Gold Cup In Consecutive Years Then Not In Consecutive Years Idea

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by EvanJ, Jul 1, 2010.

1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think this will ever happen, but if the frequency of the Gold Cup remained the same but the years changed so that it happened in 2011, 2012, 2015, 2016, 2019, 2020, and so on then the Gold Cup winner would not have a Gold Cup and a Confederations Cup in the same year. The problem is how the Caribbean would work their qualifying for Gold Cups in consecutive years because their qualifying ahs multiple rounds that last months. I might suggest just having qualifying in 2010 that would get the same teams in Gold Cup 2011 and 2012 and then qualifying in 2014 for Gold Cups 2015 and 2016 and so on. The UNCAF countries have their qualifying in one place so I think having that tournament in consecutive years would be feasible. Under my idea, half the Gold Cups could be competing with Euro 2012, 2016, etc. for media attention, but right now only the USA's Gold Cup games are on TV in English in the USA so it's not like the Gold Cup is very popular in the USA now. I would care more about any of the USA's Gold Cup games than any Euro game. How much media attention and TV coverage do the Euros get in CONCACAF countries other than USA?