"Gooch Eyes England"

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BCAB, Feb 5, 2006.

1. BCAB

BCAB New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Just another rumor article from Sky I came across this morning:

Giant American defender Oguchi Onyewu has set his sights on a summer move to England.

Onyewu is currently plying his trade in the Belgian league with Standard Liege, but has set his sights on a move up the ladder.

The 23-year-old, who has been capped by his country, is eager to fulfil his dream of playing in England.

"I'd love to play in England," said Onyewu. "The Premiership has always been a league I've aspired to play in."

Onyewu, who stands at 6ft 4in, has a further 18 months to run on his contract with Standard.

He has produced some solid efforts this term and has reportedly caught the eye of a number of Premiership clubs.

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=360666&CPID=8&clid=&lid=2&title=Gooch+eyes+England

2. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    A number of solid efforts? With a little research, they coulda made a more solid (and accurate) case by mentioning he's been voted in the 'Team of the Year' for 2005 and 2006..

3. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    I'm one of those who is still waiting for Sky to announce him going to ManU within the next 10 days as reported last summer.

4. suppitty

suppitty Member

Mar 15, 2004
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll do it:

At least he's got some ambition, unlike someone we know ;)

5. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unlike some other US players, Gooch is perfect for England (and also for the BL). I think he should set his sights on the EPL and he ought to continue to develop into an outstanding player there.

I'm a bit surprised no one made a play for him during the January transfer window, but I've little doubt that 6 months more waiting from Gooch will see his value rise further from his WCF play.

6. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    I was surprised no one did either though they might have and it wasn't reported. Some people have stated that with his team being in first place and the WC coming up he probably wouldn't have wanted to move on right now anyway. Also Standard weren't going to get rid of their best defender being in first place and probably knew they could get more money later. At least he knows in the months leading up to the WC that he'll be starting every game with a team he knows well. He'll probably move after the WC this summer though. I don't think he has anything else to prove in Belgium He's already shown he can get Red cards better than anyone else there! haha

7. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    Gooch needs to move to England. He needs to play in a league where the only way you can get sent off is if you break someone's leg.

8. Zeppelin

Zeppelin New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    i think the best team for him is USMNT.;)

9. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    I guess you didn't watch today's Chelsea game then!

10. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    CRonaldo got suspended for 3 matches for lunging at a player....and missing

11. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
    GOOCH EYES ENGLAND???

and in other news...

WATER STILL WET!!!

12. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Actually, he's eyeing England with one eye and Germany with another ... the boy's a little cross-eyed.

13. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Actually, Gooch needs to think in terms of finding a club in a league where they develop world class center-backs. I can't say England would rank all that high on the list. England is easy, its on TV all the time, the language is not hard to learn and the pay is good. But when it comes to player development, Gooch can do better in other leagues.

14. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    So are you suggesting he take the Jaap Stam route and go to Holland then on to Italy but bypass England? ;)
    England didn't hurt Stam too much, I guess..

15. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Ahh, the exception to prove the rule. The Dutch would tell you that, generally speaking, England is not the place to find a great center-back.

16. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Like John Terry?

17. Line9Foul

Line9Foul New Member

Jan 10, 2004
    Good ol' USA
    LOL it seems like our guys just tend to incline more to the English Premier League.... thats not a bad at all... i just wished to see a good American Defender like Gooch ply his trade in the Serie A for a club like Lazio.

18. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    I think they suspended him just for being a poof in general.

19. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Oh please not there.. If Italy, make it somewhere with decent fans like Sampdoria... (ducks);)

20. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    I can't think of any of country that at present has such depth at that position as England.

21. aueagle1

aueagle1 New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Washington DC
    I know that England has great center halves, but if the World Cup started today there would be some tough choices. Sol and Rio are just not playing well. John Terry is excellent, but he seems not to be at the same level this year (still better than any US player at that position ever). There are plenty of others who could take their places. I think England would be a good place for Gooch because his style of play would be a fit. I think it would be more interesting to see him in Holland or Spain where he would have more of an offensive responsibility.

22. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Jamie Carragher is brilliant. He has yet to prove himself internationally for England but should be given the chance to be #3 behind Rio and Terry. He was unbelievable in the run to the Champs League final last year.

23. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Throw in Ledley King and Jonathan Woodgate as well - he's playing for Real but he learnt his trade in the Premiership - and Matthew Upson. That's six even not considering Sol Campbell who's obviously awol in more ways than one at present. It really is the one position England have great depth at.

24. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There would be tough choices because there are so many good options for them. They're probably the deepest team in the world there at the moment, presuming Sol Campbell gets his head back.

25. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Exactly.

I think we can all agree it's pretty crazy to think that the EPL cannot develop some great Central Defenders.