Graphic Designers: New USSF emblem challenge!

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by dada3345, Mar 28, 2009.

1. dada3345

dada3345 Member

May 2, 2008
    in series of tubes!
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I grown tired of looking at the current logo for the USSF. I think it's kind of an eye sore. So I thought It would be a good idea if any graphic designers would be interested at taking a stab at designing a new one. PM me if you think is a good idea. I figured we'd decide it by poll. SO if you think you have a good idea design mock it up and upload it on a image hosting website. link image here. Any one interested?

2. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Not only our logo. What about our snake on the ball thing IMO we can do a lot better, I hope all the cool talented designer join the crusade ...:)

3. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    i love the "don't tread on me" snake, and hope we never get rid of it. solid historical reference to the birth of the nation, and an appropriately aggressive icon.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    There are too many cultural and religion negative connotations related to a SNAKE be aware that this icon will be show all over the planet. We need a logo that transpire power and magnanimity

5. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no problem with the current crest, but I always love a good mock-up

6. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    are you suggesting we pander to religious zealots and assorted global fruit-loops when selecting our icon?

all respect to other cultures, but the only culture that should have any impact on our selection should be our own.

7. quinn

quinn Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    The only other symbol I can imagine us using would be an eagle

I think that using the Military insignia as a base someone could make a mock-up of a pretty sweet crest.

here is an example of the eagle.
    http://ameddregiment.amedd.army.mil/flag.htm

we could put some latin or something in there.

8. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Pardon my ignorance...Bur is there any snake among our Military,political,or American Icons...? Because I have not seen one...

9. quinn

quinn Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    FWIW, I think that whip is right about this. Just guessing, but I dont think it would be popular in Africa or in any of the island nations to the south. By not popular, I mean we get accused of witchcraft or voodoo.

10. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    the snake and "don't tread on me" have their origins in the colonies and the early united states.

[​IMG]

for more snakes on early american flags:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gadsden_flag

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Navy_Jack

"The use of the eastern diamondback rattlesnake as a symbol of the American colonies can be traced back to the publications of Benjamin Franklin. In 1751, he made the first reference to the rattlesnake in a satirical commentary published in his Pennsylvania Gazette. It had been the policy of Britain to send convicted criminals to America, and Franklin suggested that they thank the British by sending rattlesnakes to England.

In 1754, during the French and Indian War, Franklin published his famous woodcut of a snake cut into eight sections. It represented the colonies, with New England joined together as the head and South Carolina as the tail, following their order along the coast. Under the snake was the message "Join, or Die." This was the first political cartoon published in an American newspaper.

As the American Revolution grew closer, the snake began to see more use as a symbol of the colonies. In 1774, Paul Revere added it to the title of his paper, The Massachusetts Spy, as a snake joined to fight a British dragon.[1] In December 1775, Benjamin Franklin published an essay in the Pennsylvania Journal under the pseudonym American Guesser in which he suggested that the rattlesnake was a good symbol for the American spirit:

I recollected that her eye excelled in brightness, that of any other animal, and that she has no eye-lids—She may therefore be esteemed an emblem of vigilance.—She never begins an attack, nor, when once engaged, ever surrenders: She is therefore an emblem of magnanimity and true courage.—As if anxious to prevent all pretensions of quarreling with her, the weapons with which nature has furnished her, she conceals in the roof of her mouth, so that, to those who are unacquainted with her, she appears to be a most defenseless animal; and even when those weapons are shewn and extended for her defense, they appear weak and contemptible; but their wounds however small, are decisive and fatal:—Conscious of this, she never wounds till she has generously given notice, even to her enemy, and cautioned him against the danger of treading on her.—Was I wrong, Sir, in thinking this a strong picture of the temper and conduct of America?"

Considered one of the first flags of the United States, the flag was later replaced by the current Stars and Stripes (or Old Glory) flag. Since the Revolution, the flag has seen times of reintroduction as a symbol of American patriotism.
    [​IMG]

"For instance, unofficial usage of the Gadsden flag by the U.S. Government has been seen, particularly in the wake of September 11, 2001, most notably by Customs and harbor patrol boats in U.S. ports and individuals serving abroad in the U.S. Military. The First Navy Jack, which was directly related to the Gadsden flag, has also been in use by the U.S. Navy, and since the terrorist attacks is flown on all active naval ships. The rattlesnake from the flag is shown on the U.S. Army Drill Sergeant Identification Badge. In the media, Nike also used the image of a snake coiled around a soccer ball for an ongoing, patriotic "Don't Tread On Me" campaign in support of the United States men's national soccer team.

