Gotoku Sakai, now at Hamburger SV

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by TheJester525, Feb 7, 2010.

1. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    there's no way this guy is going to play for Germany or the USA. He regularly gets invited to the Japanese National team training camps and is playing for their U23. So this isn't comparable to all the Johnsons and Williams' that Klinsmann could easily convince (because there was no other option - in the case of Johnson: There was no other option anymore. He was too old for a German youth team and not good enough for the A-National team). Only a matter of time until he gets his first official cap from Japan.

2. kba4life

kba4life Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Claremont, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty much. Only hope is that he is clearly not as good as Japan's current outside backs (yet). If he starts playing well in the BL1 as a LB then he would almost immediately ascend to the top of the US depth chart

3. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's quitter talk! Nobody likes a quitter. :D

How 'bout we actually call him and ask? Maybe even send him a fruit basket? Nothing to lose in trying for him.

4. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    doesn't this guy have to give up his USA citizenship by the time he turns 22 or something? Let alone he's a triple-national guy. Can't imagine Japan allows that.

5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Japan does not allow dual citizenship.

6. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but technically neither does the US. The only way to have dual citizenship here is if you are natural born but move or through parents. Is this similar to Japan or do they make you rescind it no matter what?

7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I'm no immigration lawyer, but my understanding is that by Japanese law, because Sakai was born in the States, he must choose a citizenship by the time he turns 22 (if he hasn't already). Assuming he chooses Japan, he would have to rescind his American citizenship -- or vice versa.

As for the United States, as I understand, it's somewhat similar. He is a U.S. citizen because he was born here, and Japanese because of his father. Because he obtained his Japanese citizenship passively, so to speak, the U.S. doesn't require him to choose. However, Japan does.

Theoretically of course the U.S. would rather Americans not apply for citizenship in foreign countries -- but I believe it's a bigger deal if they were not already eligible for it when they were born. Obviously, quite a few American-born soccer players have used their foreign citizenship rights to their advantage.

Sakai's an interesting story, but my guess is that he either will soon become a non-American, or he already is. If that changes, I'd be mildly surprised.

As to German citizenship laws, I have no idea.

8. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Japan doesn't allow dual citizenship, but on the other hand Japan doesn't have jurisdiction over the citizenship procedures of other countries.

So if you have a dual national Japanese-American living in Tokyo, this person will theoretically have to choose one nationality when he turns 22. But how does this work in practice? Does he just tell some Japanese ministry "yes, I choose Japan"? Or does Japan make him go to the American embassy and formally renounce citizenship?

Unless it's the latter, the US would probably still consider this person an American citizen irrespective of what Japan says.

9. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US does not really allow people to rescind their citizenship, and in most cases where people do it the US just does not recognize it. There are obviously exceptions, but there is just not a way to do it under US law.

10. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009
    You can renounce US citizenship, but there's paperwork involved. I really doubt that Japan requires everyone to go to the US consulate and sign an oath of renunciation.

11. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So in other words, he will still be in our player pool in our eyes even if he renounces his citizenship. Until he's cap tied there is still hope.

12. cd715

cd715 Red Card

Aug 22, 2009

They have such trouble finding LBs, but it;s true...there seems to be a bunch of dual national LB options. Unfortunately, none have been interested in US yet. Is Ponce a goner, or still slight chance?

Ponce or Sakai, who is more likely? What about Henley? Potts? Who am I missing?

13. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Potts has no interest in the USA? To date he has already played for the USA and only the USA.

You're "none have been interested in US yet" comment is way off

14. cd715

cd715 Red Card

Aug 22, 2009

I meant for the paragraph break to move on to who is more likely to play for the US, between Ponce and Sakai. Then, I meant what about Henley and what about Potts. Are they likely to play for the US or Wales/England. My bad for not making that more clear.

15. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was on the bench today for Stuttgart.

16. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume we're going hard after this kid, but I think Japan is his first choice & he has a pretty good shot at representing them.

I believe he also turns into a Super Saiyan(1) when needed, as sometimes I see he has blonde hair & sometimes he has brown. I guess it all depends on how much energy he has left.:D

19. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Isn't Nagatomo starting for Inter at left back, and only 25 years old? Sakai might be stuck on the Japan bench for a long time behind him.

I didn't realize he was half German. Anybody know if he's ever said anything about possibly playing for us?

20. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish I shared your confidence.

21. rearviewmirror_

Jan 4, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    If we haven't given a call, at least, then there's something majorly wrong going on. It's JK's club.

I wouldn't be surprised if we've already called and gotten a thanks, but no thanks from Sakai. He was on his way to the AFC Asian Cup last year (which would have been binding) before pulling out with injury, so he's defintely in the long-term plans of the Japanese national team. Sakai is also roomates with his countryman Shinji Okazaki, so I'm guessing that's not helping our chances either.

22. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DB reference for the win

23. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's definitely a long shot. I'd just like to see him get a camp invite to turn down. If press covering the USMNT has asked Coach Goppingen whether he's even tried to bring Sakai in, it's news to me. And in fairness to old Jay, the case for bringing him in just got dramatically better in the last month. I wouldn't have classified it as a no-brainer until now.

24. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wonder if Stuttgart will release him for Olympic Qualifying for Japan in a few weeks