Gourcuff...WTF?

Discussion in 'Olympique Lyonnais' started by lefutur, Dec 22, 2011.

1. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Some in the media and blogosphere are attributing France's superior play against Serbia to Blanc's decision to drop Gourcuff.

http://www.eurosport.fr/cherif-ghem...-dans-la-place_post1650706/blogpostfull.shtml

I also read a blog on The Offside that says that Malouda's goal should be contrasted with Gourcuff's sky shots into row z (on present form), and Blanc's choice to put Malouda into Gourcuff's was proven correct.

A bit harsh but maybe there's a kernel of truth there.

2. CoDave

CoDave Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Colorado USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Keep in mind the ebb and flow of player performance is something familiar to every player on that team. How many on this forum said Ribery couldn't produce for France? How many said Malouda's struggles at Chelsea meant that he should be kept out of the squad? The problem with a lot of people including this forum and the media blogo (pseudo) journalists is that they pick and choose what to believe, often leaving their double standards exposed to everyone but themselves. The media loves its demons and darlings. Ribery has gone from one end of the spectrum to the other in just two games. Gourcuff has been the new target of the brainwashing media for the last year or so but when that changes I wonder what you'll all be saying.

3. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    The one thing I will say about Malouda is that I've seen him go through hot streaks with Les Bleus before and when he's on, HE'S ON. There's good reason to believe that this streak will last a little while and he might end up being a key player for France during the Euro. But the more I think about it, to say that France played well against Serbia because Gourcuff was gone is a bunch of BS. Malouda was great in midfield but there's no evidence to suggest that if Gourcuff had played at Cabaye's spot France wouldn't have done just as well.

But for now Blanc is getting props for this tactical move and its in the media's nature to reach overarching conclusions based on 1 or 2 games. Lets wait and see.

4. CoDave

CoDave Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Colorado USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Like I've said before, an average performance from Gourcuff is a failure by some people's measures. A 6/10 from Gourcuff is looked at a lot different than a 6/10 from Nasri, Cabaye, Martin etc. The bias is so obvious. I'll see one bad pass from Gourcuff booed by the fans and any other player does the same or worse and it's like it never happened. Go back and watch some games and you will see. People cant wait for a reason to lay into the guy. But hey, he's still only 25. Time is on his side to prove everyone wrong.

5. NicolasN.

NicolasN. Member

Oct 25, 2007
    France
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    It makes the statement that Blanc brings the best of Gourcuff wrong since he was still coaching Bordeaux during those 6 months. And yes...my english is not perfect, I'm doing mistakes I didn't mean his whole career at Bordeaux.;)

Your only argument to prove that Gourcuff deserve the NT is because the media are saying otherwise. Do his performances since 2 years and a half allow you to claim that he deserves the NT ? No.

6. CoDave

CoDave Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Colorado USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Being tied for top scorer with Benzema during the qualifiers? I base some of it on that. The qualifiers were a good test for him. Many of the matches were when he was struggling at Lyon but he played well for France. Even in many of the friendlies he performed well.

7. NicolasN.

NicolasN. Member

Oct 25, 2007
    France
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    So your desire of seeing Gourcuff with the national team during the upcoming euro campaign is motivated by his goals against Luxembourg, games where he didn't even have any influence in the game but scored a goal ? Ok...

8. CoDave

CoDave Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Colorado USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The rest of the team played the same games as he did and did they get on the scoresheet as often??? No. Did Benzema produce the goals that a France striker should have? No, but oddly no one really had a problem with that. Also, many of Gourcuff's teammates played in many more matches than Gourcuff due to his long injury layoff.

And by the way, in my opinion scoring a goal usually means the player had an influence on the match.

9. NicolasN.

NicolasN. Member

Oct 25, 2007
    France
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    You are basing your opinion on very basic and pointless statistics as if it could measure the influence he had in those games. Against Luxembourg, Gourcuff has been bad. It's not because you score a goal that you are having a good game. Saying that Gourcuff has been good with the NT since Blanc took over the job is false.

