'Gringo' in Chivas' midst - Padilla born in the USA

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Stogey23, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Jacksav

Jacksav New Member

Feb 3, 2008
    The San Jose article really seems to imply that he lived in the USA up to the time he joined Chivas. I don't know how much weight to give to his sisters playing for the Mexico National Team programs. Its obvious that being called up to the Mexico squad is much easier than being called into the USA squad on the women's end of things. I also wonder if the comments about joining up with MLS (in addition to Europe, etc) was a response to being interviewed by a California paper. This will certainly be interesting in the future. Can you imagine a US-Mexico qualifier in the Azteca with Padilla lining up in Red, White and Blue. And you think they hate Landon...

2. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA

True that, bro.

But you know it's going to come up with someone, sometime. Whether with this poor kid or someone else... and it's going to make the whole rivalry all the better.

¿Can you think of another national team rivalry that is getting spicier faster?

3. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    And indeed, a lot of the Mexican squad is composed of players of mostly US raising that one suspects would be playing for the US if they were good enough.

The men are obviously a different issue.

Yeah, I strongly suspect spinning is being done at both ends, and the truth is somewhere in the middle, like maybe "I'd like to play for Mexico, but they're not calling me in. I'd be happy to play for the US, but I can't for the sake of my career."

Oh yeah, and that's why I suspect serious pressure is being applied, if not to Padilla than to someone else in a similar situation.

4. new_skin

new_skin Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Boston
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the Birmingham City-Arsenal match today, I'd say the England-Croatia rivalry is heating up rather quickly. Of course, one could argue that Taylor has no chance of ever breaking into the England squad, so maybe not.

5. green94

green94 Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a further attempt to drag this thread off-topic, but good god what an awful tackle! There are clips on YouTube that are slowed down at the moment of impact and you can just see Eduardo's leg snapping. It's almost hard to look at...

6. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    After watching an interview with Padilla where he speaks English, my guess is he spent most of his life in Mexico cuz dude could barely speak it. I actually played against him here in the Bay Area when he came during the off-season and know one of the boyfriends of hes sisters. Ill ask him some questions next time I see him.

7. PasionPorElTri

PasionPorElTri New Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Guadalajara, Mexico
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  8. El Cabrito

El Cabrito Member

Dec 22, 2002
    Ca
  9. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    So you're telling me there would not be repercussions to his career if he chose the US? He wouldn't get kicked off the team?

10. El Cabrito

El Cabrito Member

Dec 22, 2002
    Ca
    1) If he truly, truly wanted to play for the US like some are claiming he wouldn't give a damn about Chivas. The mere fact that he would let his contract with Chivas get in the way of a career with the US is evidence enough that the US isn't that important to him.

2) There probably would be repercussions if he chose the US, after all you are talking about a team that prides itself in being Mexican. Maybe they can justify someone who was born in the US (to Mexican parents) and lived there for a while but was raised Mexican and lived in Mexico for a good part of his life. Remember he was given a chance at Chivas because of his status as a Mexican. I don't see how that can be justified if he was to chose the US, and identify himself as American.

3) I fail to see how this is any diferent to those who claim Rossi is not a Yank because he chose Italy, or how Adu would have lost endorsements if he were to chose Ghana. Frankly I find it a wee bit hypocritical.

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

The guy wants to play for Mexico which is fine. Why are we arguing about Padilla anyway? Both Mexico and the US have better young options at forward.

You can have him and I'll even throw in Tim Ward as part of the deal.

12. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it would be evidence that he has a good head on his shoulders. Playing for the USA won't pay any bills. Playing for Chivas is a chance-in-a-lifetime. He's got to make a living first.

13. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    I'm still waiting to see any kind of proof to back up this famous BigSoccer rumor.

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    That's not a bigsoccer rumor, virtually the whole US soccer community subscribes to this theory.

Here's an Andrea Canales column from 2005 insinuating the same thing.
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=350666&root=us&&cc=5901
    When we see that over and over again we start to believe it is true.

Never mind that Giuseppe himself spoke of his preference for Italy all the way back when he moved to Man United. I don't remember if he spoke about it while in the youth set up in Parma . People always are looking for some nefarious reason why Giussepe didn't want to play for us, and the easy answer has always been that his father pushed it on him. I guess people don't want to realize that Giuseppe simply wanted to play for Italy. People need to get over that one.

Just like people need to get over Jesus Padilla. THE KID PLAYS FOR CHIVAS. The second you sign a contract for Chivas you're telling the world that you identify yourself as a Mexican. That club is a symbol of Mexican soccer and Mexican pride. There was a 0.00002% chance he was going to represent the US on any level after he signed for Chivas. I don't care where he was born and what countries he's eligible for. When you sign for Chivas you're telling the world you...are...a...Mexican...soccer...player...period.

