Gooch: The International House Hunter - Episode 8: Hillsborough Stadium

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Jgco, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone mentioned he hadn't played at regularly since like 2009 or 2010. I was responding to that point.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  2. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He also played pretty regularly at Sheffield Wednesday. I think that was the last time.

3. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He got a bit of time at Sheffield and Sporting, but he wasn't really a frequent starter at any of those. He earned 17 and 16 league caps in the 1 season he spent with those teams, (though he did get a decent amount of action in non league games for Sporting) which isn't bad but that's not a lot.

Maybe saying he hasn't gotten time since pre South Africa was hyperbolic, but he hasn't really been a regular season longe starter anywhere since leaving Standard Liege 8 years ago

KicksNgiggles repped this.
  4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    #879 LouisianaViking07/09, Jan 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    he should have re-signed for them. i recall he was hoping he'd get selected to the 2014 roster

And to the poster above you, I recall he was doing quite well at Sporting. Scored a few and seemed to be a fan fav.

what I want to know is what happened at Malaga where he could only get 2 league appearances all year?

Attached Files:

5. Gooch_Onyewu

Gooch_Onyewu Member

Jan 30, 2008
    VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Malaga were pretty good around that time and were in Champions League. I always thought he was pretty out of place on that team.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Not true.

He signed for Sporting in the summer of 2011 and made 17 league appearances (in a 30-game season), 5 Europa League appearances (all group stage or later) and 9 appearances in the two Cup competitions during 2011-12. He was out injured for 2 months, missing 8 league games during that period, and when he played, he failed to go 90' in only 4 out of 31 games.

He signed for Wednesday in November with 21 league games left in the season. He played in 17 of them, going 90' in all but 2. Which is why Wednesday offered him a new contract. Why he didn't take it is a mystery, which I suspect even he would struggle to answer.

Those are regular starter figures. IMO it's his bizarre decisions since leaving Malaga that have many people thinking he'd become a fade-away that couldn't get a game at a decent level. I was one of them.

Harsh, but fair. His career - pre-injury - shouts "rotator for a top team in a top league/starter for a top team in a not-quite-top league." At a CL side in La Liga, he was no more than a depth player.

7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Did I see on the crawl tonight he is going to Philly? (OK, just went back and saw it confirmed by David M who is the only person I believe without google verification.) Wow. Is he 100 yet?

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Considerable. Though only 2 league appearances? Pretty sad. He did play more in their domestic and CL games though

9. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just the next step in having the oldest squad at the 2018 WC.....Assuming we make it. :unsure:

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Gotta give big ups to him. Signed for some pretty decent to big clubs. And I recall rumors of even Chelsea and Madrid had some looks at him. I didn't follow the NT til late 07 so I don't know what happened at Newcastle but it seemed he always picked the wrong club and then an injury robbed his potential.

11. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He saw that Bruce was the new coach and decided he needed an MLS gig.

KicksNgiggles repped this.
  12. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like Philly has a habit of signing Nat has-beens. Edu, Davies, Conor Casey, Adu and now Gooch

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    to be fair out of all of those Gooch achieve the much and def $$$$

Suyuntuy and KicksNgiggles repped this.
  14. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't include Edu. At the time he made far more sense than the others. He just couldn't stay healthy

deejay, Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  15. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree.
    I gotcha. My comment was really made to note that in recent years Philly has signed several players who at one point in time played some sort of fairly important role with the USMNT and that their National team careers seem to be all but finished. Be that due to age, injury, Adu.... :p. But maybe has-beens was a harsh word.

16. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So... Gooch: The International House Hunter - Episode 10 Chester, Pennsylvania

17. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If we're putting money on where his house is going to be, easy money is on the Main Line rather than Chester. Chester is a ********ing dump.

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    he's the very definition of a journeyman

he's played in the PL, Eredivisie, La Liga, Portuguese League, didn't play in Serie A or Ligue 1 though.

I seem to recall he had several Turkish teams that def wanted him over the years plus as few French clubs too

The Irish Rover and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  19. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Starts tonight in the Philadelphia Union season opener

20. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I thought he might play 8 games all season. I cannot believe he's starting in their first game.

21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Hey now, when the wind blows right you can smell the arco...

Luckily it's a pretty short drive to Merion. Can be from practice to tee in 20 minutes if you're lucky.

22. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So how did he play?

23. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ChrisSSBB repped this.
  24. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For a brief moment, my mind was blown.

25. DrakeSC

DrakeSC Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Wait until you learn that he has 21 appearances in MLS this year.

Winoman repped this.