Grenada's 14 year old youth Sensation Anticipating Senoir debut

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by mikeyjames, Feb 20, 2012.

1. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Grenada Senior National Men’s team preparing for International friendly versus Guyana On Feb 22 2012

Grenadian fourteen year old youth sensation Shevon John Brown, is anticipating his first call up for Grenada senior men’s national in an upcoming international friendly team against Guyana.

Shevon John Brown To The far Right

[​IMG]

Brown, who was one of four youth players chosen for the DIGICEL Kick Start Clinic in Trinidad last year, is hoping to impress the coaches in the final sessions with a view of making his senior debut.

A native of River Sallee, St. Patrick’s, the Mc Donald College form four student has already caught the eyes of many including former England International and Liverpool player , John Barnes.

Born 13th April 1998, this young player is no stranger to the local football circles, in his maiden game representing Grenada at the tender age of thirteen; Brown scored two goals for Grenada versus St. Vincent in the Caribbean Football Union, preliminary round in Guyana.

Player in his debut season for Hard Rock in the Grenada Football Association Premier League, the nippy right footer scored eight (8) goals for his club. He was also selected to represent Grenada in the Secondary Schools Tournament in Dominica last year where he scored against St. Lucia.

Brown when asked of international players he admires did not hesitate to identify Alexis Sanchez of Barcelona. He hope to follow in many of Grenada’s previous stars and has identified Grenadian International Jason Roberts currently playing for Reading FC and Clive Murray who recently secured a two year contract with Roi ET of Thailand as persons whose footsteps he would like to follow.

John has given much praise to his current club Coach Clarke John of Hard Rock FC in Grenada as well as Tyron “Pele” John a former national player and his cousin, as well as former Minister of Sports, Adrian Mitchell for his current success.

“I look forward to the day when, I will be wearing my national colors representing my country, but I am also eager to be the first home grown player to play in the English Premier League” the shy fourteen year old stated.

Who knows, someday not too long from now, we may very well hear of the Grenadian Shevon John Brown, playing on the international arena.

2. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Was reading this yesterday and this stuck out to me :eek: I'm pretty sure he's older than 13 (or 14) though...its hard to imagine a 12 year old playing (and doing well) at U17 level

3. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
    from what I've heard he is actually 14. you have to be under the age of 16 to even be eligible for DIGICEL Kick Start Clinic ... most people in grenada think he has the chance to be even better than shalrie joseph.... the fact that they were no youth levels in grenada might have actually helped him play at a higher level because he's been playing against grown men .... in grenada if you get picked to represent your parish and your only 12 years old. guess what ? your playing against grown men.. its only recently they added youth development levels. you can contact GFA's President cheney Joseph on facebook and ask him his age if you find it hard to believe. or contact John Barnes, Carlton Fairweather or Kevin Ball, they have all his info. he didn't only catch john Barnes eye, but U.S shouts were also looking at him at the kick start clinic. The GFA is trying to get more focus on him by giving him his Senior debut against Guyana. their trying to show the scouts that he can already compete with grown men. their trying to get him a U.S scholarship. some people might say he's way to young to be playing at that level, but this kid has been playing with grown men his whole football career. he played for hard rock fc which is the Senior team in that area. River Sallee Secondary school is the youth team, which is basically the middle school team. he might have been 12 or 13 at the Caribbean Football Union u-17 tournament, but he was already playing with grown up's at that age, so he was much stronger on the ball than some of the kids that were older than him. in Grenada once they notice talent they throw you in the fire with grown up's at an early age. the thinking is it makes you stronger in the long run. why think kirani james did this last year at age 18 lol.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPn1XalgORA"]Kirani James win the world 400-meter title in Daegu - YouTube[/ame]

this is a picture of Hard Rock Fc (shevon's Team) (notice the young kids at the front )

[​IMG]

I've been impressed with the Grenadian football association. their no longer sitting back and waiting for things to happen. their more focus then ever now on youth development & women's football. They also receive phrases from the Caribbean Football Union for their new Super League.