If he had signed for Pachuca or Toluca or Morelia or Club America or Santos...............it would be a different story altogether.

15. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    Maybe, maybe not.

Perhaps Chivas was the club that came calling when he was a young teenage and it was by far the biggest club that did. It pays well, is well supported, produces good talent, etc. The fact that its "Mexicanness" is integral to most of its fans doesn't mean that it's integral to its players. Similar to a Protestant playing for Celtic -- Celtic fans support Celtic because the fans are Irish Catholic, but that doesn't mean the players are. Padilla may have been saying "I am a soccer player period."

Until he gets sold by Chivas to an open team and still rejects US call-ups in favor of Mexico, we have no idea where his allegiance lies. In the meantime, he's going to make sure he doesn't ruin his professional life. Of course, the question is can Mexico cap tie him? I don't know the answer to that.

16. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    You're right. I guess I'm just the nosy neighbor on why he's telling contradicting stories on where he was born, where he grew up, where his mother was born. And Thomas Rongen has such a fertal imagination about what he told him. He should be fired for making up that story. In the end he will play for whomever he wants to. Just because Chivas has been paying his salary starting at age 14 in no way influences how he's going to answer some basic questions of where he was born and raised. That's downright confusing sometimes.

17. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    That would be fine and good, but it doesn't contradict what I wrote:

That's really what I'm getting at here. And the only reason I'm going after it is that it reveals the contradictions in Chivas's policy. I fully believe that 90% of all Mexican Americans would choose the Mexican National Team, because that's the culture that brings them to the game in the first place. It's not the Tricolores (who have been brave enough to play some naturalized players) I'm after, it's Chivas.

Because even if the US was a fall back option, he should not be fired or benched or whatever just for playing for them. It's wrong.

And it would have been wrong for those players too.

18. MaGuilar776

MaGuilar776 New Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Jesus we love you!! and you deserve that spot on teh chivas more than anyone i know!! and all them haters well they just made you FAMOUS!! hahahhahahaha!! so what a slap in the face for them huh? CHIVAS AT hEART ALWAYS AND FOREVER! We dont need you on the US team, PURO MEXICO!!

STAN COLLINS: You dont knw how hard Jesus has worked, how he brings a smile to his fans family and friends, and no matter where he was born he still plays soccer, PROFESSIONALLY! im not gonna sit here and argue the wrongs, but no matter what the aligations are he is stayong on the team!

"reveals the contradictions in Chivas's policy": They stated that if you are born in mexico or your parents were born in mexico you are eligible to play!!

19. MaGuilar776

MaGuilar776 New Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Luis Dobes: a journalist tryna find a career off of a young player for one of the best teams in mexico! a low life who just made Jesus Padilla the talk of history! Jesus Padilla now has his named palstered all over the news, and may I remind you, CHIVAS IS KEEPING HIM! so to Luis Dobes, hasta la madre! You just got a slap in the Face!

20. MaGuilar776

MaGuilar776 New Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Luis Dobes: a journalist tryna find a career off of a young player for one of the best teams in mexico! a low life who just made Jesus Padilla the talk of history! Jesus Padilla now has his named palstered all over the news, and may I remind you, CHIVAS IS KEEPING HIM! so to Luis Dobes, hasta la madre! You just got a slap in the Face!

21. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    This is what happens when you make fun of Lou Dobbs. Nonaligned, independent trolls try to utterly discombobulate the minds of everyone in the thread until the offender takes it back or they're cut off by Wolf Blitzer at the top of the hour.

22. Hyuuga Neji

Hyuuga Neji Member

Nov 20, 2007
    The Bay Area
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps the greatest first two, err, three posts ever.:cool:

23. El Cabrito

El Cabrito Member

Dec 22, 2002
    Ca
    Would you agree that advretisers have the right to yank endorsment deals for bad conduct (EX Kobe Bryant losing out on endorsments due to his episode in colorado).

The point is every company has a right to protect its image. Chivas Guadalajara is no exception.

If Jesus Padilla comes to them know full well what their policy is, and takes their training, their exposure, their medical care and then does something that he knows very well will tarnish their image. Then he deserves to be fired, benched, sold to some team in Malaysia.

24. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    ¿Is this an admission that the whole Chivas/Mexican only thing is purely about image and selling shirts?

25. Miloko

Miloko Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Houston--Sureste
    Of course it's about selling shirts...though CD Guadalajara (Chivas) is the most popular team in Mexico, can you guess who the most popular team in Guadalajara is? I'll give you a hint: It's not Chivas!

Atlas is the team most supported inside GD, Chivas is supported by ppl from abroad...la legion 1908 (their biggest barra) is actually from Mexico DF.

I'm willing to bet that most ppl on BS that support Chivas are from some other part of Mexico, not GD.