Gold Cup Final [R]

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by Mstr. Baitor, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Banner or Hulk?

Mar 11, 2006
    Remember the Costa Rica game where Saborio was hacking left and right and should of been booted before the first half was over? Instead the refs kick out Aleman. A Tico was sent off, too bad it was the wrong one. Costa Rica had four people yellow carded (Badilla, Drummond, Aleman, and Azofeifa) whereas Mexico had three (Torrado, Lozano, Guardado) get yellows. Thats hardly a bias right there, only one yellow separates them. At 103 minutes Saborio was sent off with a direct red. At 120 minutes Costa Rica had Camacho sent off with a direct red also. Three players being expelled is a lot, but then that wouldnt have happened if they werent hacking throughout the game.

2. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    I didn't watch the game, but looking over the result i found that the USA's first goal was a penalty.

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it odd that throught the tournament the USA has recieved 4 penalty calls in their favour, when in all other games, there have only been a total of 4 penalties???

1 for Haiti v Guadelope
    1 for Canada v Haiti
    1 for Mexico v Honduras
    1 for Honduras v Cuba

3. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Saborio was being hacked..didnt u see he was being fouled a lot. Ill admit he did have one bad foul on Bofo..but mostly he was alone playing hard against 3-4 defenders. He was fouled hard on the play where Aleman gets the red card. The mexican just kicked his legs and somehow the ref didnt see it :rolleyes: . Its not our fault that we play hard and not like "little mamacitas". I really cant wait til the qualifiers:D

I hope for the qualifiers...CONCACAF calls up real refs though because the only good refs we have are a few mexicans and Batres. Every other ref is garbage.

4. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Re: Final Match-Mexico v USA [R]

Speaking for my people...

NO.

5. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Conspiracion o complot o un escandalo tipo Watergate no creo que haya. El penal vs. Canada fue penal (Onstad tuvo la posibilidad de sacar los brazos y con eso no le hubieran cobrado el penal). Y el de hoy tambien fue penal. Vs. El Salvador, si mal no recuerdo, tambien fue penal. Cual fue el otro? Vs. TyT? Seguramente tambien fue, pero no voy a especular mucho porque no recuerdo con exactitud. El de hoy tambien fue penal (evidente).

Metro

6. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got back from the game. Good times, I saw a lot of beer throwing, at the USMNT, toward the end of the game. Most fans were cool. I had some PSD Mexican fan saying to me that we bought the ref. He was drunk and looking for sillyness, I kept on walking by fast. Most of the young Mexican kids in my section by the end of the game were rooting for the USA. It does not take much, overall a great expirence, with most ans nice. The CA fans were there and rooting for the USA.

7. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Benny Does Mexico

No. It's not just you. The entire Mexican't boards are alit w/ this conspiracy theory.

Look. The US let in 3 goals in the entire tournament. They were the heavy favorite against everybody but the Mexican'ts. When players are outmatched against a superior opponent, they cannot allow for a player to go unchallenged in the box lest they risk losing the game. There's a risk to pulling and grabbing and what have you, but they're willing to take it.

Of the 4 pk's that were called for the US, neutral parties would agree that they were legit calls.

Now. I can understand Mexican'ts frustration at the US getting a pk when el Cri's diving Cobarde (O. Bravo) didn't get one.

But that doesn't take away from the fact that the Mexican't defender was prolly their weakest player this entire tournament and no freaking DUH he was too uncoordinated to stop Ching properly. But the Gooch/Cobarde play... not nearly as cut and dry as el Cri fans make it out to be.

8. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    So your saying that when players dont want to lose a game, they foul inside the box, so that the keeper can save it?? That has to be the stupidest thing i have ever seen written on these forums. If that were the case, Mexico would have more then one penalty called in there favor, as would Canada and Honduras. Costa Rica would also have penalties in there favor, but they have none.

To be honest i didn't care in the slightest who won this game, i dont like the US and i dont like Mexico. But 4 of 8 penalties called for the US throughout the tournament is ridiculous.

You can't honestly say that the US had no favors given to them throughout the tournament. As long as the Gold Cup contiunes being played in the US, then the USMNT will be guarenteed a spot in the final, its as simple as that. And thats why CONCACAF should look to switch between host nations. Although looking at it from an economic standpoint, they gain more in the US, the tournament will ultimatley lose what little credibility it has left if things continue the way the are.

9. Fueguisimo

Fueguisimo New Member

Jun 12, 2007
    L.A., CA.
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Such class, and then they DEMAND things from the US Gov. :rolleyes:

Again, props to both teams for making the game exciting to watch. It's a shame that the Mexifans are what create such a negative reaction to the MNT (that and the theatrics, but mainly the fans).

10. CherryBomb

CherryBomb Red Card

Oct 27, 2006
    La La Land
    Ohhhhh I'm going to sleep well tonight. Great game. Even better result.

11. MiamiCanes69

MiamiCanes69 New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    any other brilliant predictions?;)

12. JayJay4Pres

JayJay4Pres New Member

May 10, 2003
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the Penalty...

While the Yellow card was defintly harsh, the penalty was a foul. I've seen plenty of times that not be called a penalty, but it was a foul(the mexican pushed Ching in the back). It wasn't a hard foul. But it was a foul.

Benny's goal was world class, and the US missed 2 easy chances later in the game. Mexico wasn't as dirty late in the game as I expected(after Benny's goal).

But the ref was TRASH all around.

13. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe people are denying that was a clear penalty. The replay was clear and it was an easy call. Granted Ching added a lil latin american acting it was still a pernalty regardless. What would of been an easier call was Nery way offside on that play that lead to the goal :rolleyes:

w/e we won even with Dempsey & Mastro playing their worst game ive ever seen.

14. parismatch

parismatch Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Mexico City
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    C'mon! What are you talking about. There is no way that after seeing the play you can call that a clear penalty. Precisely what the replay shows is that Ching went for Magallon's body and after hitting Magallon he acted his fall. There is NO contact from Magallon to Ching, it was the other way around...

The US was totally outplayed until minute 73. Mexico could have easily won this game if it had converted all the opportunities it had in the 1T. But it is true that the US is not guilty of either that or a bad call by the referee. Cograts to the US.

15. parismatch

parismatch Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Mexico City
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Again:

C'mon! What are you talking about. There is no way that after seeing the play you can call that a clear penalty. Precisely what the replay shows is that Ching went for Magallon's body and after hitting Magallon he acted his fall. There is NO contact from Magallon to Ching, it was the other way around...

The US was totally outplayed until minute 73. Mexico could have easily won this game if it had converted all the opportunities it had in the 1T. But it is true that the US is not guilty of either that or a bad call by the referee. Cograts to the US.

16. parismatch

parismatch Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Mexico City
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    What does the game have to do with immigration? After reading this post it is clear to me that "the negative reaction" has nothing to with the theatrics or fans but has all to do with your prejudices and ignorance...

17. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    :confused:

No. What I'm saying is that outmatched players tend to foul their opponents more than the normal "professional foul" variety.

The US getting 4 pk's is more a function of being superior to their opponents. 3 of the last 4 Gold Cups going there way kinda, sorta cements that.

Besides... all the pk's that went to the US before Sunday were undeniably legit.

And, btw... it's um... quite common for players to foul inside the box, especially when they're the Last Man to Goal. There's even a specific rule for it and warrants an automatic red card.

Maybe you should... you know... study the game a lil' bit b4 opining and looking like an idiot. :rolleyes:

Take a look at those pk's. If any of them are iffy, you might have a point.

They're not. So just shut your ignorant trap already.

The conspiracy goes waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay up. It's [/gulp]... linked to the Kennedy assassination.

What!? you don't think the gub'mint's capable of that?

You mean like 1996, 2000 and 2003????

Look.

The tournament switched hosts back in the 60's and 70's and then disappeared for 18 tears for economic reasons. The confederation simply lacks the infrastructure to hold the tournament in impoverished nations. Mexico has the infrastructure, but the populace couldn't give a rat's ass about Canada vs. Guadaloupe, thereby making any game w/o el Tri sparsely attended.

Canada is now beginning to get the infrastructure, and b/c they're also an immigrant nation w/ a H-UGE Caribbean and Central American populace... could do a very good job of hosting. Rumor is that they'll get it in 2009.

The tournament is actually about developing competitive soccer throughout the region, not placating to the wishes of some Eurosnob on the Innernets.

18. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    the ref didnt yellow some mexican players when they deserved some cards, thats part of our complains.... so it makes no sense to use the number of given cards as a reference

19. Banner or Hulk?

Mar 11, 2006
    Who were these Mexican players that deserved yellow cards and for what action? Youre a joke. If the ref wasnt carding Mexicans as often as Costa Ricans why did they only end up with one less person carrying a yellow around? Try again.

20. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
  21. graywolfe81

graywolfe81 Member

Jul 2, 2002
    North Lake Tahoe, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wrong, wrong, wrong. How are you totally outplayed when you're forcing save after brilliant save from Sanchez? Please.

And yes it was a penalty and a worthy PK. The defender clearly deliberately placed his knee in front of Ching's turn around to bring him down in the box, then threw his hands up in a desperate move to suggest he wasn't culpable. It wasn't as blatant as the rugby tackle of Donovan earlier in the tournament, but it was a penalty all the same. Why is it always the same w/some of you guys? Anything and everything is responsible for you losing, other than the actual play on the field.

22. Banner or Hulk?

Mar 11, 2006
    Maybe, just maybe, it was because with that false penalty the tactics that had lead to a 1-0 lead had to be changed to accomodate a 1-1 tie. A goal is always the catalyst for tactics to change. Despite that Mexico did pretty well, but wasnt able to make up for the wrong call and subsequently lost.

23. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Oh you must mean the wrong call of not calling Nery offside on the play that led to the goal.

Stop making excuses you guys got beat down, we played you straight up no bunkering b*llsh*t and you still lost.

24. graywolfe81

graywolfe81 Member

Jul 2, 2002
    North Lake Tahoe, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you can point to any penalty, not being a pk with actual evidence, your point might have merit. The truth is, all were legit. There was only one PK that was controversial and it was the non-call when it appeared to definitely be a PK worthy foul in the US-Panama game. Definitely looked like it should have been a PK, then again maybe it was a makeup call for all the botches the ref made in the first half. That doesn't excuse it of course, the ref definitely appeaed to screw that up in favor of the US. Of course by and large the majority of the non-calls in that game involved the US getting hosed, but it was a product of an incompetant ref from what I could tell, not bias, since he hosed Panama big time as well.

25. Banner or Hulk?

Mar 11, 2006
    Check the replay smart guy, Nery was onside. I see the US new tactic is hoping a ref calls a bogus offside call. Worked against Canada, right? Beatdown? Please. A great goal aided by a ref goal doesnt equate a beatdown.