Gringo's Wall of Shame: Get used to it Gringos VOL. XI

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by sidspaceman, Jun 27, 2014.

1. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Anti American campaign in full effect lol

Adrian559, Overachiever and sidspaceman repped this.
  2. JRB92

JRB92 Member+

Sep 23, 2009
    You know, after missing the World Cup I thought they'd be a lot more humble. Silly me.

3. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Being fair, I completely agree with the second point, you know, 'cause they play in CONCACAF and compared with the Dutch, they're a bunch of scrubs.

4. NCCFBALL

NCCFBALL Member+

Apr 19, 2007
    ITALY
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    LOL... USA is more likely to win a world cup than Netherlands? Lol. I would say women's Netherlands are more likely to win a wc compared to US than men's US to Netherlands. Lol

ShockMaster, Adrian559, LGRod and 10 others repped this.
  5. JRB92

JRB92 Member+

Sep 23, 2009
    Mostly added it to add context to the last quote, but even then the US right now looks like a team that will struggle to qualify to the next WC(though I think they will) than the Dutch even with being in a harder qualifying zone.

6. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    CONCACAF helped them with the FIFA rankings bullshit, though.

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  7. El Pipiripau

El Pipiripau Member+

Jul 10, 2006
    Escondido!!!
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I disagree, only a few teams get matched up with difficult opponents, Europe has more than its share of scrubs.

Once the wc is expanded than sure the US will be the safer bet, but I would not be confident that the us qualifies easily. I’ve seen nothing to make me think it will not be a grind.

Puro_Sinaloa and beat junky repped this.
  8. El Pipiripau

El Pipiripau Member+

Jul 10, 2006
    Escondido!!!
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    That was the most absurd comment. Netherlands is the best to have never won it, they’re beasts and imo among the best in development. Delusional doesn’t come close to describing these dudes.

9. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I assume the thinking is that Holland has maxed out on their potential and has come up short whereas the US has a higher ceiling that just needs to be reached. It all ties back to the arrogant fundamental American mentality that the US is the best in everything it tries to do.

Lukato, LaMascara, Adrian559 and 2 others repped this.
  10. siva66

siva66 Member+

Apr 7, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    If only Lebron played soccer...

Lukato, LGRod, Saldgotti1991 and 3 others repped this.
  11. El Pipiripau

El Pipiripau Member+

Jul 10, 2006
    Escondido!!!
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    US dominates sports they invented mostly. In footy, they’re decades behind and I don’t think I’ll see a US men’s team ever be considered a power.

Growth isn’t linear, it’s impossible to max out potential. Imo, you need a solid soccer culture, a strong organized infrastructure, and then hope/wait for a strong generation of players to come through to make a deep run.

The US has none of the 3 going for itself. What it does have is money, money to run a not so great league, and influence in the media to always sugar coat the bad and pump sunshine propaganda.

12. NCCFBALL

NCCFBALL Member+

Apr 19, 2007
    ITALY
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I tell people who ask me about US soccer and where I see it going that US doesn't have the coaching or structure at the youth level to get to where the other top countries are. In baseball, football, basketball, etc they have good coaching from the time they start at age 5. In soccer every rec league has subpar coaching. Another thing is that even in travel soccer, the coaches are playing the bigger/faster/stronger kids that don't develop footy skills so as they get older they don't have the techniques to compete with top players.

sidspaceman and SixKick repped this.
  13. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    ive always felt there was an unconscious level of typical American prejudice (or perhaps racism) when they bring up the "if only LeBron/Kobe/Jordan" or "if only kids in urban areas played soccer".

i mean why doesnt anyone ever say "if only Phil Mickelson had decided to be the best left-footed US player of all-time". or "if only the uber-competitive Larry Bird had chosen to be a GK instead of an NBA great". :D

14. El Pipiripau

El Pipiripau Member+

Jul 10, 2006
    Escondido!!!
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    As a U8 coach I can attest to the shitty coaching, as a shitty bombero coach myself.

