Gold Cup Final [R]

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by Mstr. Baitor, Jun 22, 2007.

1. parismatch

parismatch Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Mexico City
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    There were two and only two saves from Sanchez before the PK. And again, I am not saying that is the reason why Mexico did not win. Mexico could have easily win if it had converted the occasions it had during 73 minutes. That, however, doesn't change the fact that there is no foul in the PK play. Once again: Ching tackled Magallon, not the other way around.

2. graywolfe81

graywolfe81 Member

Jul 2, 2002
    North Lake Tahoe, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you need to rewatch the tape. Quite badly. No penalty? Man, there really is no reasoning with some. The truth is, if this game had involved anyone other than the US, I think your take might be mighty different. Then again I've never studied post game threads in your forum after losses to other opponents, maybe the out and out lying, preposterous conspirarcy theories, and total lack of accountability being placed on the actual performance are par for the course.

3. parismatch

parismatch Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Mexico City
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Please read carefully other people's messages before answering them:
    1. No conspiracy theory here: I think it was an honest mistake from the ref who was fooled by Ching's acting.
    2. I'm also giving credit to the winner who cannot be blamed for the ref's mistakes (again, congrats to the US).
    3. Mexico is to blame for not having scored when it could. (That is, during the 73 minutes when the US was totally outplayed).

4. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    :confused:

Ching had the ball, turned around to go by Mags, whose knee blocked his forward movement. That's a foul. And b/c it was in the pk box, a pk.

Did you not see how Mags dove and flopped to the ground to try and make it look like Ching fouled him?

5. parismatch

parismatch Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Mexico City
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    No, I honestly did not see that. I saw Ching trying to hit Magallon to get a free PK. I've seen the play about 20 times and I have no doubt about it. Let's agree to disagree on this one...

6. graywolfe81

graywolfe81 Member

Jul 2, 2002
    North Lake Tahoe, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No he can't. The green white and red glare of fantasy confetti that never fell is blocking his view of reality. It's a shame too. Noone said Mexico played a crummy game, like they did in every other game in the Gold Cup save the unappealing but effective performance against Guadeloupe, noone with a brain is saying they suck. I think they have a fantastic present and future, if they can get out of the weird rut they've been in since that heartbreaking loss last June. Outstanding youngsters in the pipeline, and now on the team as well. They're gonna be terrific, and it's going to continue to be a terrific rivalry, and I think w/the players they have coming through, they may finally break the 20+ year R16 jinx in '10, with a little luck in the draw, and good coaching. I'm excited for their future.

It's just a shame the ridiculous antics of some of the players, and the complete inability of them to accept reality for what it is takes so much away from this. You didn't see the US engaging in ardido antics, or whatever that nonsense is, despite getting rolled by Mexico for nearly half a century straight, you didn't see the US blaming anyone but themselves for said defeats, nor their fans. We sucked, you were pretty good, we both knew it. Now we're better head to head (though not better when it comes to how the two of us play against elite sides, you still generate better results with more consistency), but there seems to be only one Mexican fan in a thousand that can ever admit it, or cope with it. The truth is, if the fans and players could handle this reality, the reality probably wouldn't exist anymore because the wicked mojo wouldn't be in your head, it would be handled professionally, and rendered irrelevant, and the results would probably become a bit more even. Instead, the inability of some players (though not Blanco, based on what he was quoted as saying), and the fans and coaches, continues to make the mojo we've wielded since '00 something that exists in your head, and something that due to this existence, finds it's way to the field as well.

You're a fantastic side with a great future, a great past, and a potentially great present, your fans and your team should act with the class, dignity and humility that befits such a history and future. It's too bad only a minority of you guys seem to do so.

7. colwildcat

colwildcat New Member

May 6, 2003
    Westminster, CO
    I saw Ching trying to do the exact same move that he later juked the defender and goalie out of their shoes on. He spun, the defender was fooled and his only instinct was to put out the knee. If the US had done that, it would have been a penalty, and I don't think many US fans would argue.

Frankly, I don't care about the complaining about the refs. That was one of the best games I have seen from teams in this region in my entire life. No brutal elbows, very little diving or theatrics, great open field play, and two goalies (and a few posts) that kept it from being 5-4, when the penalty discussion would have no merit whatsoever.

The fact is that the US is the best team in the region right now, period. Last time I checked, WC 2002 wasn't played on American soil, and given the crowd yesterday, I am not sure it was either.

What a game.

8. parismatch

parismatch Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Mexico City
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    After writing this I saw the play once again. And every time I get more convinced. Look at where the ball is when Ching falls down. If he had kept running towards the ball we would've not seen even a contact between the two. But Ching was aiming for the man, and he got his free PK...

9. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I've said this elsewhere, and have been curiously neg rep'ed for "defending Mexico"... by Mexicans!!!

...But I seriously don't see the "Permanent State of Denial" from Mexico this time around. Except for that one quote by Hugo Sanchez, I've seen the highest amount of respect from the Mexican players and everybody involved in their federation. The players were very well prepared, w/ the exception of being somewhat taken surprise by Clarke. They lost their heads after the pk and got off their game plan.

Complaints about the pk are normal. Everybody complains about pk's, so it's not indicative of arrogance or lack of respect but rather the frustrating feeling of having a pk go against you.

