Grenada to enhance team for Gold Cup 2011

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by mikeyjames, Mar 3, 2011.

1. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
    The grenada football association is under new management.

Grenada Football Association (GFA) is seeking to strengthen the senior men’s national team ahead of its second outing in the CONCACAF Gold Cup to be staged in the USA from June 5th to 25th.

The GFA has confirmed that the new management of the senior team will be looking toward the United Kingdom for more accomplished professionals with Grenadian roots. talks are currently on going with everton striker Jermaine beckford and Wycombe Wanderers’ defender Leon Johnson.

US-based Shalrie Joseph and Craig Rocastle are also expected to feature prominently in the Spice Boyz line-up. Joseph plays for the New England Revolution in Major League Soccer and Rocastle is a midfielder with Sporting Kansas City also in the MLS.

2. JYDA

JYDA Member

Sep 10, 2003
    I highly doubt they'll get Beckford.

3. El Washatero

El Washatero Member+

Nov 5, 2007
    AP Top 25!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do they really call themselves the spice boyz?

lol

1 person likes this.
  4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thread title makes me think they got a boob job.

5. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
  6. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
    in other news: the new Grenadian football association management is busy at work. expect to see a new GFA logo. also after the st kitts friendlies expect a couple friendlies with 2 or more of these teams

Canada
    China
    Jamaica
    Qatar
    Venezuela

General Secretary of the GFA, Victor Daniel has confirmed that members of the national team which finished fourth in the Digicel Caribbean Cup in Martinique will be rewarded.He didn’t disclose the extent of the incentives but it’s likely that all players and staff of the team which participated in the tournament will be rewarded.

GFA to launch "Road to Gold Cup"

A campaign to encourage support for Grenada’s participation in the CONCACAF Gold Cup Tournament will be launch in Grenada this month.The “Road to Gold Cup” campaign is aimed at rallying home support for the Spice Boys’ second appearance at the Continental Championship which kicks off in the United States on June 5. James, who heads the association’s marketing committee, said that replicas and other branding items will be available at the launch as well as a raffle where a lucky winner will have an all-expense paid trip to watch one of the national team’s game in the tournament.

7. JYDA

JYDA Member

Sep 10, 2003
    What other British players have Grenadian heritage?

8. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
    i only know 3 off the top of my head

Jay Simpson - Hull City
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzRpfw1fPNA"]YouTube - Arsenal vs Wigan in the CARLING CUP 11/11/08 (ALL THE GOAL[/ame]S

2 Players With Grenadian heritage In This Video. Cameron Jerome - Birmingham City & Jason Roberts BlackBurn Rovers

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr-XAvGW0nU"]YouTube - Cameron Jerome Get In There[/ame]

Bradley Wright-Phillips - Charlton Athletic

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V-xoceCyOg"]YouTube - Bradley Wright Phillips Motivational[/ame]

9. Ecuakid1

Ecuakid1 Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Club:
    Deportivo Cuenca
    Does anybody know if Jason roberts has made up his mind to play for grenada? he would be a big help

10. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe he already has, hasn't he? Or do you mean for this tournament?

I mean, I've SEEN him play for Grenada in WCQ before, at Crew stadium, with Sharlrie Joseph. And let me tell you, there were some scary moments (from a USA perspective) in that game. Grenada's fans were great, BTW.

11. saucysalesman

saucysalesman New Member

May 27, 2009
    State College,PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Beckford is eligible to play for either England, Jamaica, and Grenada. And since he is getting a bit older(27), and he knows he'll almost certainly never get capped by england, he's probably gonna choose to play for Grenada or Jamaica soon. Hopefully Grenada.

But yea, if grenada can enter this years gold cup with the likes of Sharlie Joseph, Craig Rocastle, Jason Roberts, and Jermaine Beckford, and possibly some other part-english players, then they could definitely cause some havoc this summer.

12. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    That was the first international game I ever went to. It was great too, Grenada put up a heck of a fight! Hope they do well in the Gold Cup this summer.

13. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Shalrie Joseph has issued warning to Jamaica to brace for a tough battle

GEORGIA, United States, March 18, 2011 - Grenada have issued a warning to Jamaica to brace for a tough battle when the Caribbean rivals clash in the opening round of the CONCACAF Gold Cup this summer.
    The Spice Boyz vow not to be intimidated by their powerful and much higher ranked regional opponents, insisting that the reigning Caribbean football champions will bring out the best in them during the June 6 matchup in California, United States.
    "We're not just going to bow down and let (Jamaica) walk over us," Grenadian Shalrie Joseph, a star midfielder with the New England Revolution, said when asked about the Gold Cup draw following a Major League Soccer (MLS) pre-season game here last week.
    "The last couple of matches have been great for both countries and we look forward to that again."
    Jamaica last faced Grenada in the semi-final of Digicel Caribbean Cup (DCC) late 2010. The Reggae Boyz won 2-1 following a goal in extra time. Grenada finished fourth in the tournament.
    Jamaica have since moved up to 48th in the ranking by FIFA, the world football governing body. Grenada are at 94th.
    However, according to Joseph, the huge gap in ranking will not play a key role in the Gold Cup as Grenada, while having huge respect for Jamaica, sees the Reggae Boyz as a target to measure its own progress.
    "We know how good Jamaica are and how they're ranked in the FIFA," he explained. "And if you can beat them, and if you can play against great teams like that, it gives you a test of where you are as a country; and that would be a good test for Grenada to play against Jamaica in the first (Gold Cup) game."
    For the tournament Jamaica will be able to draw from a deep player pool, including local and overseas professionals, particularly those based in Europe and North America.
    However, Grenada have growing depth as well. While injury ruled Joseph out of the DCC, he will be available for the Gold Cup.
    The Spice Boyz can also summon players like Craig Rocastle, of Sporting Kansas City in MLS, North America's premier competition; Kitson Bain, co-"Golden Boot" award winner with Jamaica's Dane Richards for most goals in DCC 2010; and Anthony Modeste, a veteran of Portmore United in Jamaica's Digicel Premier League.
    Grenada believe they can snatch victory in June.
    "Oh definitely," said Joseph. "I think with any football player, and especially with our country, we think we can beat anybody.
    "And once we get on the field it's 11 versus 11 and you gotta be ready to play against any team."
    However, Joseph said although it's vital to get off to a positive start in the Gold Cup, he does not believe Grenada will abandon caution to attack Jamaica all out.
    "I think in any tournament the first game is so important," he explained. "You get a point or you get three if you can. But most importantly you get a positive result.
    "In the first game I think teams might be a little bit more defensive-minded, especially Grenada. I think we'll definitely be a little more defensive-minded, especially going up against a powerhouse like Jamaica."
    But the Spice Boyz will not back down from Jamaica, or Honduras and Guatemala, the other teams drawn in Group B.
    "We look forward to the challenge," said Joseph. "It's gonna be a good game. It's the first game, everybody is gonna be ready to play.

SOURCE: Jamaica Star Sport