Honestly, you are reacting like a groupie who absolutely wants his idol to be part of the Euro with nothing to back his sayings other than "the media are mean".

10. CoDave

CoDave Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Colorado USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I
    I respect your opinions but I have to say that while you attack me for being a "groupie", I get the feeling that you are strongly biased in the opposite direction. I see what he has to offer, you do not. Fini.

11. NicolasN.

NicolasN. Member

Oct 25, 2007
    France
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    How am I biased the opposite way since I'm basing my judgement on his performances during the past seasons with both the NT and his clubs ? I don't hate Gourcuff, it's just that he has been playing poorly, it's hard to deny.

12. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    [​IMG]

girls! girls! no pillow fights!

13. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    did Gourcuff play in the champions league this season i forget?

14. epugnac

epugnac Member

May 29, 2012
    Gourcuff seems to to need a sort of father figure type of manager, sort of like Alex Ferguson or Wenger, and I think he can mature and fulfill his potential with the guidance of either one of them. I think that Lyon was the wrong place for him.

StarrMatthieu repped this.
  15. epugnac

epugnac Member

May 29, 2012
    Yes, he played in the groups games vs. Real Madrid, Ajax, and Zagreb - 4 games total.

Here's footage of him from one of the Real Madrid games.

16. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
  17. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    the fact this info comes from le parisien doesn't mean it's false, it just means it's the kind of speculation anyone on BS (well, not anyone, but at at least the bright spirits here on the france boards) would be capable of making: reasonable and yet purely hypothetical.

18. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    He's been playing well. If this keeps up it might be tough to sell him from a fan perspective.

StarrMatthieu repped this.
  19. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    PSG should sign Gourcuff if he keeps this up at this rate !

20. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    rumors that Gourcuff could be loaned to Arsenal in exchange for Gervinho (Lyon to pay 50% of Gervinho's salary).

21. zizouForlife

zizouForlife Member

Jun 3, 2008
    How is gourcuff doing... Has he progressed and regained his Bordeaux form?

22. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    he's pretty close.

what i like the most is seeing how well he and grénier play together, something so many were sayng would be impossible. and if clem isn't available for thr upcoming france fixtures i wouldn't be surprised to see yo fill his spot.

23. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    isnt Gourcuff injured also?

24. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    oh for crying out loud.

i didn't even watch the 2nd half of that match (i want to thank monsieur bérigaud for that, because i really did have other things to do that afternoon) so i didn't even know.

just when yo gets going well he snaps something. what a pity.

25. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Gourcuff: Lyon have lost faith in me
    [​IMG]
    Once regarded as one of France's brightest prospects, the midfielder believes his slump in form is down to the club's lack of support

Yoann Gourcuff has claimed Lyon no longer have confidence in his ability, reiterating a belief that a move away from Stade de Gerland would be best for both parties.

Once regarded as one of France's brightest prospects, the midfielder stands firm in his opinion that the lack of support from his club has been the primary reason behind his steady decline, not injury problems.

"That fact that I've been injured regularly or often on the bench is irrelevant. I have not felt huge confidence from the club at times," Gourcuff told L'Equipe.

Having signed from Ligue 1 rivals Bordeaux in 2010 for a fee of €22 million, the midfielder had expected to command a key role at the club. However the 27-year-old currently finds himself restricted to brief cameo appearances.

The lack of playing time has resulted in a total breakdown between club and player. Gourcuff, who has recently been linked with a move to Arsenal, is adamant that he can no longer remain at Lyon and revealed that he will leave any legal proceedings to his advisors.

He explained: "Sometimes I find myself on the bench, like recently against Toulouse and Bastia. These are small signs. It does not hurt me but I do take note.

"I will let my lawyer handle it."

Gourcuff also blames problems at club level for destroying any hopes of representing France at next summer's World Cup.

He added: "I do not think of it at all, the priority is to play. For me, it [the World Cup] is very far away."