Great Britain team in 2020?

Discussion in '2020 Women's Olympics Soccer' started by sbahnhof, Oct 2, 2018.

1. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Bunged at the bottom of the latest FIFA edict:
    • "Tokyo 2020 – possible participation of the Great Britain women’s football team: FIFA has now received written confirmation from the four British associations, confirming their intention to allow a British women’s team to try to qualify for the Women’s Olympic Football Tournament Tokyo 2020, and that England will be the nominated country to seek a qualification slot"

For GB to make the Olympics, England need to finish in the top 3(?) European nations at the Women's World Cup 2019.

This follows the GB team's participation in the London 2012 Olympics, when they beat Brazil 1-0, but lost in the quarter-finals to Canada.

[​IMG]
    Team GB at Wembley, 2012 (photo: Gary Howden, cc-by)

The surprising part is that the English FA have the agreement of the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish associations, after they refused in 2016.

The Scottish and Northern Irish FAs weren't quoted today, but previously the SFA had said it "does not support the playing of Olympic football under the Team GB banner", and the IFA "would not be in favour of sending players to a GB Olympic team. This is to protect our independent status within Fifa."

Apparently, now they've changed their minds. The chief exec of the FAW (Wales) has said: "Politically we are not going to align ourselves with it, but we are not going to stop our players."

God, that's a good line :D

kolabear and blissett repped this.
  2. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    blissett repped this.
  3. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Lol: that tag-line cracked me up!!! :ROFLMAO:

4. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    \

just what we need; another thread for our half dozen regulars that check the message boards daily!

if they go by last WC, the top two automatically qualified(Germany & France), then they had a round robin, wild card tourney featuring Norway, Sweden, Ned & the Swiss. of which the Swedes won(England wasn't allowed to participate in the Olympics despite placing the highest of the Euro teams in that WC)

in my opinion, Neville ain't no Sampson(who at least understood how woso worked best; high pressure, high back line). Plus some of his selections; a clumsy. slow poke CB like Miller Bright/Fran Kirby who might be fine as a striker, but so far, sucks at AM

5. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    They do exactly as in the previous tournaments, the top 3 eligible UEFA side at the World Cup automatically qualify for the Olympics. UEFA don't bother with a special Olympics qualification tournament as the teams are playing the Euro 2021 qualifiers straight after the WC.

6. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    It's a soccer forum, silly

:laugh: Thank Christ for that

7. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    What do you mean, he does not sleep with his player? allegedly :ROFLMAO:

blissett repped this.
  8. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    they did the last time though
    https://us.women.soccerway.com/inte...-rio-de-janeiro/play-offs-group-stage/r34618/

and I thought was a good thing cuz Sweden, a team that didn't do good at the WC(eliminated by Germany, 4-0, in the round of 16) ended up winning the silver medal one year later

9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think what shlj meant was that UEFA doesn't bother with a separate Olympic qualifying tournament normally - i.e. their calendar is normally full already. They only did it last time because a tiebreak was needed. That is, it wasn't "Top two, then we have a OQT"; it was "Top three, but we don't actually know who #3 is so we need a one-off OQT". And I assume that shlj mentioning '21 EURO qualifiers means that UEFA now has a tiebreak procedure mapped out to prevent any future separate OQTs.

JanBalk and blissett repped this.
  10. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Several team UEFA team was eliminated at the same stage, this tend to happen when less than three of the competeing UEFA teams make the semis, then it is a playoff in some format between those teams.
    After WWC in China there was a playoff between Denmark and Sweden for UEFA's last Olympic spot.
    So UEFA do not have a separate Olympic qualifying tournament but they may need a tie-breaker match or tournament.

11. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Sometimes I watch it just to cheer up...

Women's EURO 2017 highlights: Netherlands 3-0 England
    - www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVEgT6Iulj8
    [​IMG]

Not included in the video: Sampson threatening a Uefa official with a metal pole in the dressing room, Sampson at 2-0 going crazy because they only added 2 mins injury time, Sampson and the FA dropping a top player for, ultimately, racist reasons (he has apologised for his comments, at least).

Nowadays maybe it isn't great, Neville could fail badly, but I'll take it over those times. Things were just so bleak...

