Graphic Designers: New USSF emblem challenge!

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by dada3345, Mar 28, 2009.

1. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PM me your e-mail address, I just got a new tablet and I want to try it out.

2. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sent. Thanks man, don't worry if its too much trouble.

3. BrodieQPR

BrodieQPR Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    use the 1950 logo

4. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If by "kinda reminds" you mean "is a complete ripoff" then yes. Nonetheless, it IS badass.

5. Liam O'Malley

Liam O'Malley Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

I would buy one.

6. Jah_Lion

Jah_Lion New Member

Aug 31, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I think it's time for a new crest. Our current badge has 3 stars (why 3?) in a red field as opposed to a navy blue field as is on our flag. The stripes are blue and white instead of the more proper red and white. And that cartoon in the middle only says "US." Are we no longer "of America?" Respect the "A!" I also feel we could use a bald eagle as well as some gold and silver borders/highlights/accents so that we might have that differently colored third jersey. Something quirky like Barcelona does for their 3rd or just a minor classy tweak a la the gold stripes on the current Real Madrid home kit perhaps?

7. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm looking forward to making a contribution soon, as I just bought Illustrator recently. :)

8. Jah_Lion

Jah_Lion New Member

Aug 31, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My two-cents, the shield should stay, it's basic shape seems relevant enough if you go throughout history; although it is usually dominated by the size of the eagle. As far as jerseys go, I think it would look a bit more tidy if it was the other way around. I guess what I'm saying is, that the crest we currently wear shouldn't be thrown out entirely since it does have some good elements about it, namely the general shape of the shield. I feel as though we could keep the simple nature of our current emblem while at the same time "classing-it-up" with a more pertinent central and historical design. I'm feeling something like: the shield with an eagle (golden maybe?) in the middle if it with it's wings extending beyond the edges, one silver star in the middle of each wing. I just can't quite place things like stripes, or a soccer ball, or whatever else might possibly be clutched in the eagle's talons (if anything). Maybe its too comical, but I have something on the tip of my brain, I just don't have the skill to put it into a drawing and post it.

9. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI, the golden eagle is the national bird (symbol?) of Mexico. If an eagle is has to be a bald eagle.

10. Jah_Lion

Jah_Lion New Member

Aug 31, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously, I meant a bald eagle in gold, such as is on the top of many smaller/indoor flag poles.

11. Jah_Lion

Jah_Lion New Member

Aug 31, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinda sorta like this. It's missing a couple features like talons, bald eagle head. The eagle in my head is a bit different, but this will do until I find a better example.

[​IMG]

12. sav19

sav19 Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Did this a while back. originally it had a black snake and red stripes behind it but it looked a tad too chivas-ish

[​IMG]

13. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like it.

14. don't_tread_011

Feb 5, 2009
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quite nice. I might suggest a second outline to the crest and to make the snake bigger. I'm not sure how I feel about the stars jutting out to the outsides of the circle.

15. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On behalf of all OCD-Americans, please take off those two points that are sticking out of the circle.

I'm not sure how a second outline would look but I agree that the snake should be slightly enlarged.

16. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    I know I'm late to the party, but I just wanted to chime in and say that this is still the best thing presented. A clean, proper, professional job. If they adopted this, I would never complain.

I couldn't agree more. These are questions I've had as well. As for the stars, I'm not complaining about the existence of them in the design, but what do they mean, and why three? Somebody asked me once what they stood for, and I had no idea. I ended up joking that they stood for Baseball, Basketball and Football. If we use stars ("Because we can"), why not use something meaningful like the 13 stars in a circle like on the original flag? Or, not, if there was no way to make it look right. The point is that the crest should look classy, not cartoony, and the graphical elements should be meaningful in some way.

17. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still the best...

18. Jah_Lion

Jah_Lion New Member

Aug 31, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, I have an picture saved on my desktop, but I don't know how to show it here, if someone could help me out? I made it my avatar, so you all could see something, but obviously it's way too small. It's a rough draft of an idea in my head, but it's still missing a few things, I'm just too tired to finish right now.

19. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, the snake wrapped around the ball is one of the most brilliant things Nike has done for US soccer.

20. ChocolateCandy

ChocolateCandy Member+

Real Madrid
    Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what she said?

Seriously, I really like that crest. The snake around the ball is sick.

21. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Looks like the emblem on the tail of some middle-eastern kingdom's national airline.

22. dban

dban Member

May 20, 2003
    PhillyBurbs - Delawareside
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The eagle needs to be done better (not sure how but more like the back of the $1), but overall I really like this.

23. Footy Fan

Footy Fan Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Two different trains of thought that I've read throughout the years for the stars in the crest:
    1) they stand for the 3 different fractions of the USSF: Men, Women, & Youth

2) They stand for the 3 different branches of the organization Youth, Adult, & Pro before the "4th star" the athlete.

Personally I say get rid of the stars in the crest as it makes us look like wannabes and trying to fool people. Personally I don't think we are trying to fool anyone with the stars it just could be perceived that way by other countries.

On topic tho I really like that logo, it think it would look really good on a jersey.

24. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Upload the picture to an image hosting site*, get the URL, and paste it into the box that comes up when you click this button [​IMG] when posting.

*Examples: ImageShack, TinyPic, Photobucket, Flickr

25. Jah_Lion

Jah_Lion New Member

Aug 31, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States