The endorsement from the regional parent body has given the new Executive Committee a much
    needed stimulus to proceed with its inaugural semi professional tournament called “Grenada Super
    League”.
    In a letter to GFA’s President, Cheney Joseph, the CFU’s Acting General Secretary Damien Hughes
    stated “Pursuant to the decision of the Grenada Football Association (GFA) to pursue a semi-
    professional league as part of its football development strategy for Grenada in the form of the
    Grenada Super League (GSL), the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) is pleased to add its voice of
    congratulations to you and the GFA for the undertaking”.

Hughes in his letter on behalf of the CFU Normalization Committee and the other twenty nine (29)
    members of the regional body said “While we note that you will experience the normal teething
    pains that characterize all fledgling and experimental initiatives, the CFU must commend the GFA
    for its willingness to confront these inevitability head on.
    The CFU Acting General Secretary highlighted “Expanding and strengthening the football product in
    Grenada and by extension the Caribbean region is a strategic development imperative of CFU
    Member Associations if we are desirous of seeing the CFU flag flying at future FIFA World Cup
    Finals tournaments. This stride towards the professionalization of football is indeed a
    commendable step and one in the right direction”.
    The Caribbean Football Union in its correspondence to the Grenada Football Association reminded
    the association to ensure that even as the Grenada Super League grows that it remains faithful to
    its primary beneficiaries i.e. young and talented Grenadian footballers who otherwise would not
    have an opportunity to showcase their skills.

Mr. Hughes ended his letter by stating “Your decision to begin with local talent must
    also be commended since the primary focus of football development at any level
    must be national teams. The CFU therefore urges you to on behalf of the other
    twenty (29) Member Associations, the CFU Normalization Committee and our staff,
    and on my own behalf, I extend congratulations and offer our unreserved endorse-
    ment and support for the Grenada Football Association’s Grenada Super League”.
    The Grenada Football Association “Grenada Super League” is carded to begin on
    March 10th, 2012. Six teams will be participating in the initial year of the
    tournament, however Technical Director and Grenada Super League Commissioner,
    Patrick Francis has stated the tournament will be expanded to eight teams in 2013
    with the inclusion of Carriacou/Petite Martinique and an Under Twenty (U20) development team.

4. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The physical difference between a 12 and 16/17 year old is staggering, with speed, strength, etc. which I why I doubt it. They also can't get his age/birth date right as if he was born April 13 1998 he would be 13, not 14. Soccerway and CONCACAF both have him born on that date in 1995 as well, which would make him 16 right now. So I really don't know. Regardless, he is quite young and hopefully can reach his potential.

5. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
    the worm I've heard from a couple sources that shalrie is planing on representing grenada again now that modeste is the coach. did you hear anything about this ?

i also had a talk with cheney Joseph about stoke city's camron jerome and jay simpson of hull city so i expect the GFA to Contact them for the Caribbean cup this summer.

6. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I don't know, he has turned his back on Grenada so many times I can't imagine he would. He didn't play when Modeste was in charge back in 2008 so I don't know why that would change.

I'm sure Jerome has been contacted before about playing for Grenada, though I can't confirm. I actually was told Simpson was Jamaican and wasn't aware he was eligible. While these players would be helpful, it just beefs up Grenada's best area already and the defence and midfield are still very much lacking. As we saw in the Gold Cup, having all of these strikers doesn't help if the midfield can't get them the ball.

I watched the second half of the match last night and Shavon came on and looked OK, though he commentators did say he was 16. They also said Reading (Jason Roberts' club) were looking at him as well.

7. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
    ok. on another note Lester Smith GFA Technical Director spoke about whats going on with the GFA. he spoke obout youth/ women's football, The GFA Super League, he also spoke on some other interesting stuff. here's the interview [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7054-5M5OU&feature=related"]Lester Smith GFA Technical Director talking about Football - YouTube[/ame]

8. BBC_

BBC_ Member

Jan 5, 2005
    London
    Lol. I was the Year above Jay at Primary school and his Sister was the year above. Talented family, his sister was good at basketball.