Grade 6 State Futsal Referee

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Soccer is the best, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Soccer is the best

May 5, 2017
    Does anyone know anything about this grade? Currently Michigan does not offer this grade

2. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's same as with outdoor. State Futsal Referee. There are rumors that there might be National Futsal offered next year. I am a Grade 6 Futsal referee and in our state you need to pass one assessment on a competitive U16 or higher game and a fitness test. Here is a link to all the requirements in my state.

3. RefGil

RefGil Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Yikes. So you don't need to even have seen an adult futsal match to get a grade 6 badge? I don't even know how to respond.

4. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    I'm not sure what you mean. How is that any different from soccer?

5. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the vast majority of states require at least a cursory familiarity with the adult game and all the nuances that come with it before they let a referee go for their state badge.

6. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is at least 1 men's futsal league in my area, but they follow USFF and I heard some horror stories about that league. We do have a healthy youth league in the winter time summer break. Additionally Futsal is still growing, so it's not readily available everywhere. In my area, indoor soccer is still more popular and the largest local indoor facilitie(s) (several arenas owned by the same place) is 100% against Futsal.

7. RefGil

RefGil Member

Dec 10, 2010
    The following will sound harsh, and I know I don't have all the info, but if there are no Adult Futsal leagues, then why do you need Grade 6 Futsal Referees?

8. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the rumors of Pro Futsal starting in the US, I wanted a leg up on the competition.

9. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have nothing to do with futsal and know nothing about the referee registration, but from the outside looking in it does strike me that since USSF is in the business of nominating FIFA referees for the sport, there needs to be some sort of structure/path to that process. The more popular futsal gets, the less that an ad hoc sort of system is going to be acceptable to aspiring referees (and, if it ever reached the point, might not even past legal muster).

10. Soccer is the best

May 5, 2017
    I have heard quite a bit of these rumors. I hope that Keith Tozer and his crew are able to start a league.

11. RefGil

RefGil Member

Dec 10, 2010
    There is a Pro League in Indiana/Ohio/Michigan, and has been for a few years. It's not USSF (nor USFF) sanctioned, so it hasn't been using USSF-badged referees. All of the referees are, in fact, USSF certified futsal referees, but that's because the assignor knows those referees as capable/knowledgable.

And to @MassachusettsRef , USSF has somehow managed to find 3 FIFA Futsal referees (Jason and Shane, and then Lance replacing Jason) without a program between Grade 8 and Grade 1. That said, I would hope that to be considered for a white badge, you would have to have a track record doing games over the U16 level :eek:

12. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, I'm an outsider here. But I think "managed to find... without a program" becomes increasingly more problematic as the sport is more popular, there are more competitions, and there are more aspiring referees.

13. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    The USSF has put a Grade 6 State futsal course together, and I know that it's been used in at least a couple of states.

I don't know (being in Canada, where the promotion system for futsal is actually even worse than that in the US) how the promotion process/etc works though, and how (if?) it's going to work moving forward as there will be a push for more FIFA level referees coming from CONCACAF, especially Canada and the US.

14. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Well I have a shiny, never used in real life Futsal Grade 8 badge. Actually that's not quite right. I have a shiny, never user in real life Futsal Grade 8 certification. USSF never bothered to send me the badge for some reason. But that's another story and I don't want to hold that against them when my name is placed in nomination for the FIFA badge. :cool:

15. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right there with you. I even downloaded the FIFA futsal law book which apparently gets updated with the arrival of Haley’s comet.

16. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    By all accounts, there'll be a new one in the new year.

17. HoustonRef

HoustonRef Member

May 23, 2009
    That often, huh?

18. RefGil

RefGil Member

Dec 10, 2010
    As with the regular, outdoor referee program, grades below 4 (and for Futsal that means Grades 8 and 6) are entirely managed by the 55 state associations. The USSF Referee Development Program put together some powerpoint training material that they called a Grade 6 course. I would hope that the state associations wouldn't say "Take the online course and get assessed on a U16 game and get a badge".

Then again, if they do, I would treat any Grade 6 Futsal refs from that state as "suspect until proven competent". But we already have that with regular Grade 6's, right?

19. RefGil

RefGil Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Fair enough, but before we get to that point, we would necessarily need a National Futsal Referee Program (and ID events, et c.). We need a system of State programs to feed THAT, but since the National program doesn't exist (yet), it's kind of moot.

I think @Law5, in his (former) role as SRA, has said, the State Referee Program
    exists to serve the Adult soccer program in the state. It's use as a development program for National is, from the State soccer association's perspective, secondary at best.

20. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Since RefGil has brought me into this conversation..... The State Referee Committee exists to serve the referee needs of the youth and adult (amateur) associations in the state. If there are no adult games in a state (e.g. Wyoming), then the SRC doesn't need to register referees as State Referees. Of course, there will always be at least a few referees who want the badge just because it's there and having it makes them feel that they're a better referee than some other referees. It may be true that they are a better referee than others but it's pointless for the SRC to identify them as being capable of doing games that don't exist in the state.

Our state has a few futsal facilities, as distinct from indoor (dasher board) facilities, of which we have more. None of the indoor facilities are USSF affiliated. I am told that one of the futsal facilities has USSF affiliated futsal one or two nights a week. When USSF's Development Academy announced that they would be having a DA futsal tournament here, some of our referees who do indoor/futsal got registered so they could do those games. (I think all of them are members of the same family, all of whom are USSF grade 6 or 7 referees.) I assume that they are the ones doing the futsal games on those nights.

I am very good friends with a coach who is a FIFA Futsal Coach and he says that the pro futsal league is in formation. I think he told me that they were planning to start up in 2018.

USSF and FIFA have had a fraught relationship with USFF over the years. At one point, USFF asserted trademark or copyright rights to the word futsal and they sued FIFA for violation of their rights. Their case was thrown out of court and USFF decided to affiliate with USSF, I believe in much the same relationship that AYSO has with USSF. So far as I know, USFF still tries to register "their" referees, separate from USSF's registration, but only USSF registered referees are going to be nominated for FIFA futsal badges. So my read of all of this is that USSF is trying to create a process to identify futsal officials who can do the pro league games when and if they start play.

21. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Researching fustal in the US has left me with more questions than answers. There's plenty of indoor soccer (mostly with hockey like boards and field turf) in North Carolina, but trying to find organized futsal is not as clear. I find a few websites that look like they're 8 years old. Is futsal (not indoor soccer) growing in the US at the rate where it's worth becoming a USSF futsal ref? Is there a separate USFF certification?

22. Soccer is the best

May 5, 2017
    It really depends on your area. Hear in Michigan the sport has grown tremendously. Check out US Youth Futsal to see if there are any leagues in your area.

Changing subjects,

Yesterday I talked to the owner of a youth Futsal league in Lansing, Michigan the league is a USYF League. Come to find out he owns a pro futsal team. He said that currently there are two professional Futsal leagues. One is sanctioned by USFF (National League of Professional Futsal) the other is not. (Major league Futsal)

I had never heard of these leagues before.

23. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Never heard of the first, but the second is AMF futsal (ie, non-FIFA, but the other stream, similar to what's played in India in their new pro futsal league).