Gold Cup USA:CAN (R)

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Ref Flunkie, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI
    I only saw the 2nd half but I did see a replay of the PK. My thoughts:

(1) Good PK call
    (2) Good YC on Frankie (I really don't like him much) and De Rosario. I didn't think the little head butt thing was RC worthy.
    (3) Good RC on the USA (not recalling his name at the moment). Clear dangerous tackle to the back of the thighs for goodness sakes!! Question is, was that SFP or VC?
    (4) JAR missed a good 3-4 offside calls in the 2nd half alone, including that last one that should have made the score 2-2.

I must say that was one of the most entertaining halves of soccer I have seen in quite some time!!!

2. Chiller15J

Chiller15J New Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Chicago Area
    Ya the 2nd half sure got heated up. All the calls except for a few offside were great. I didn't get a good look at the call that would have tied the game, but when I saw it in real-time, I was thinking, "That's not right..".

I would lean to VC, he took out the player to prevent the counter attack, he wasn't playing the ball he was playing the man.

One last comment, holy crap I haven't seen that much complaining to the referees in a long time, at first I thought he should caution them for getting right in their face and yelling at them. Then after thinking about it a few seconds later, it would be a bad idea, he would have to end up throwing cautions all over the place and make a mess!

3. macheath

macheath New Member

Jul 8, 2005
    DC
    Last play, US-Canada (R)

Whoops! In stoppage time, US leading Canada 2-1, Canada scores what looks like a tying goal, but disallowed because the flag was up. But on the replay, it looks as if Onyewu for the U.S. clearly makes a deliberate play on the ball after a Canadian attacker sends it forward; Onyewu heads it, and sends it right to the Canadian attacker in the offside position. Canadians complained, to no avail.

I didn't get it on tape, so the only possibility I can figure (aside from just a glaring error by the AR), is that the flag went up before Onyewu played the ball, so his intervening header didn't matter. Of course, that means the AR put the flag up too soon.

Anyone get this on tape?

4. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI
    Re: Last play, US-Canada (R)

See I still don't see how one can consider that a "defensive play" on the ball. I still contend a header like that is a deflection. Regardless, I think the AR was judging the offside BEFORE the deflection, not after, which still makes him wrong because the Canadians were even on the initial pass. Like I said in the other thread on this match, the JAR had a bad second half.

5. Dpetzz

Dpetzz New Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Winnipeg
    First I must say I am canadian..Second I thought the ref did a pretty good job...i think most can agree the trouble falls at the poor job by the AR in question over the offside call. I think that people should focus on the problems the tournament has rather than one call. In other words..time for Concacaf to start running the tournament properly...In other words...take the best officials rather than trying to take from as many nations as possible. For example the last world cup, the norwegian ref who wasn't selected but refereed in the champions league semi that year. Second, it is time to host the tournament throughout the confederation. If the US continues to host everytime, then people will continue to question every call thinking it is just a concacaf wish to see a us-mexico final everytime.

6. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI
    Well considering how long it too for the World Cup to switch to the "best referees available" method, I'm not surprised CONCACAF hasn't switched. I'm always a fan of having crews of referees from the same country do matches in a tournament. Shoot, bring in referees from outside the federation.

As for anyone but the US hosting, I think it is a bit impractical to have some of the smaller countries host. However, I think Canada, the US, and maybe Mexico could do it, so I have no problem rotating it between countries equipped to host a tournament this size.

Hey did anyone else notice that the crew was wearing Olympus referee jerseys?!? I thought that was so funny with all the "WE MUST ALL WEAR OSI" stuff going on in the US.

7. Dpetzz

Dpetzz New Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Winnipeg

Actually since my friend refereed at this gold cup again..I can tell you that the jerseys for concacaf at this time are supplied by puma

8. CanadaFTW

CanadaFTW Member

Jun 21, 2007
    IF the AR put his flag up AFTER the deflection, then I think the CR is to blame for the blown offside call. The CR is much closer and should have a much better view of the deflection than the AR. The AR sees a deflection with a Canadian player in an offside position and puts the flag up. The CR then needs to decide who made the deflection, and then rule accordingly.

IF the AR put his flag up anticipating a deflection, than the error is entirely his.

9. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Posters I am merging the two similar threads.

I need to look at the play again to see if it was a deliberate play by Onyewu or if it was a deflection.

Too bad FSC has such a poor picture.

10. Ajaciedian

Ajaciedian Member

Apr 27, 2001
    Richmond, VA
    I'm quite certain he put someone's name in the book/sent off someone after the final whistle. At first I wasn't sure if it was a replay of the Bradley RC or not, but after a rewind, you can clearly see the 4th official right next to him as he replaces his book/RC in his back pocket.

11. CanadaFTW

CanadaFTW Member

Jun 21, 2007

I don't see how this is relevant. All the Canadian players were onside when the ball is played in by Canada, and then it is deflected by the American defender. The intention of the American is irrelevant to this play being on-side.

12. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    My thoughts on the ref, in chronological order:

1. Bocanegra should have been off for his tackle on De Guzman.
    2. De Guzman should have been cautioned for his foul on Dempsey, as Bornstein had been cautioned for the same offense just a few minutes earlier.
    3. Good call on the penalty.
    3a. Why wasn't Onstad sent off? That was a textbook example of DOGSO.
    4. Hume should have been of for VC just after he came on the pitch. He bodychecked Mastroeni to the ground when the ball wasn't even in play.
    5. Hejduk's yellow was deserved. I thought it was for the initial foul, not the afters. A hard-ass could have given a first caution for the foul and a second for the afters.
    6. Awful, awful decision on the controversial offside. The Canadian was even when the initial pass was played. That said, Johnson was wrongly called back about 20 minutes earlier when he would have been clean through.

13. Chiller15J

Chiller15J New Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Chicago Area
    Was that the tackle from behind where he had cleats up and hits his thigh to stop the counter-attack? If it was then he did get sent off, I don't remember anyone's name except DeGuzman

Beasley had no chance of regaining control of the ball again after his last touch before he got fouled. Thats just my opinion and the only reason I can think of why he was not sent off.

I saw that on the replays, I definitely agree with you on that one, I would hope no one saw it, because it definitely should have been dealt with.

14. CanadaFTW

CanadaFTW Member

Jun 21, 2007
    I just saw a replay, and the linesman CLEARLY only flags for off-side after the defleciton off the American defender. I stand by my earlier comment that this was the CR, and not the AR mistake in blowing this play for offside. The linesman gave the CR information, and the CR didn't interpret it correctly.

EDIT: The Hume bodycheck. Hume stopped his run and the defender collided with him, their was no "bodycheck" thrown. Did Hume perhaps make sure that their was contact, sure, but there is no way that is a red-card offense, not even a yellow IMHO.

15. CanadaFTW

CanadaFTW Member

Jun 21, 2007
    I believe he is talking about the tackle that flipped DeGuzman, a 2 footed, studs up with a leg lift after contact challenge for the ball. I thought it was a borderline yellow-red, and either decision would be easily justified.

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh? IIRC there was no run involved, Mastroeni was walking to the ball and Hume came by and body checked him to the ground.

17. mickhayafe

mickhayafe New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    Bakersfield, CA
    in soccer sometimes the breaks go your way and sometimes they don't. i don't like the US winning like this, i would have liked to go to OT and win without controversy.

18. chrisrun

chrisrun Member

Jan 13, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or the AR thought the Canadian player was offside on the initial pass and waited for involvement.

I paused the replay and it is VERY close. Probably should have been called even, but the pass was from some distance with dynamic play, and I think any AR would have had a tough time with this one.

19. Chiller15J

Chiller15J New Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Chicago Area
    Ya, he was walking looked like he was trying to make it somewhat hard for the Canadian players to restart play quickly, and the player who took the kick came flying in and just rammed into the American and he went down hard. Only one person was running, the Canadian player.

20. CanadaFTW

CanadaFTW Member

Jun 21, 2007
    I clearly have a different incident in my head.

On the goal, Hutchinson isn't close to being offside (their is a Canadian player just on though).

21. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    I think it's possible that the AR thought Onyewu was a Canadian. If you look at the replay, you can see that there is a Canadian blocking the AR's view of Onyewu. In such a quick decision, you can see that he might have thought the header was a flick-on from an attacker rather than an attempted clearance from a defender.

22. bluedevils

bluedevils Member

Nov 17, 2002
    USA
    The Bocanegra tackle was, IMO, worse than the Bradley tackle -- worse in the sense of 'endangers the safety of an opponent.' Bradley tackled from behind, but there was no malice in it and it was meant simply to bring down the Canadian player as a means of stopping the counterattack, not to leave a mark. The Boca tackle was much more aggressive and naughty, as CanadaFTW aptly described it. The 'leg lift after contact' part is very perceptive.

23. CanadaFTW

CanadaFTW Member

Jun 21, 2007
    I agree with this, and its why the CR needs to treat this situation differantly from a "vanilla" offside. If the CR sees that ball deflect off the American defender, he needs to ignore that flag, wait for the sequence to end, and then go speak to his AR.

24. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought both ARs were poor, with more than half a dozen onside players on both teams flagged as offside during the course of the game. I watched quite a few replays mumbling "no, he was on, and it wasn't close."

I thought the CR was only ok. The yellow on LD was understandable but a bit harsh. Hume, Onstad, and possibly Bocanegra should have been sent off. Several handling fouls were missed. OTOH, the red to Bradley was a good call. I thought DeRo could have gotten a red, more for the fact of retaliation than for the contact itself, which wasn't much.

:(

25. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    of course karma might say that the offside call was whistled at 94:10 after 4 minutes of extra time were indicated. Not sure exactly where 4 minutes came from either but then they played 5.