Gooch: The International House Hunter - Episode 8: Hillsborough Stadium

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Jgco, Oct 23, 2013.

1. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Dutch (Glenn Loovens), actually, but yeah, that's more or less how it went. Technically, according to Gooch anyway, Wednesday never made an offer; but that seems slightly disingenuous, as they'd released everyone out of contract but three or four to whom they wanted to keep on. Presumably they were far enough apart upon initial negotiations that the club never tabled an actual offer, but Wednesday wanted to keep him, for sure.

I never heard how much longer or how much more money Wednesday's offer was, but it's worth pointing out that they were really tight with money back then - it was before Chansiri bought the club - so it may not have been all that great. What we can say with near certainty, though, is that it was more than anyone else was putting on the table. I can't imagine that Charlton's offer to bring in November cover would've matched what Wednesday would spend for a starting centerhalf.

The Irish Rover, TimB4Last and Winoman repped this.
  2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Dude wanted CL and he got it. I recall he had other Spanish interest and from Turkey. He has had 1 hell of an agent.

3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    So def Gooch made a huge mistake in not signing with Wednesday. I wonder what offers did he think were gonna be much better?

4. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    To be fair, Wendesday were skint back then. He'd just come off a pretty strong half-season at the championship level, and he was out of contract. I remember thinking to myself that it would be likely that one of the division's bigger clubs might be interested and able to put him on higher wages. And given that most of those clubs would be better positioned than Wednesday to push for promotion, I had no difficulty envisioning more attractive prospects for Gooch ... if he even wanted to stay in the English 2nd tier, at all. Irish Rover has suggested that the terms offered him were superior to what he was on; and that may well be (probably is, actually) right - he'd just done a job for them. But I wouldn't presume them to have been greatly superior, or terribly good to begin with ... Mandaric had them running pretty thin back then. Factor in that he'd just been released by QPR to make the move to Wednesday (he wasn't loaned), and it makes sense to assume that he might have been on quite a bit higher wages at Loftus Road, just a few months prior. The rumor, remember, was that he'd 'dropped' down to Wednesday pursuant to a last ditch push into the USMNT for Brazil '14. Although that bit failed, he may have seen his performance at Hillsborough as vindication that he belonged at a club more like QPR - richer and poised to return to the Prem - even though he'd just struggled to get minutes there. It's pretty rational, really.

Obviously, I have no idea what he was expecting or looking for, but I can't really blame him for thinking there might be something better out there for him. It does, in retrospect, appear to have been a mistake - at least if that's what he was thinking.

5. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately this seems to be the story of so many of our up and coming stars from the 2000s... I'll keep a look out for him next time he's in Qatar.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

In addition to the previously mentioned Wednesday stint, he also had good times at Twente (a loan) and Sporting CP post-WC10.

7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I forgot about Twente

I wasnt around when he joined Newcastle. Gets a lot of criticism for that but i guess he bounced back with his 2 Belgian titles

8. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    My friend went on a trip to England when Onyewu was on loan at Newcastle. Has a custom Onyewu jersey to show for it. That thing has to be a collector's item of one kind or another.

9. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Why doesn't Onyewu come out and officially retire already? Can't see him ever playing again at this point.

10. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    He doesn't want his YA thread to be locked.

11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    You say this but wait until July and we find out he's signed with Man City's reserve team o_O

keller4president repped this.
  12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

13. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He looked like the best American CB ever at the Confed Cup in 2009, which prompted the AC Milan interest. But after his ACL was torn he never regained that form.

14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    which opens the WHAT IF?

Though he's had a pretty decent career with some impressive clubs such as Sporting Lisbon and Malaga along the way

15. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it was more being out of contract, Gooch's agent contactong Milan, and a fairly low salary that they took a flier on him rather than some big interest. The little bit he showed before his ACL didn't appear that promising.

16. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    He was a fifth or sixth centerback on the depth chart there. IIRC, he was making €1.7/Y gross then, which was slightly over $2M/Y. With Milan actually being good then, their top stars were in the $6M-$10M range.

17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    do you think he would have been loaned had he not had his injury or would he just have rode the bench?

18. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I think he was a depth/marketing buy.

19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    which I never understood. It wasn't like Gooch had tons of fans. He was a star in Belgium and that was pretty much it

20. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ehh, he had that Euro Passport, that makes him an attractive commodity.

21. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    The top global soccer brand is Barcelona, which sell just under 4 million shirts annually. ACM was a bigger club then than they are now and was looking to build on its presence in the USA. Gooch was a big name in the USA, so it made some sense.

As Roma got Mikey for similar reasons. On the pitch, much like ACM, they'd want $20M+ stars but every club also needs depth at each spot. Both US players received salaries commensurate with their expected status. Had they outperformed it by a large margin, they would have gotten a raise. Had they underperformed it by a large margin, they would have been listed for a transfer. The status quo suited the club too.

22. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And it was by far the biggest club an American defender has played at, which is consistent with my point that his form in 2009 was up there with the best American defenders ever.

23. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
    let us remember that had he remained healthy, he would have started about 25 games for Milan that year because the entire central defense was broken the entire season! I believe he started the trend. He was good enough to be on Milan after that confed cup... not start, but spot start or spell defenders in other competitions, his knee injury was one of the worst timed, and afterwards, could not recover to the quality he was before.... 'twas a shame.

24. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems that for many players, a significant injury makes them mortal. Prior to the injury, many professional athletes are super-human and can do things that most mere mortals cannot. They are born with a gift, but when something major breaks (patellar tendon, tibial plataeu, tib/fib) they lose that super-human level, and become mortal. Many lose that edge that makes them elite. Whether it changes their biomechanics slightly, or what I'm not sure, but most just never seem to recover to where they were prior to the major injury. The absolute freaks are the ones that sustain a knee injury and come back. We don't seem to make those in the US, at least among those that play soccer.

25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Gooch was a big name for NT fans but it's not as if everyone had jerseys with his name on it. For that $$$ they expected they should have aimed for Dempsey or Donovan, though they'd be essentially stuck on the bench but nearly every US fan would have gotten their jersey and watched games just to get a peek of them on the bench.