Cliveworshipper and blissett repped this.
  12. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I remember watching that game live: a crystal clear victory if there ever was one and there was not much to complain about from Sampson in the first place, let alone menacing a referee with a metal pole...

I agree that we don't need such people in women's football, and it doesn't matter if England looked quite brilliant under Sampson's tenure: you just don't make such deals with the devil, in a sport that so far is significantly better than it's men's counterpart for what concerns behaviours on the pitch and out of it.

13. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    #14 sbahnhof, Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    I still wonder what happened when Marieanne Spacey (now Spacey-Cale), the England assistant coach, left the job 3 weeks before the Euro 2017 tournament. (She went into player development at the FA and is now at Southampton.)
    Such a weird time to move out, and it must've disrupted the whole squad. A resignation, or just normal FA incompetence? Maybe we'll never know.

(edit)
    Not a referee, it was a Uefa referee liaison officer

"Mr Sampson also allegedly started to chant, 'the referee liaison officer's a w*****'"
    * that part isn't true​

blissett repped this.
  14. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    I liked the theory that Marieanne Spacey was the brains behind the 2015 World Cup run, and that it all went to pot when she left in 2017. No idea if it's true, but Spacey-Cale's team has won 16 games in a row this season :thumbsup:

blissett repped this.
  15. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since the Coupe du Monde Feminine is about to take place, how about we start using Royaume Uni? Oh, maybe not, since that would include Australia and Canada, among others. Interesting that Canada beat Great Britain last time around.

16. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #17 Cliveworshipper, Apr 27, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    It gets complicated. ( I thought Canada’s last month win was against England.)

Canada and Australia aren’t part of the Royaume uní. Just the four nations. The queen is the head of state in those and others, and they are both commonwealth countries. The royal families of Canada and Australia are considered separate from the Royal family in the UK, even though they are always the same persons. Their parliaments have to approve each new monarch. Some think that her title in Scotland should be queen of the Scots and her regal name should be Élisabeth I., or I and II. It worked with James.

She is Not the head of the church in Canada, at least. It is a secular nation. Her title there since 1953 does include “Defender of the Faith” but Henry VIII earned that for the Royals from Pope Leo X while Catholic for writing an anti Protestant tome ( in Latin, no less) which argued for the supremacy of the Pope, so the Faith defended has never been completely clear. Canadians figured that since the issue was so foggy, it just acknowledged a Supreme Being.
    All the other countries except Granada dropped that part of the title. Most dropped mention of the U.K. in her titles.. For obvious reasons, Pakistan never used the Defender tag. Some lineages include descent from Mohammed, so maybe she is a calipha.

The Channel Islands aren’t even part of the UK, but are Crown dependencies along with Mann. On Jersey, at least, HRM Elizabeth is titled the Duke of Jersey. There is no Brexit issue in the Channel Islands. They already have arrangements with the EU even though they aren’t part of it. Maybe the Queen should just make the U.K. a dependency of Jersey and be done with it.

And the Isle of Wight, isn’t a Channel Island, even though it is a Channel island, being in the Channel. Maybe I’lles de Manche works better.

And the Republic of Ireland is in the British Isles. Don’t tell them, though. They insist on “these islands” like that makes it clearer.

kolabear, JanBalk and cpthomas repped this.
  17. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    #18 sbahnhof, Jun 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    I don't mind discussion here about the UK's names (it is confusing), but it's really come to something when U.S. fans argue about what their own country's name is :confused: That national malaise is starting to bite.

The 2019 Women's World Cup is about to start, so soon we'll know whether team GB is go, or no.

Group D - Argentina, England, Japan, Scotland - News and Results [R]
    - https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/gr...nd-japan-scotland-news-and-results-r.2104003/

In 2012 -

Great Britain 0-2 Canada - Women's Football Quarter-Finals | London 2012 Olympics
    - www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NkH6I3eBFo
    [​IMG]

GB fell short of expectations, while Canada won bronze.

The English FA have just made this hilarious video, ahead of the men's team's games in Portugal ... but no equivalent for women's fans/coaches?! We could do some damage if we wanted.

18. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Team GB was not the best players available at the time. Fishlock did not make it for example.