Gourcuff...WTF?

Discussion in 'Olympique Lyonnais' started by lefutur, Dec 22, 2011.

1. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    as usual, there's a lot of exaggeration here on the part of journalists. first, the translation is quite poor. but even in the article in l'equipe (the most complete version but not an equipe exclusive, it's an official OL press conference and it's handy to have the olweb link too) the remarks around them go farther than the actual quotes justify.

will yoyo re-sign? if not it's because the salary cut would be too big, but taking into account how much he's paid and what he's done it's clear he's probably going to have to take one wherever he goes.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actualites/Gourcuff-je-prends-acte/426537

http://www.olweb.fr/fr/article/le-point-presse-de-yoann-gourcuff-64299.html

2. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i'm going to do this, not to defend the club or make claims of my own, but to underline just how shoddy the journalism is in this "article".

Gourcuff: Lyon have lost faith in me

putting it with a colon makes it seem like a direct quote! what he actually said was much less categoric.

Once regarded as one of France's brightest prospects, the midfielder believes his slump in form is down to the club's lack of support.

at no time does he say anything even remotely resembling this.

Yoann Gourcuff has claimed Lyon no longer have confidence in his ability, reiterating a belief that a move away from Stade de Gerland would be best for both parties.

the first part is only a bit exaggerated, but if he ever did say (has he? i can't recall hearing it.) that leaving is best for both parties he certainly didn't "reiterate" it yesterday.

Once regarded as one of France's brightest prospects, the midfielder stands firm in his opinion that the lack of support from his club has been the primary reason behind his steady decline, not injury problems.

nowhere does he say anything at all like this.

"That fact that I've been injured regularly or often on the bench is irrelevant. I have not felt huge confidence from the club at times," Gourcuff told L'Equipe.

cutting these lines out of the context gives a false impression and gourcuff did not "tell l'equipe" this: he said it in a press conference which a contributor to l'equipe qttended.

Having signed from Ligue 1 rivals Bordeaux in 2010 for a fee of €22 million, the midfielder had expected to command a key role at the club. However the 27-year-old currently finds himself restricted to brief cameo appearances.

EVERYONE expected him to drive the team. if he hasn't, it has mainly been due to his form and his health. he has had more than cameo appearances whenever he's been healthy, and for a long time he was an automatic starter and undeservedly so. btw, the fee was €23 .

The lack of playing time has resulted in a total breakdown between club and player. Gourcuff, who has recently been linked with a move to Arsenal, is adamant that he can no longer remain at Lyon and revealed that he will leave any legal proceedings to his advisors.

total breakdown??? wtf?

He explained: "Sometimes I find myself on the bench, like recently against Toulouse and Bastia. These are small signs. It does not hurt me but I do take note.

all correct. finally.

"I will let my lawyer handle it."

ditto

Gourcuff also blames problems at club level for destroying any hopes of representing France at next summer's World Cup.

complete and utter fabrication.

He added: "I do not think of it at all, the priority is to play. For me, it [the World Cup] is very far away".

this he did say.

SuperSebGrimaldi and lefutur repped this.
  3. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    What a hatchet job of an article. Someone else posted an english translation of the Gourcuff interview that said that an "an extension is not an option" when Yoann never said that.

What is it about Gourcuff that turns journalists into lying sacks of shit?

CoDave repped this.
  4. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Gourcuff really is a terrible waste of talent. One could argue he's not a complete waste since he certainly had one terrific year and he shows glimpses still, though it's like you don't know what it is you will get from him one day to the next. It's odd since he has never, that I've heard anyway, been known to be less than professional in his demeanor or training but inexplicably that talent only displayed itself for about a season before going absolutely dormant. I mean there are other wasted talents close to his age such as Anthony Le Tallec who never even put up a star season but yeah, it's a big disappointment.

To answer lefutur, I don't know what it is but it's almost like anyone who was once labeled "the next ______" gets into trouble with journalists. Nasri, HBA, and Evra who we all know is the best ever. :) There will be no next Evra.

5. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    to m the answer is simple: injuries. he's had so many and every time he starts getting his rhythm and confidence back he goes out again and has to start from square one. taking that into account you can say he's had an excellent season so far for OL... what of it he's actually been fit to play.

6. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    another great pass from gourcuff, this time for grenier to open the score at lorient. he'll certainly beOL player of the month for december, but the best part isn't just the stats but the style. his work before alex's goal against reims, his shot in that match, and the assist just now... it's the gourcuff who wowed us all at bordeaux and made him POTY. finally !

7. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Gourcuff scored his first brace for OL and has played 5 games in a row. Is it too soon to call it a comeback?

8. zizouForlife

zizouForlife Member

Jun 3, 2008
    lets wait until december .. he deserves second chance... his been through a lot the past 2 years

StarrMatthieu repped this.
  9. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    once you get past the first couple of years when expectations were so high that no one could have lived up to them he's been a useful element whenever he's been on the field, the only problem is that's not been often enough.

super match last night well beyond the two goals. hpefully we'll soon see the same complicity with grénier that last year made us, for the space of half a dozen matches, the best team in L1 bar none.

lefutur repped this.
  10. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Injured again. You guys got excited over nothing.:(

11. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    meh. just one match and 50-50 for next week. since it's something he injured before though it could be cause for concern.

12. SupremeNTM

SupremeNTM New Member

Mar 1, 2014
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I don't even consider him as an OL player anymore, went through too much deceptions with this lad. Lets get back Clement from his injury and build something solid around him

13. SupremeNTM

SupremeNTM New Member

Mar 1, 2014
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    OK, few days later, i figure out i was wrong :D The perspective of him playing on the pitch with Fekir, Lacazettte, and Grenier is such a tease :laugh: I just wish he were less injury prone

14. zizouForlife

zizouForlife Member

Jun 3, 2008
    cant believe they released him like a dog

15. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    they wanted to re-sign him, he's the one who wouldn't have it.

16. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    He knows he'll never get back to his old form at OL. Too much pressure and too much baggage.

17. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    where is he linked to Gourcuff
    checkout an old creep gourcuff pic
    [​IMG]

18. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    mls is his best choice !

19. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Too young for MLS. I will predict he goes to Rennes.

20. zizouForlife

zizouForlife Member

Jun 3, 2008
    was money an issue or playing time

21. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Too young if he wasnt injured half the season. I say the Red Bulls so he can follow in the French tradition there.

22. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    neither I reckon. every time he's come back from injury he's been put on the field the minute his sophrologist says his ready and has found his way back into the starting lineup almost immediately. when he's been healthy he's been good.

as for the money he certainly wasn't being offered the same salary he'd been making but not even the most obnoxious agent could claim with a straight face that he merited it, and wherever he goes he's going to take a stiff pay cut.

the baggage and the pressure he's been putting all on himself. the president and remarkably the fans have stayed behind him.

but the whole experience has been a bad one for everyone and I can understand his wanting to get it behind him.

23. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Bein Sports is reporting he is negotiating with Montpellier. Never thought of them but I guess it makes sense if you think about it.

24. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Well, yes and no. I'm sure being the Lyon biggest transfer in history had something to do with it. A lot of fans supported him but many didnt and that was understandable too. The media certainly played their part.

25. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nicolin now saying he doesnt think Gourcuff wants to go to Montpellier. Rumors about NYRB now too.