Many Boy Scout troops in America part of the BSA as well as their council building display the flag and incorporate it into badges and flag displays.

For historical reasons, the flag is still popularly flown in Charleston, South Carolina, being the city where Christopher Gadsden first presented the flag, and where it was commonly used during the revolution, along with the blue and white crescent flag of pre-Civil War South Carolina. It also appears in a historical context in the 2000 film The Patriot in Charleston and in battle alongside the Old Glory flag. Metallica later used the flag on their self-dubbed "Black Album" as a song name ("Don't Tread on Me"), and on the cover of the album, the snake from the flag is in the lower right hand corner. 311's eighth studio album is titled "don't tread on me" released 2005. The flag has also been used as a critical prop in several movies and TV shows, such as in the final episode of Jericho, where it was flown to signal the titular town's independence. The flag also hangs on the wall of Sam Seaborn's office in the popular television series "The West Wing".

there is a cubic ton of available information on the relevance of the rattlesnake, and the phrase "don't tread on me" to the cultural identification of americans.

there are also very positive portrayals of the snake in everything from the seal representing the medical profession, to various club crests globally.

11. alffy

alffy Member

Sep 9, 2001
    Seattle-ish
    So?

I'm with trip on this one, although I would have phrased it a wee bit differently...

Our crest should be relevant to our nation, our sport and our team. I like the snake logo, too, and if some people in other nations want to get all wound up about it, so what?

There are a lot of people in this world that are gonna get all wound up at the 'US' part of our logo (or our flag, or just our team being there), being as we aren't all that loved in some places, should we do something about that?

Screw 'em... and beat them, preferably by 2-0!!!!

12. alffy

alffy Member

Sep 9, 2001
    Seattle-ish
    Wow, trip!

Damn fine work, sir.

Repped.

13. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For this reason, I always have trouble being bothered to change my avatar. :)

14. quinn

quinn Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah, and I do like the dont tread on me logo as well. I am also well aware of the significance of it from the revolution. I think that using the eagle on the crest might be easier. The downside is that other countries use eagles (germany, poland to name two).

15. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    The backside of the Great Seal of the United States might make for an interesting inspiration:

[​IMG]

16. quinn

quinn Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    yeah thats basically the same eagle i linked to. I wonder what other US national teams use. Im going to spend some time with GIS and post them.

17. bad565

bad565 Member

Feb 16, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like our crest.

18. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    yeah, except yours has a snake in it. :)

19. quinn

quinn Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Really? HA. busted.

So i guess only soccer has cool crests. everything else seems to be USA (sport) with a stylized ball or person. LAME.

20. oshman800

oshman800 Member

Sep 17, 2007
    me too

21. dada3345

dada3345 Member

May 2, 2008
    in series of tubes!
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as far as liking the current crest, fine, there are some people who aren't big fans and I thought it would be fun to see what other people would want it to look like. If you like the current crest that's fine by me. I just wondered if others thoughts for crest designs would be similar or completely different from my own.

as a far as the snake, I think it's a good unofficial symbol, not sure about it on the crest.

22. DirtyStriker

DirtyStriker Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Basehor, KS
    The center of this image that I made as supporter logo, was based on the eagle in the middle of the U.S. Army logo.

[​IMG]

23. WraithXx

WraithXx Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i can't see how anyone would like the current cartoony and dated soccer ball looking crest

just screams "n00b" to me

go for an eagle. seriously.

24. BuddhaNYC

BuddhaNYC Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Queens, NYC
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really don't find anything wrong with the current US emblem, and i LOVE the NIKE "Don't Tread On Me" snake logo. Find it very american, deep in tradition, and an animal that is feared in almost every country out in the wild!

25. Jozy!

Jozy! New Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with the current crest. It is recognizable and to me, perfect. People always complain about the inconsistency of the designs of our USMNT jerseys, so why on earth would we suddenly change our emblem if its the one thing we have kept in tradition? I'm just waiting for a Jersey that has nikesoccer snake watermarked into the design.