GOP Failure Watch Part II

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Aug 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    True...so full marks to the McCain campaign for nailing down the AK vote! ;)

2. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    McDonnell stepped on his dick bigtime by sponsoring the whole trans-vaginal law and then signing an amended form of the measure into law. Add the lunatic writings of his back in college and Romney can't run away from McDonnell fast enough. A few short months ago it sounded like he was a shoe-in for VP and actively campaigned for it, now he's persona non grata in his own party and state. Virginia being a swing state isn't helping him either.

3. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something tells me that if Romney picks a Cuban-American as his Veep candidate, it's not going to be terribly compelling for a lot of the Mexican-American voters in the West. They know the score when it comes to Cubans.

4. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Reservations

5. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You really don't have that good of a grasp how food and materials are transported in this country, do you?

It's beliefs like this as to why the Dems were in the wilderness

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My pops and mom for sure, I am an Anchor baby.

7. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) McDonnell would have to jump up pretty high to step on his dick. Sadly, caving a tiny bit and easing back the crazy a tad on that law is the part that'll get him in trouble with that side of the ticket.
    b) I still don't think Virginia is much of a swing state. It might be over there where you live ;) Where I am, I don't see much but a big red swath. The two precincts out my way where it was purple in '08 (blue for Obama), they've redistricted to put all the possible Dems into a previous Dem controlled area anyway, leaving the other two back to solid red - which does mean I get to finally stop voting in a Presbyterian Church - but now I have to go vote in a Lutheran Church 3 times further away from my house. Grrrrr.

8. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Definitive proof has arrived that Americans are the stupidest people in the G20 -

9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Geez. Where to put this? The Rush thread? The Breitbart thread, public deception subthread? Whack jobs? Maybe even the Obama fail thread?:

Obama a Muslim According to Polling in the South

The incorrect belief that President Obama is Muslim is alive and well among some southern Republican voters, according to a new poll.

According to the latest PPP survey, a full majority — 52 percent — of Mississippi Republicans polled say that Obama is a Muslim, with only 12 percent of voters correctly identifying him as a Christian. Another 36 percent surveyed report that they are unsure about the president's faith.

In Alabama, PPP finds that 45 percent of GOP voters report that Obama is a Muslim, with 41 percent uncertain. Only 14 percent correctly identify Obama as a Christian.

"We’d never polled that anywhere else so I didn’t really know what to expect," PPP director Tom Jensen said in an email. "But I’m not terribly surprised by the numbers, especially in the context of the level of birtherism we found still existing in Georgia, Ohio, and Tennessee last week. I think those issues are closely related. With both the religion thing and the birther thing I’m not totally sure all these voters really think that Obama is a Muslim or that he was born in Kenya or Indonesia or wherever—I think it may be more a function of people who hate Obama expressing that negativity in any way they can to the point of making these odd claims about his personal identity."​

A Bit More Colorful at the NY Daily News

Mississippi and Alabama are also deeply religious states that generally rank at or close to the bottom in most state education rankings.

Sixty-six percent of Mississippians surveyed by PPP said they didn’t believe in evolution as did 60% of people in Alabama, the pollsters found.

And in these states, Rush Limbaugh is an admired figure, with 53% of those polled admitting to having a favorable opinion of the right wing rabblerouser. The figure was 51% in Mississippi.

The survey was done over the weekend as Limbaugh continued to be hit by criticism for calling a Georgetown University law student a “slut” on the air.​

10. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    There also isn't much about New Mexico which suggests we are even slightly influenced by Arizona. Texas is the conservative state which influences New Mexico politics, and that influence is pretty much limited to the Southeastern quarter of the state.

And the Colorado-Arizona border is a point not a line. I don't see Colorado as much influenced by any other state, but perhaps a Coloradan could express an opinion...

11. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't mean to imply that it would influence their politics, but rather that if Utah, Idaho, and Arizona seceded to the Conservative States of America that New Mexico and Colorado would have to also because they'd be surrounded otherwise. :) Call it the North Carolina exception. North Carolina wasn't particularly excited about seceding from the Union, but because all of the states around them seceded, they had to as well.

12. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Yahoo is currently reporting this story under the headline:

"Only 12 percent of Miss. voters think Obama is Christian."

even though the poll was of Mississippi Republicans, not voters.

:(

14. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Thanks to the Electoral College, their votes for President don't count. The system works.

15. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Thanks to the electoral college, neither does yours.

16. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    It's okay, the stupids are concentrated in less populous states. The one benefit of EC has been the neutralizing effect on extremist positions.

17. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Fixed.

18. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Fixed your fix.

19. KevTheGooner

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    True, thanks.

20. KevTheGooner

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    Colorado's party affiliation depends on geography. There are a couple congressional districts in suburban Denver that are 50-50 though, IIRC.

21. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Denver = blue, Denver suburbs = purple, the rest of the state = red?

22. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's actually quite complicated. Colorado is a very odd bird politically.

Blue: Denver, Boulder (UC), Pueblo (CSU), Fort Collins (CSU), and the ski towns

Red: Plains (basically an extension of Kansas), Colorado Springs (Air Force), rural /ranch country (particularly the far west)

23. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Alright that is complicated. It's simpler in Illinois -- they love Kenyan Muslims in Chicago, like them alright in the burbs, and make the sign of the cross downstate.

24. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I suppose it looks like an earthquake map or topographical map with Chicago as the blue center and the waves get more red as they get wider.

25. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I was actually referring to the popular vote. Gore won that, correct? So with no EC, no Dubya?