Gourcuff...WTF?

Discussion in 'Olympique Lyonnais' started by lefutur, Dec 22, 2011.

1. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Absolutely horrible against Valenciennes and probably in need of shrink. I hate to say it but I've kind of given up hope on him. Maybe it is time to sell him after all. His heart just doesnt seem to be in it. And I think his head is at Arsenal, or at least somewhere other than OL.

2. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I would still wait until the summer. You could loan him in Jan. and have that team buy him in June but I still would rather him be on the roster for this season. I mean you are in the title race and you have to sell players ? I know French football but thats ridiculous how OL operates. Youre in the title race you shouldnt be selling any important players.

3. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    The problem is that Lyon never replaced Toulalan because they didnt have the money. So while Gourcuff was terrible yesterday, it was Gonalons' absence that did the most damage to the team. Fofana simply doesnt cut it as a back up.

Lyon's mistake was to not resign M. Diarra.

4. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    They want to ship him out and bring in this guy from Dijon, thats the latest rumor. I dont know why Dijon would give you one of their best players now especially since OL claims to have no money and Gourcuff leaving would be a loan deal. I thought not signing Diarra was a mistake too but since no team even took a chance on him he clearly cant play.

5. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Benjamin Corgnet is an attacking midfielder so they would still have the problem of dealing with the hole left in midfield whenever Gonalons isnt able to play. It doesnt make sense since they have Grenier and Ederson for the time being to play the playmaker role.

6. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i will say it again Gourcuff should have never went to Lyon in the first place Gourcuff is still a star and will be in the euro 2012 squad only if he leaves for Arsenal is prefect or Juventus or Valencia

7. NicolasN.

NicolasN. Member

Oct 25, 2007
    France
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    I believe that Remi Garde has to deal with two problems when it comes to Gourcuff. First, the heritage of Claude Puel and the image of a very defensive team therefore he's trying to field more offensive minded players like it's the assurance of playing a more beautiful game. Unfortunately, it's not because you field a lot of offensive minded players that your team is being offensive, I would rather call it unbalanced. I haven't the game against VA when Fofana was playing and from the few games I've seen of Lyon the lack of a defensive midfielder when Gourcuff was playing rather low seemed really painful for the team. From my perspective, Lyon remains a defensive team, anyway.

Secondly, the insane investment made by Lyon when it comes to Gourcuff that practically forces Garde into giving him decent playing time. A huge transfer fee and an higher salary than the one of Lucho and Pastore and by a fair margin. I believe that everybody working for OL knows that Gourcuff was a huge mistake with a lot of negative economical impact.

The real problem with Gourcuff is mental. When he claims that he wants less pressure, it's ridiculous. Even if his career bounces back somewhere else, his performances will fallout once people will start expecting something from him. When Lyon signed him, it was already a long time that his performances were bad. Whoever wanted to sign him is at fault.

8. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais

I think he's a poster child for sports psychotherapy in the making. I'm not sure if therapy is common for athletes in France because I think there is more of a stigma in Europe towards psychological treatment compared to the US, but he could really use it. He has bags of talent but its going to waste because of these hangups in his head. he just seems depressed and his body language is terrible. when i saw the video of everyone celebrating on the plane after the 7-1 victory against Zagreb, and he was just sitting by himself with his headphones on, it really struck me how alone this guy is. maybe its a personality thing but i think he's just not a happy camper.

9. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Zenit St. Petersburg really ? Big club, big city but why would a French guy want to play in Russia. Just keep him until the end of the season and stop this nonsense.

10. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    a thread reaching 8 posts and each and every one reasonable and compelling must be a BS record, but the first one echoes my opinion best. gourcuff seems too psychologically fragile to consistently play to the level we saw him at in bordeaux's championship year.

actually pastore cost and makes more than yoyo but it's ballpark. just getting out from under that salary for half a season is worthwhile.

11. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Honestly, I have always thought Gourcuff
    is great at being a big fish in little pond, but
    LYON and Milan were too big a stage for him.

Perhaps he is a solid player with flashes of brilliance?
    Unfortunately the media hype behind professional
    athletes gets worse and worse. All the pressure to
    be the next "big thing", when they just can't measure
    up.

