Goldmember [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Foosinho, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "I love goooooooooooold!"

Laughed my ************ing ass off.

2. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was the worst out of the three made.

The best character had to be mini-me and Dr. Evil. The rest were pretty lame. While Beyonce Knowles did a good job acting, her character was nothing special. Goldmember was nothing special either.

The best thing to watch were the cameos, DeVito's was the best.

I was EXTREMELY dissapointed in this one. If this is how we can expect them to be from now on then they should call it quits now.

3. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    I seriously thought this one was hilarious. I don't remember laughing this hard at the first two. I agree that Goldmember was a dumb character, but I thought this was the best one. Maybe I'm alone here.

4. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say it had its moments. Goldmember was strange and I could have lived without the father thing. I missed the Scott-Dr. Evil conflict.

I loved the Frau as a Georgia white trash.

5. CrazyF.C.

CrazyF.C. New Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Washington D.C.
    I'd place it above the first one definitely... I'd have to see it out of the theatre to judge it against the second one though...

6. Foots

Foots Member

Jan 7, 2002
    Ellicott City, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Its ok

the first and second are still better though.

7. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't seen the third yet and am kinda hesitant to do so. Maybe I'm the only one here, but I think the second one wasn't even that good. It was just a lot of recycled jokes. It had its moments but Austin Powers as a character just kinda pissed me off. I liked Dr. Evil more than anyone else. The first has to be the best though.

8. phats_away

phats_away Member

Jul 28, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    first was the best
    2nd sucked
    3rd had it's moment,s but rehashed a lot of things from the first 2

i haven't laughed so hard when he took the 'urine test' in a long time

9. zverskiy yobar

zverskiy yobar BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 10, 2002
    Uh... she did?I thought she was absolutley horrid....
    But she made up for it as eye candy.
    :)

10. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Holy crap! I was really stoned and with all the flashbacks and time periods going on (where there 2 Doctor Evils at the beginning? When he's in his Hollywood lair, shouldn't he be in prison?), I was so lost it was hilarious.

That said, I'm pretty sure it would suck sober, especially compared to the first two. Just tired now.

PS: The urine test was hilarious, as was the shadow.

11. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    It was ok, and I'm a HUGE fan of the first two.

Did anyone else notice that Foxy Cleopatra was a complete ripoff of "Jamaica St. Croix" of Howard Stern's Son of the Beach?

12. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked the first one, loved the second one and felt somewhere inbetween about this one. The recycled jokes were lame but I laughed out loud a number of times which is rare for me (I'm more of a snickering-to-myself-kind-of-guy). I wasn't crazy about the character of Goldmember but I am still chuckling about the one exchange between Goldmember and Dr. Evil right after Dr. Evil told his henchmen to kill Michael Caine.

Goldmember: Can I paint his shoes gold? It's this thing that I do?

Dr. Evil (with a look of pure disgust): NOOOOOO! YOU WEIRD DUTCH BASTARD!!!!!!!!!!

As a new parent, I was also laughing out loud at the site of Mini-Me in the front-pack baby carrier and Dr. Evil asking everyone else in the room, "Is he asleep? Is he sleeping?"

Murf

13. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is a rip off of Cleopatra Brown? Basically, she's rip off of Pam Grier-type characters from 70's black-sploitation movies. But since the whole Austin Powers series is a blatant spoof of other movies, it's ok. But anyway, I say this movie had its momemts and really isn't as good as the other ones.

14. Metro

Metro New Member

Feb 9, 2001
    Dallas
    I was drunk during this movie and I liked it OK. At least that's what some of my friends said. I saw the first 2 sober...I bet I would enjoy them even more after a few shots of anything.

15. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    Got lost in the complexity of an Austin Powers plot.

Hmmm, it's a wonder why you thought The Royal Tenenbaums was horrible.

jackass.

16. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    *APPLAUSE*

17. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    Pam Grier's Foxy Brown + Tamara Dobson's Cleopatra Jones = Beyonce Knowles' Foxy Cleopatra.

This was on purpose - is it really that hard to figure out?

Nothing on Son of the Beach is original.

18. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    ahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhaha

Applause indeed.

Someone explained it to me: seeing as I was REALLY F.UCKING WASTED, I seemed to have *forgotten* a few details.

PS: I stand by my view of the Royal Tenenbaums, which I saw completely sober (as I usually see movies). Sorry to have struck a nerve...

NOT! (adding something like this at the end proves I'm cool).

19. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO, Goldmember was better than The Spy Who Shagged Me. Yes, it had some dead parts (Fat Bastard), and it rehashed some jokes, but the way it rehashed the jokes was what made it funny. Like Ozzy, for example.

I had a good time. That's all that really matters with a film like this.

Oh, and The Royal Tennenbaums was brilliant.

20. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing I didn't like about Goldmember was the mini-me dr. evil music video, I thought that was 5 minutes that would have been better served to have been left in the cutting room. I didn't like the music video in 2nd powers movie either though. Otherwise I thought Goldmember was pretty than 1 and 2.

21. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it matters, I thought Royal Tennenbaums was funny at times, but didn't really get the whole point of the movie until i watched it with commentary on.

22. Nobby

Nobby New Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Kirkland, WA
    It had its moments. It was less of a rehash since I did not see the second. Not for those who are not into the gross out humor. The product placements (Heineken, Cooper Mini, Pepsi, Aquafina, Britney Spears) were lame, audiences should get a dollar back for each commercial in any movie. The supporting characters and cameos were either very funny (The opening scene, Dr. Evil, Mini-Me, The Mole, Ozzy) or not funny at all (Michael York, Foxxy Cleopatra, Goldmember, Scott, No. 2, John Travolta). Its weird how cockney slang is funny and a thick dutch accent is not. Keep in mind, I did see this movie sober.

The Royal Tannebaums is an excellent movie. Be sure to see all of Wes Anderson's pics (Bottle Rocket, Rushmore).

23. listentobobmarley

Jan 5, 2001
    IMHO

Beyonce Knowles
    God damn her cleavage was amazing, But her dialog and acting was ************ing annoying.

Uhh What happened to Felicty Shagwell?

Dr. Evil Should have Stayed Evil.

The Music video was a little long.

24. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, the time travelling would blow up the universe.

Emmit Brown (Back to the future) would have fits over the space-time continuum in Austin Powers.

25. Kenobi

Kenobi Member

Jul 11, 1999
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wholeheartedly agree with everything in this post. The humor in The Spy Who Shagged Me felt forced to me, but this one seemed a little more natural. Sure, they used a lot of the same jokes, but this time, I laughed.

According to Entertainment Weekly's interview with Jay Roach, the scene that would have explained her absence ended up on the cutting room floor as the original cut of Goldmember ran close to 3 hours. Look for it on the DVD.