Graphic Designers: New USSF emblem challenge!

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by dada3345, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Circled in red:
    [​IMG]

Anyway, not a bad concept. I think if the blue continued to the bird on the top and the red bars continued to and stopped at the bird on the bottom it'd look even better. And yeah, I'd say a bald eagle look would be better for a US crest.

2. kba4life

kba4life Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Claremont, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone think it's possible to put pressure on USSF to implement a new logo? Emails? Voicemails? Pitchforks and torches?

3. Jah_Lion

Jah_Lion New Member

Aug 31, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you very much Neuwerld and Footy Fan for all your help. For some reason, I just don't see any of those symbols. No green boxes, no add attachment button, no anything. Just a message box and 14 icons from which to choose. Do you have to be a paying member? I'm not. I've tried in IE, forefox, chrome... nothing seems to work. I'll try working on shrinking the bald eagle to fit into the crest better. What about one of those floating banner looking things with maybe the establishment year on it or "indivisible?" Maybe some rivets around one of the exterior borders to more simulate a real shield? Something akin to the bundesliga trophy?

4. Jah_Lion

Jah_Lion New Member

Aug 31, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. nealesk

nealesk Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Santa Fe, NM
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

The guy who made this one rules! I changed the gold hue to a grey/black scheme. I think it would be strongest in blue and red, not sure why he went for gold.

But yeah it's not even close, guy who made this is my favorite by far

6. ChocolateCandy

ChocolateCandy Member+

Real Madrid
    Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mad rattlesnake on a ball > eagle. Who wants to mess with a pissed off rattlesnake? Too many teams (including mexicLOL) associate with the eagle.

Screw what's on the Mexican flag, or the Tea Party. U.S. Soccer and the Gadsen Flag have been around much longer than this one, specific political movement, and U.S. Soccer has absolutely nothing to do with the Tea Party. On top of that, much of the Tea Party hates soccer to the point of viewing it as part of the Communist invasion upon America. Of course, the irony is that people who hate this country probably don't support its national team, and start supporters groups based around patriotism. :rolleyes:

Anyway, we have a history with the snake. I believe it represents our team well.

7. fifty7

fifty7 Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Long Island
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. DynamoEAR

DynamoEAR Member+

May 30, 2011
    HoustAtlantaDMV
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    anybody else hink the crest would look better if they changed the ball to one of those old laced ones?

9. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    It would look more classic, and if we did a very classic-looking coat of arms type of crest, it might look very appropriate. For the average logo, however, I think in the USA it would be confused with a volleyball. There's no reason to give the impression that we are being deliberately inaccessible.

I think the bucky ball design is probably the best for USA Soccer, but I would like it done without the skyrocket lines. It looks daft like that. What, was it shot into the upper deck? What's to celebrate about that?

10. diagoro

diagoro Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This logo is centered on the ball, and the aspect of movement makes it work. Remove the 'motion' and the ball looks out of place.

I really like the stars in this version, never thought having large ones made sense with a soccer logo.

11. dban

dban Member

May 20, 2003
    PhillyBurbs - Delawareside
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So on a patch that is three inches across, those stars are 1/16 of an inch across, no embroidery machine has the resolution to make that look like a star.

Need to go with bigger stars.

12. fifty7

fifty7 Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Long Island
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I didn't consider that. Hm. In which case, I'd just support going with a revamp of the 1950 crest. No stars, letters saying either USA or USSF, and 11 stripes for the 11 players on the field.

13. diagoro

diagoro Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The jersey I bought last year had a plastic patch that had been printed, not embroidered.

14. equus

equus Member

Jan 6, 2007
    There already are eleven stripes: six red and five white.

15. don't_tread_011

Feb 5, 2009
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then that is most likely a player issue model. However, that doesn't discount the tons of replicas that will still exist with embroidered logos. You also have to think in terms of clarity when designing a logo. Will you able able to identity that those little tiny white blobs are stars when the logo is shrunken down to a smaller size for media purposes? Is it going to be identifiable on a website? These are all questions you must consider.

16. dban

dban Member

May 20, 2003
    PhillyBurbs - Delawareside
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Makes no difference what you bought, the crest needs to be able to be emboidered.

17. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    You sure they can't embroider those stars? See below. They won't have the same resolution as the example, obviously, but they will unmistakably be stars. That's all that matters.

[​IMG]

18. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Now THAT's starting to really look bad-ass to me. I get the foreign association with eagle over snake, but for our soccer federation/national team, I really like the association with the Gadsen flag.

19. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    I'm not saying it looks bad from a design perspective, I just think it's too obviously the invention of "non-soccer" types. It's a baseball thing for the ball be shown shooting up the air like that.

20. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Yes. For openers. The other aspect is that the shooting ball feels... dated. Not "classic," but "dated."

21. j.asgard

j.asgard Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
  22. sav19

sav19 Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Thanks for the feedback guys :)

Sadly our logos are worth nothing unless Sunil were to come across one of them AND like them AND approve a change for the federation. Don't mean to be a negative Nancy but.. That's pretty much the deal :/

23. Devil_78

Devil_78 Member

May 7, 2001
    Kashiwazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nice! But a style that has been done before. A quick Google check reveals a few US colleges which have similar ideas. As a logo, nice. But how would it work on a shirt?

I'll take on a pissed off snake. Thick boots and an axe.

24. Adiaga Two

Adiaga Two Member+

Oct 4, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where have I seen that before?

[​IMG]

25. Devil_78

Devil_78 Member

May 7, 2001
    Kashiwazaki, Japan
    Club: