"Gooch Eyes England"

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BCAB, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    And we're both talking sterling not euros or dollars.

2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Transfermarkt had him at $6M but the winter deals seem to blow that out of the water.

3. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's too good for Villa.

4. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    IIRC, Radzinski was the op scorer in the Belgian league when he transferred to Everton for 4.5 million pounds in 2001. That was before the "collapse" of the transfer market, and I would also guess that a top scorer generally commands a higher transfer fee.

5. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But we all knew Radzinski was garbage :confused:

6. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    In 2001??? :confused:

7. ddw31089

ddw31089 New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    12m for Bouba Diop? According only to Coleman I believe... I have a hard time ever imagining Diop going for anywhere close to 10m..

7m pounds is a lot of money for a 23 year old playing club football in Belgium who has been somewhat impressive internationally (though also inconsistent). 7m pounds for a player outside of the big leagues is a fee seen very rarely.

Am I the only one here who gets sick of the constant talk of Gooch's "domination" of Borghetti. Great forwards are consistently shut down by lots of defenders across the globe. Doing it consistently in a great league against the best players in the world is what gets respect. Not showing some b*dass look that people get all excited about. How many other defenders have dominated Borghetti throughout his career?

8. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fulham turned down 8m for him before the season... I was cutting Coleman's valuation short actually, he told Arsenal 14m to even open up negotiations.

9. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    6-8 Million pounds if he has a good World Cup.

10. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and we picked up Diaby for about 2m...hmm ;)

Love to know what this is based on...my guess: nothing. :rolleyes:

I don't see clubs from Belgium outside of european play but the standard level of defense they've shown there is fairly poor. Gooch's club is about on their level in terms of goals against in the Jupiler league. I've also seen Gooch play with the Nats and he's looked well below the standard to play at a top Prem club. He might have the body but I haven't seen the skills to suggest he's close to being ready. All of the stupid red cards don't suggest that he's ready to go up against some of the most clever attackers on the planet just yet. He might be worth a gamble as a prospect because of his frame but not for close to 8m. If that figure is what his club is holding out for then he'd better shut down Italy and the Czechs this summer or get used to staying in Belgium for a few more years.

11. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    since when? Clubs can only have three players using work permits at a time in the squad named for a Prem match.

12. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Yes.. I just saw it now after I clicked the link! Thanks!:)
    Of the three teams mentioned.. I hope it would be Man City if it ends up one of those three... A long time 'til the transfer window and there's a World Cup to come so I don't think it means much now except that it shows there is Premiership interest at the moment..
    If he has a great WC, that list will grow a lot, of course..

13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Villa was supposed to have had ownership change but it's been dragging on and on ... the new owners are allegedly capable of pumping in a lot of cash into the squad.

Check out the game-day rosters. It's unlimited. If you can play in the UK, you can play in the UK.

14. aueagle1

aueagle1 New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Washington DC
    I know this is the rule as stated on that website, but it doesn't seem to hold up. Chelsea have more than three non EU (Gudjonsen, Essien, Drogba, and Crespo), Arsenal as well (Lauren, Hleb, Adebayor, Djouro, Senderos, Toure, Billong), Man City too (Reyna, Hussein, Sun Jihai, Musampa), Fulham too (McBride, Bocanegra, Helguson, Elliott, Bouba Diopp), Bolton too (Habsi, Ben Haim, Okocha, Jaidi, Borgetti, Diouf, Nakata, Fadiga). There may be others in addition to those. Based on that, I don't think that there is a limit.

15. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    I'd say Gooch is worth $3-4 million right now, $5-6 million with a good World Cup and $7-8 million with a great World Cup.

16. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Villa would be a great place for gooch , it would be a good chance for him to get straight into first team action , and can hold a spot if he plays well .

17. swilso01

swilso01 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Philly
    Bobby McMahon on FSW Report tonight said Aston Villa is interested...two witnesses are better than one right.

Interestingly...McMahon had no idea how to say his name...

18. EdBeasley

EdBeasley New Member

Dec 7, 2005

Lazio? You want him to play for an openly fascist and racist fan base, also known to be one of the most violent group of fans in Italy? No way, not Lazio. I'd rather see him go to one of the big clubs, preferably Inter.

19. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's what the PFA wants to happen. As it is you can have 11 non EU players with workpermits in the team.

20. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair catch. Thought that was the way it worked now but got convinced by another BigSoccer mod that there was still a limit. Teach me to believe what I read here. ;) He must have been thinking of the old work permit rules before they went to the 75% standard. I checked around and found a couple of sources that agreed with him but they are all from before the switch in work permit standard.

21. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

for crying out loud. Gooch speaks English for God's sake.

You think someone like Gooch couldn;t benefit from time in England, i say you are absolutely wrong, unless you assert the fact that hes so young that he wont start right now for some teams. I support a move to England because its the best league the world, but its a tricky league. The right team, he will play, the wrong one and he will sit.

22. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Perhaps your sense of irony is missing this morning.

You're going to have a hard time proving that the Premiership is the best league in the world. My point is that the Premiership has become the default destination for any prospective Yank and I wanted to take the air out of that notion. I do want him to go to a league that requires skillful and tactically astute defenders, Germany or Italy would be my choices. It isn't a requirement that he goes somewhere that I can watch him every weekend on Fox Soccer Channel.

23. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do realize he gets most of his information from these boards don't you? Its not like he is working an inside angle from his desk in Canada.

24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bolton.