Our league was short 8 coaches, meaning parents had to step up. The kids are drastically varied in terms of skill which makes it very challenging to conduct practices that benefit everyone. I’m watching YouTube videos and trying but I know I’m letting them down on some level. They deserve a real coach. The kids should also be split up and allowed to play with more evenly matched kids. Let the kids who’ve never played and immature play non competitive where they can develop basic skills with no pressure. Let the early bloomers play competitively with each other.

My kids have gotten a beat down in two games. 8-0 and 8-2. My own kid is sounding like he may not want to play anymore....which sucks because he does have some talent there, but the losing and having dad as his coach are not helping.

So you can argue I’m actively hurting us soccer, :D:cry:

Serg33, jrinsd19, TrDm1n3r and 7 others repped this.
  15. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    What type of drills are you running during practice?

El Pipiripau and sidspaceman repped this.
  16. Kaney

Kaney Sleeping Dragon
    Staff Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Lake County, IL AKA Southern Wisconsin
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    There is usually one or two groups in UEFA WC qualifying every cycle that has three strong teams and only two of them would be able to qualify or advance to a playoff... That is really the danger of not qualifying out of UEFA, which group you get...

sidspaceman and El Pipiripau repped this.
  17. El Pipiripau

El Pipiripau Member+

Jul 10, 2006
    Escondido!!!
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Drills are tough, I have no assistants so sometimes they’re train wrecks. It’s getting better...

Different passing drills, give and goes, shooting drills, sometimes simple tag or dribbling games. Mostly scrimmaging with lots of coaching to simply not chase the ball. They want to chase the ball then lack the aggression to challenge for the ball once they’re their. It’s hard af.

I have a mixture of 5,6, and 7 yr olds. The 5 year olds have almost zero attention spans.

Serg33, sidspaceman, DGreat and 4 others repped this.
  18. chiva_guero

chiva_guero BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 4, 2007
    Mexico NSR
    be me with girls u5

and my kid is 3 for 3 crying on the sidelines

Serg33, sowrong, Alopez and 2 others repped this.
  19. chiva_guero

Jun 4, 2007
    Mexico NSR
    there definitely is implicit bias in the notion that "black people are better athletes" and it gets casually applied all the time

just like in mexico people talk about recruiting youth outside of the DF and GDL - which is happening I gather - the US could see a bump in performance if soccer was viewed as an appealing sport for the overall population

i'm thinking D2 point guards and even golfers like you mention. Phil is right handed, I believe. He plays as a leftie after watching and mimicking his dad swing. He's also not the best example of an "athlete who chose another sport" lmao.

the idea the US would dominate reflects the arrogance of the US sports fan, but it is hard to see them not improving when pay to play is less pervasive and technical capabilities of coaches improves

in just a few weeks of AYSO, it's super obvious that the technical capacity continues to be a huge weakness in the sport domestically

20. El Pipiripau

El Pipiripau Member+

Jul 10, 2006
    Escondido!!!
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Just sayin...
    991F0CC7-2E0E-4BC1-9E17-FC6A1B7295DB.jpeg

21. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    ^^^ toooooootally off-topic, but that's even more incredible. fck, golf mechanics are difficult enough doing it with your dominant hand.

OK, how about Bill Laimbeer as a destroying mid. just shows you how ridiculous those "what if Martin Scorcese has chosen soccer instead of film" arguments are. :D

22. chiva_guero

Jun 4, 2007
    Mexico NSR
    The specific instances always ring hollow

Even Earl Woods saying Tiger would be a point guard at UCLA if he wasn’t a golfer is suspect

That’s not exactly how it works

fateswarning189, sidspaceman and *rey* repped this.
  23. fateswarning189

Jan 27, 2016
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    What position would Iñarritu play? :ROFLMAO:

It's called FOOTBALL and LGRod repped this.
  24. Mr. P Mosh

Mr. P Mosh Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Monterrey, NL, Mex
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Imagine if Del Rio chose soccer instead of lucha libre?

[​IMG]

25. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Barca?