Grayson Dettoni at Bayern Munich

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by PalmettoSpur, Dec 28, 2016.

1. PalmettoSpur

PalmettoSpur Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I was watching the Christian Pulisic live Q&A on Facebook and stumbled across the following comment:
    Dettoni.PNG

I did some quick research, and it looks like he's currently at 1860 Munich, but possibly Bayern in the near future.
    http://goalnation.com/player-watch-dettoni-1860-munich/

He's a center back from Southern California. His dad moved his company to Bavaria, which is how Grayson ended up in 1860's youth ranks.

2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has an interview at age 10 with Justin Rose (who put together that odd Colorado Cup that featured Mainz and the Switchbacks this past summer). He also interviewed Grayson's older sister Ryleigh who plays volleyball.

Rose has an oddball background and seems to make money from this arrangement:
    http://coloradocup2016.com/about-us/

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    How many Americans do we have at Bayern? Tillman(2), Hawkins, Butler, Dettoni, Panayotou(?)

5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A profile:

http://goalnation.com/player-to-watch-fc-bayerns-grayson-dettoni/

Grayson is the youngest American and the first full-blooded American to be asked into the youth ranks at FC Bayern. Other Americans grew up in Germany and are half German and half American.

Grayson Dettoni left training at San Diego Surf SC and the sunny shores of Southern California — not speaking a word of German — and joined TSV 1860 Munich when his family moved across the Atlantic to Germany.

It took Dettoni a least a month before he really understood what the soccer coach was saying during training basic drills and about 4 to 6 months to become comfortable speaking and understanding the language.

6. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @bungadiri can we get "('05)" put in the thread title?

bungadiri repped this.
  7. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did I get it right?

8. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, thanks, I try to let these threads for 11 year-olds marinate between check-ins. Nice to know he's at Bayern, hopefully in 5 years he is still at a high level.

bungadiri repped this.
  9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

10. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's starting for their U14s, apparently. According to his IG story, he started against Dortmund. He wears the #2 for Bayern, so quite possibly a right back.

12. JPJF9

JPJF9 New Member

Cosmos
    United States
    Nov 9, 2019
  13. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020
    according to chris richards he's trying to get a european passport. not sure which country

PhillyFury repped this.
  14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interview:

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.c...surf-usmnt-youth-1860-lewandowski-sule-muller

BFW: Looking through your history, you started out as a winger. If so, what prompted the move to center-back and how do you feel like playing offense in your youth helped you now that you are playing defense?

Dettoni: In California, I was a winger and a striker for my Surf team, but as soon as I arrived in Germany at my new club TSV 1860 Munich, they put me in the back line as a right back and center back. At the time, I was also growing a lot and so I was one of the taller boys on my team. That’s the way I started playing defense and now today I would fully call myself a center back. Passing has always been one of my strengths and so moving from a winger/striker to a defender who has to make difficult passes out the back was perfect for me.

Gacm32 and UniversalAdvice repped this.
  15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From another BS thread:

PalmettoSpur and Winoman repped this.
  17. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Member

Sep 27, 2014
  18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interview:

BFW: Were you expecting a new deal and how did the process work for you? Was it easy to get done?

Dettoni: “Because my contract was ending In late June, I was looking at many options within Germany and greater Europe. I recently got my Italian citizenship which means I can play anywhere and it opens up the whole world to me. But after my strong second half of the season, Bayern followed my progress and were excited for me to stay and renew my contract for another two years. The process of renewing a contract takes a very long time and we waited for months. It requires a lot of patience! I just had to keep my head down and play strong and consistently. I knew if it was meant to be, it would happen. I felt good and confident about my performances and I just had to trust the process.”

19. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also confirmed that US Soccer has not reached out to him but that his first choice is to play for the United States.

WheezingUSASupport and Winoman repped this.
  20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scored for U19s:

UniversalAdvice repped this.
  21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Copying from @SUDano’s post over in the YNT U-23 thread.

I know your list doesn't have alot of 2005's nor is exhaustive but I think we need to start adding Grayson Dettoni a 2005 CB from VA playing for Bayern Munich U19s toward the top of CB lists. I watched the following game with BM U19 vs BM World Team with Tarick Scott from FC Dallas on it. It's in German so watched it for him but they were overmatched by their regular U19 team. I noticed huge CB who could run and had soft feet so when I learned he was American so I re-watched whole game and came away super impressed. He is 6-4.5 is very mobile, and has very good ball skills. For me he is better than Craig, Neal, and Ferk who dominated for our U20s. He powered a goal header in 7th Minute. We need to call him in now! Get on board people.

Winoman, LouisZ and BostonRed repped this.
  23. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can add Diego Kochen to that ever-expanding list. Kid looks legit.

TheFalseNine and Winoman repped this.