach repped this.
  6. Jay Leap

Jay Leap New Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Oct 10, 2019
    In case anyone comes here still looking for advice, I would suggest following the recommendations in this published academic paper. Probably better to use elastic bands vs weights, and don't neglect your core! https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5867683/

7. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    Damn 2-3 months sounds like such a long time to heal. ugh

8. tothetop

tothetop New Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Germany
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Good info provided. Getting injured is always a lesson. Copenhagens are a great exercise with progressions for adductor (groin) strength and injury prevention. Slide board work, lateral lunge exercises. One thing Ive found with adductor issues as well is the VMO (tear drop shaped muscle on the inner thigh) is usually very tight. Since the body is a fascial system, loosening up that area provides relief higher up the chain.

9. dejansavicevic10

Jun 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Generally, if you have had an injury like a groin pull or hamstring pull, hip pointer and you are not getting better after a couple of months, you should most definitely see a medical professional. Yes, there are lots of pre/rehabilitation movements you can do, but there is no substitute for a proper diagnosis.