12. NicolasN.

NicolasN. Member

Oct 25, 2007
    France
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    He was bad at Bordeaux too during at least the last 6 months he spent there. Speaking of his attitude, there is some talk about his handshake with Kaka while he was subbed during their loss at Madrid : http://www.foot01.com/ligue1/garde-aussi-pense-au-complot-contre-gourcuff,82436. Look at Bastos' face. It's rather shocking, when you compare that kind of attitude to the one of Delgado & Lisandro when they eliminated them 2 years ago.

From what I've seen, I believe there are also improvements to be made in his game. He's holding the ball too long, does not necessary make the most simple yet most effective choices. He reminds me a bit of Anelka with the national team. He's doing his thing, without particularly paying attention of the movements of his teammates, the flow of the game...Perhaps, it's also the reflect of his personnality.

13. zizouForlife

zizouForlife Member

Jun 3, 2008
    i've always suspected something wasnt perfect.. there is something in his movement that seems off... his not a dribbler neither fast runner.. holds the ball too much.. his one hit wonder like gignac...

he would be good if their was coach who develop his game.... otherwise he has to do it by himself

14. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Wenger probably believes he could get more out of him. What made him so effective at Bordeaux for a short while but then ineffective for his last 6 months at that team? Was it just a flash in the pan or did he really have something special for that period of time. Is he an intelligent player or does he simply have a decent bag of tricks but no real knowledge of what to do with them?

A real puzzle this guy...

15. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Aulas has been defending Gourcuff in the press lately and the press are starting to refer to JMA as Gourcuff's "lawyer". Still out injured Aulas does not want to admit that the record transfer is a flop.

Is Aulas in denial or is he just hoping that his words will somehow magically help Gourcuff to find his lost form?

Personally I think Lyon need to sell him. Its already apparent that Gourcuff is in his own personal hell right now at OL. He needs to start a new project with less pressure and scrutiny if he's going to make a comeback.

16. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Gourcuff might be leaving for Liverpool this summer i was reading somewhere there going to match his wages,even Chelsea is watching him, i think theres linkes to spain with Seville,and or/valencia
    he might get another chance playing in champions league if this happens

17. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    He needs a less pressure environment so he's going to bugger off to England?? He'll get eaten alive over there...

18. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I would keep him. Kallstrom, Bastos and Ederson could all be gone and I wouldnt get rid of 4 midfielders.

19. Inara

Inara Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Gourcuff is the eighth highest paid French player in the world. He earns €6.8m per year. Compare that to Juninho, who earned €4.5m/year at Lyon

20. Inara

Inara Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Gourcuff is the eighth highest paid French player in the world. He earns €6.8m per year. Compare that to Juninho, who earned €4.5m/year at Lyon

21. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    this. selling off gourcuff gives the room needed to keep a couple of the above and then some.

22. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    We could split his salary between two players that would have given us more this year. We can't afford the luxury of having the highest paid player in France riding the pine and being overall useless. Man City we are not.

23. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    who's going to buy him? as of yet I haven't heard PSG lining up for him or any other big money club, there's a good chance Lyon will lose money on his transfer

personally I'm really disappointed with this guy, I saw him at milan and in bordeaux since he was rumored to join inter and be our no10 before sneijder came
    I was one of those folks thinking this could be the next zidane and the kid was rightfully on fire with bordeaux, even after he had a bit of a fall out and injuries he was still a good creative piece for bordeaux and lyon
    I get the feeling he will end up in the prem if not spain

24. zizouForlife

zizouForlife Member

Jun 3, 2008
    he needs to re evaluate himself . does he think he is that good ? can he handle pressure ? these are questions he needs to answer himself...

a mid table team would be good things for him to rediscover himself.. otherwise his past the point were he needs to develop. ... think about it his 25 at what point do you continue to develop a player

25. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    develop what though, he has the passing, decent shooting, creativity, little pace
    we've seen it from time to time both for club and country just not as consistent as one would like and at times not as decisive
    when I think of him now I think of some of the comments some milan players and staff made about his mental ability and attitude, I know some(his father) say they were just trying to sabotage or were talking rubbish but in my opinion I think I see part of what they mentioned
    as for another club, Lille should go for him if and after hazard leaves though the thing about gourcuff moving is that who wants to pay his wage in Ligue 1, or who can besides PSG and maybe OM