Grass-rots initiative in England - Referee treatment.

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Thezzaruz, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Link to full article -> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...s-levels-will-receive-five-year-bans-assault/

Not bad I guess but if they really want it to have an effect they should have the same regulations for the top leagues too. Will also be interesting where they set the bar for "verbal threats".

2. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Not likely. With Brexit and all, the top English leagues will have enough issues just keeping players in their league, much less trying to expel them contrary to FIFA disciplinary regulations.

3. OldRetiredCoach

Feb 22, 2003
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freudian slop in the title? ;)

SccrDon repped this.
  4. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    Giving a disciplinary hammer to the lower leagues is something, I guess. It will be interesting to see how often it is used.

IMO, English football really missed an opportunity with their Respect campaign. You can preach respect all you want, but if Rooney keeps telling the refs to F#ck Off on national TV every Saturday and nothing is done... The message to the lower levels is clear.

roby, voiceoflg, JeffG and 2 others repped this.
  5. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I recall only one time that a player, implying a veiled threat, said he knew where I lived. I replied that I and my Dobermans would be delighted to entertain him.

I think he took the hint! :)

dadman and fairplayforlife repped this.
  6. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Hey, easy on Rooney.

7. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    When the grass rots, the field stinks.

We had such a field years ago. It rained most of the fall, but we kept playing on the field because pointy-ball was going to get on it in November, so what were we saving it for?

The grass finally got completely ground down into the mud, and then it started rotting. It smelled like a sewer.