GOP Failure Watch Part IV (the Majority in Congress edition)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Jan 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Oh, I'm not suggesting the dems do anything like that now, just pointing out that they did attempt to get buy in from the gop when they had the majority.

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Those of us who dork over spreadsheets remember Paul Ryan's first claim at being a policy wonk, when he made his magic forecast numbers work by plugging 5% GDP growth into the equation. Well, not true ... he didn't do it ... somebody putting the numbers together for him did that, and when that was discovered, Ryan quickly yanked the spreadsheet down.

So, the GOP's greatest budget policy wonk didn't even realize the basic assumptions behind the model that he was presenting. A metaphor for the future, that was.

Gamecock14 repped this.
  4. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Doesn't know or doesn't care? Hard to tell the difference. Probably both.

fatbastard repped this.
  5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.politico.com/story/2017/...s-obamacare-repeal-replace-secret-pact-236507

Politico is usually very reliable at the type of journalism whose ethic is, find out what important people want to be in the media and then publish it. So I'd bet this article is dead on.

Jim Jordan got most but not all of the HFC to agree not to make separate deals with Ryan or Trump. By acting as a bloc they gained a ton of leverage.

6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Interesting stuff. The Tea Party has always excelled at exerting influence that is disproportionate to its size.

Not sure that the FC tanked the bill, though. The Senate was always going to be a challenge.

7. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I think it is sort of important to keep in mind what actually happened here. The bill didn't come close to making the Senate, it failed in the House.

Not only that, it didn't fail as in "came up short of clearing the bar;" it failed as in "never even got off the ground."

dapip and American Brummie repped this.
  8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw an article calling the group the FC ultras, and I thought of all you guys.

dapip repped this.
  9. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @VFish , I don't understand your desire to be so rude. You spent years attacking the way Obamacare was passed. Yet you see Republicans doing many of the same things to try and repeal the law. Where is your outrage?

11. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Much as I think Obamacare was a mistake and needs to be replaced, I am glad that this fiasco occurred. You are talking about 18% of our economy and something that for good or ill, people are now relying on. Some thought needed to go into it.

I believe that a portion of the GOP backed themselves into a corner on this.

American Brummie repped this.
  12. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    By failing to prepare you're preparing to fail. They had 7 friggin years. They're useless as far as crafting policy that assists the majority of Americans.

13. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, I agree with you. And I would argue it was more than 7 years, it was 22. The GOP won the 1994 election in large part due to the fiasco of Hillarycare and at first introduced some good partial measures to address healthcare (HIPPA, the Mothers and Newborns Act, MSAs). And we had the experience of Romneycare in Massachusetts as well as TennCare in Tennessee. All of these experiments should have lead to some sort of But then what exactly? They got tired of it I guess and it was easier to make grand gestures than actually govern.

One of the reasons I gave up on the national GOP (also one reason I tend to like governors to run for president, they actually need to get things done that need to be done).

stanger and American Brummie repped this.
  14. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    How was Obamacare a mistake and what do you propose we replace it with?

15. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It didn't go far enough and lots of the states were too stupid to take the free federal money that would have helped a lot of people.

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    <looks for ignored content link>
    <doesn't find it>
    <extremely puzzled>
    The original sin at the heart of the AHCA is that its goal was never ever ever to improve our health insurance. The goal was to cut taxes on the rich by almost a trillion dollars. If you suck almost a T out of health insurance, of course the end result is going to be awful.

It's Ryan's brainchild, and it's arguably the most internally incoherent bill proposed this millennium. Ryan is a policy dunce. The sooner the Gang of 500 accepts that reality, the sooner we can stop the slide into being an ungovernable county.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  17. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    This is one of the most sneaky-evil phrases ever concocted, and it needs to be killed.

stanger repped this.
  18. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Twas about a week ago.

Well, Romneycare is Obamacare, but point heard.

19. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    It was not Healthcare Insurance, it was Wealthcare Insurance.

20. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    To think that I almost had the pleasure to shake this scumbag's hand when he was campaigning at my voting precinct...

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/article145942934.html

“My actions and my presence in government is now a distraction to my colleagues, the legislative process, and the citizens of our great State,” Artiles wrote. “I am responsible and I am accountable and effective immediately, I am resigning from the Florida State Senate.

“It’s clear there are consequences to every action, and in this area, I will need time for personal reflection and growth.”

Negron forced Artiles to apologize on the Senate floor Wednesday for his alcohol-fueled racist and sexist Monday night tirade against Sen. Audrey Gibson, D-Jacksonville. But black lawmakers outraged at Artiles for calling Gibson a “bitch” and a “girl” — and for referring to some Republicans as “**********s” — said saying sorry was not enough: They formally sought his expulsion from the Senate.

21. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, Florida politics...

22. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    So, erm, how do you guys feel about an RNC contracted marketing firm negligently exposing the personal details of 200 million American voters?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40331215

crazypete13 repped this.
  23. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can buy this stuff for $60,000 already thanks to Google. The damage was done long ago.

24. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Stupid rules and regulations, if they didn't exist we wouldn't do stuff like putting the information on a public server.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  25. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only reason the GOP stuck with Trump these past six months was to get their agenda passed.

Their agenda is dead.

What will they do next week when Trump is reported to have been at that meeting?

dapip repped this.