10. graywolfe81

graywolfe81 Member

Jul 2, 2002
    North Lake Tahoe, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the first time I haven't seen Mexico melt down completely during a defeat, so I need to acknowledge that. They didnt. For the most part I don't think there was any element that suggested a lack of class which is consistently pretty common on there side. The fans? That's a bit different. In trying to figure out why, the best I can come up with, is that unlike the vast majority of the games, Mexico not only played well, they indeed played GREAT. They didn't outplay us. But they did play a terrific terrific, in particular Sanchez, Guardado, and Nery. Maybe, realizing they gave their best, and were beaten by a golazo and another team playing it's best, cooled down, the traditional tendency of them to completely melt down and lash out. Maybe it was the coach? Whatever it was, it's different.

That being said, I don't know how else to explain whats happened in 2000. They show much better than we do against elite teams, by and large, but they cannot beat us anywhere except that cauldron in Azteca, including, essentially in home games against us in America (more than half of the games played against them in the US since we've put together this string of victories, have been played in stadiums clearly featuring a majority of pro-mexico fans. The away environment has been anything BUT intimidating). I don't know how to explain it, but I do think we've gotten in their heads. Yesterday was the first time in a decade, it seemed as if we weren't, until they fell apart in the second half. To that point it was essentially even up, the US failing to put away numerous chances, Mexico putting away one of the two really good one's they had. A strange rivalry to say the least.

I'm not sure on the PK and that's more about the fans then anything, but I think fans know when a PK is deserved, and when it's a hose job. Granted some are in a precarious middle ground where it's hard to decipher, but this one sure didn't look like it.

11. Fueguisimo

Fueguisimo New Member

Jun 12, 2007
    L.A., CA.
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does throwing beer at a player have to do with soccer?

Side note: My "rep" is starting to look like a Mexican flag...sweet irony. Keep it comin' Mexifans, it still won't change the outcome of the game. :D

12. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    They're so blinded by rage or frustration or whatever... that they're picking the wrong posts!!!

One guy neg'ed me in the USMNT boards when I defended Mexico as having left the Permanent State of Denial!!! And he said I sounded "bitter". :confused:

I mean... he could'a gone after a smack talk post in World Rivalries, but no.

Have some pos rep to counterbalance the cowards who can't handle taking you on man-to-man.

13. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best match between Mexico and the USA I've seen. Certainly more interesting to watch than the 2002 WC round of 16

14. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WHAT??

trying to hit mag?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP_cDUwoZ0w

He made a quick change of direction which was impeded by Magallons knee. It an obvious attempt to try to stop Ching. Why else do you think Magallon fell when contact was made with his knee ?? Look at chings hands and look at Magallons knee. Obivous call.

15. CherryBomb

CherryBomb Red Card

Oct 27, 2006
    La La Land
    Yeah I like how Magollon bizarrely hit the deck with his arms up just after he hit Ching. No attempt to deceive there. :rolleyes:

16. parismatch

parismatch Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Mexico City
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I am sorry to keep talking about a non-soccer topic but I think this is important. Throwing beer at a player has nothing to do with soccer. We will always agree on that and believe me I lament it as much as you do. But you cannot honestly base your judgments about the Mexican people (as you implied in your previous post) on what a few fans at the Stadium did. It would be as stupid as basing my opinion of US people on what springbrakers do in almost every Mexican beach (vomiting and pissing in the streets, shouting obscenities at 3 am outside your hotel room, trying to dance with your girl as if she were a stripper, and a very long etcetera).

I am sure that you would regret seeing that as much as I regret seeing Mexican fans throwing beer at players in the stadium. But we would both (I think) stop right there. I think is the same with this. If we are to have an open and respectful conversation I believe we should avoid this type of hasty generalization. After all it is futbol what we are discussing here.

Salut!

17. parismatch

parismatch Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Mexico City
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    You forget to mention something: after his "quick change of direction" he forgot were the ball was! When he hit Magallon the ball was some 2 meters away from his feet...

18. parismatch

parismatch Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Mexico City
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    (And of course I am exaggerating when I say 2 meters)

19. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude stop trying to deceive yourself. I know you guys LOVE to fall on excuses but that was an easy penalty to call. I wouldn't be surprise if the ref gave Magallon the yellow for diving into the ground instead of the actual foul.

20. parismatch

parismatch Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Mexico City
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    And here we go again... What excuses are you talking about? Please read what people write before throwing your crap. I have said at least three times that Mexico cannot blame that ref call for the outcome of the game. Mexico had plenty of chances to score before the PK. Only Mexican players are responsible for not scoring when they could. But that does not change my opinion of the PK.

21. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is utterly wrong. That was an clear and unquestionable PK call. Your bias is clouding reality.

22. parismatch

parismatch Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Mexico City
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Not exactly the kind of answer I would expect from a "Bigsoccer moderator" but I respect your point of view. And of all those who disagree with me on this one. I, however, won't say that any of you is "utterly wrong"...

23. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Understand that moderators are posters too, with opinions of their own. While I (and many other mods) try to post with higher respect and restraint than is generally expected from members, I'm not going to refrain from voicing an opinion, even when it's to tell someone they're wrong.

And for the record, I am not a moderator of this forum. But if I were, I would have said the same thing.