Gordon Strachan to be named Scotland coach

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by frasermc, Jan 15, 2013.

1. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    So it would appear that Gordon Strachan will be named as the new Scotland coach sometime later this week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21023913

Gordon Strachan has agreed to become the new manager of Scotland, BBC Scotland has learned.

I'm happy with that. There were more than a few Celtic supporters who never warmed to him or the teams style but the man produced results on a shoestring budget in comparison to what his predecessor, Martin O'Neill, was given.

He'll work well with the players and with the media. He comes across as tactically aware and I'm looking forward to seeing if he can start turning the international teams results around.

2. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Good decision. He's generally done a pretty good job through his career. With Middlesborough probably being the only job he could be seen to have failed at. He's also got a pretty good record of doing well with a limited budget or surpassing expectations.

I'd expect him to get the team sorted out and better organised pretty quickly and hopefully having a bit more of a consistent playing style. And none of this juvenile pish like the Fletcher fiasco please.

3. Sweet Pete

Sweet Pete Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Taney Town
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Fairly happy with this appointment. He's got plenty of experience and is very much a guy who knows his own mind. I'd expect a more settled team and formation.

4. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Seems a good choice to me.

5. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Didn't see the match last night. Did anyone...?

Just glad to see us get a win. Even if it was only a 1-0 victory at home to Estonia. It's a starting point.

"I think tonight you saw the guys who play regularly and the ones who don't play so often.
    "We need to be even braver, to find the good players who can take people on instead of playing it square so often - get these good players on the ball early."

Encouraging words from Gordon Strachan. And backed up by his team selection with players such as Maloney and Burke on.
    Although they weren't tested last night the CB pairing of Webster/Berra still scares the hell out of me.

EDIT: Just seen the highlights on the beeb. Nice training ground routine for the goal. Other than that, not a lot to shout about but to be fair to the players, the pitch looked very heavy and not conducive to good football.

6. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Solid enough start. A win's a win and we were comfortably the better side for the vast majority of the match although there wasn't much to be overly excited about.

Quite bit more attacking than we ever were under Levein and I thought the performances of the wide players and full backs were good. Hutton looked more like his old self, Burke was excellent in the first half, Snodgrass looked a real handful when he came on and was going past players regularly and getting in good positions and on another night, would have made a goal. Maloney looked very good too. Mulgrew played well, certainly going forward.

The defence, particularly the centre is still a concern and you always got the feeling a better side would have exposed us but that's something I'm sure Strachan will work on and it's unlikely we'd play so attacking against a team who are likely to punish us. Good start but the first real test will come next month with the Wales-Serbia double header. I'm looking for 4 points.

7. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Gordon Strachan was the best choice among all candidates in my eyes. Good luck to him!

Btw: Which squad did he field last night?

8. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    • Allan McGregor
    • Alan Hutton