Gooch to Milan IV [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by giffenbone, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    IIRC, there were matches in which Silva or Nesta was not available, and the CB who got the call was not Gooch. There is nothing debatable about this observation.

3. mcritelli

mcritelli Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    There were 2 matches in which Silva was unavailable, and Kaladze played in both of them. Which isn't terribly surprising, considering he's been at the team for 8 years. However, Kaladze is on the outs, so for the past few months it would have been between Favalli and Gooch; Favalli hasn't always looked that great (especially at 38) and Gooch would definitely have seen PT.

@SFS: Partly what uniteo said, but I also don't think that Leo will be leaving. He's well-liked at the club, and has done very well with the limited resources at his disposal. He's given Berlusconi a list of things that would need to be met in order for him to stay, so it's up to Berlusconi at this point.

4. Trav-Man

Trav-Man Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This.

With his crystal ball, SFS already knows that Leonardo is getting canned, who is going to replace him, and what players they are going to bring in that are "a couple of notches above Gooch."

This is just another example of said poster applying his "expertise" on a situation he has no idea about. It's baseless speculation at best. That being said, it should come as a surprise to nobody.

5. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    I don't doubt that Gooch would have gotten some PT had he not been injured. My disagreement with Pavlov was whether Gooch was ever Milan's third choice CB when everyone is healthy and available.

6. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An English-language article discussing the Milan defensive issues, roster changes, and the potential for Leonardo to be fired or even to resign in order to return to Brazil.

7. Trav-Man

Trav-Man Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Trequartista10

Apr 10, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Have you seen Favali and Oddo's performances this year. Gooch would be an upgrade. He just needs the chance and some confidence.

9. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gooch would have played plenty this season if it weren't for his injury. I think he would have had every chance of establishing himself as the third CB.

10. mcritelli

mcritelli Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Kinda surprised, actually. Although I guess this means that Berlusconi didn't want to meet Leonardo's demands.

/waits for SFS to come and rub it in my face

11. wooglin12

wooglin12 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forget the Leonardo news for a sec. We have bigger news.

From Gooch (@OguchiOnyewu5) via Twitter:

13. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps this is an example of why it's a better idea to post congenially, rather than confrontationally.

14. Trequartista10

Apr 10, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wonderful, now Bradly has no excuse to have Bornstein on the field......

15. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What an optimistic view of the world you seem to have ;)

16. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    I would imagine Leonardo leaving is not good for Gooch -- but it may not be bad either.

17. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    Who knows? We didn't seen enough of a healthy Onyewu to know if Leonardo liked him or did not. It may depend how much money a new manager has to know whether he'll bring in preferred players.

18. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    It's not a very rich club, and I doubt they could get much money for Gooch. Considering his relatively cheap wages, and low transfer value - I'd imagine odds are Milan would ask the new Manager to try and use him - especially considering his age. I mean, what's the down side of this? It's really a low-risk/high-reward proposition.

19. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    Well it wouldn't be a matter of selling Onyewu really, but it may be that a new manager may have a transfer fund and with CB departures, little Milan track record for OO, and some favorites from elsewhere (e.g., Hodgson bringing Bredeland), new CBs could be bought, knocking Gooch down to 5th or 6th.

One could argue that from a USMNT perspective, 2011 is relatively irrelevant, of course.

20. FC Matt 90

FC Matt 90 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would consider that person to be foolish, considering the Gold Cup that actually matters is next year (Confed Cup berth on the line).

21. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    First, the value of Confederations Cup performance prior to WC year has yet to be determined. If we are 3 and out and seem out-prepared in SA, then I say it's over-rated.

Second, I find it hard to believe that Gold Cup performance is reliant on Onyewu getting much Milan playing time.

22. Trav-Man

Trav-Man Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The beef with SFS was that he thinks it's almost a for sure thing that the coach will have no place in his squad for Gooch. It's fine to not like what he brings to the table, doesn't mean that the coaches don't see value in Gooch--especially if he has a good summer.

23. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    You'd have to think that Milan will spend a fortune in trying to fix their midfield before doing anything else. This isn't like the other bigger clubs where they can just spend where they want. I think Milan would have to be more surgical. Besides, they tracked Gooch for 2 years before offering him a contract IIRC. The ConFed was just the final clue in why they picked him up.

I agree with the other poster that 2011 will be pretty important. We only play Mexico in a meaningful match 3 times over 4 years, and that will be one of those matches. The stakes for that match are HUGE. Thats why I love the ConFec Cup tie in. It makes the Gold Cup an actually meaningful tournament.

I also agree that playing time for AC Milan isn't as important, because Onyewu can simply play himself into shape over a camp and multiple matches leading up to a semi-final/final.

24. FC Matt 90

FC Matt 90 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that Gooch getting Gold Cup time is reliant on his Milan playing time, but 2011 is not irrelevant.

I also don't think that the Confed Cup was anything BUT a good thing for the USMNT. 5 games against elite opponents? Sounds like some damn good preparation to me, and better than anything else available. If they crash out of SA, it doesn't necessarily mean that the Confed Cup is "over-rated".

And, as much as some people want to downgrade everything that isn't the World Cup and discount the FIFA rankings, those things actually can have a huge impact on the World Cup.

How did FIFA dish out the 7 seeds (aside from SA) this time around? The top 7 teams in the October '09 rankings. So winning the Gold Cup and playing in the Confed Cup (both of which helped the US move up in the rankings) actually can have some impact on our next World Cup campaign.

But let's get back on topic...woo for Gooch being back in training. AC Milan have matches against Fiorentina (5/1) and Genova (5/9) before Gooch would have to leave for camp. Wonder if he'll make the bench or even appear given the injury woes.