Gold Cup 2019 & Copa America 2019: Roster Expectations and Wishes

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by grandinquisitor28, Oct 24, 2017.

1. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I've seen some threads and articles which have addressed this topic with regards to Qatar '22 and the Olympics, but I haven't seen any taking on what the goal and potential roster/lineups could be 18 or so months from now in the run up to the Gold Cup and the Copa America (if we do play in it: I haven't seen any write ups online regarding our participation and whether it's a given or not in regards to the Copa America in 2019 since the 2nd week of May).

I've set the topic as expectations versus wishes just because I like the idea of a dialogue with regards to both what we think will happen, and with what we think should happen. I'm curious as to what those of you think in regards to us. We have a variety of goal's ahead of us with regards to the USMNT including Qatar '22, the Confed Cup '21 (if it still exists), 2020 Olympics, Copa America in America if it happens, Copa America '19, Gold Cup '19, and the Gold Cup and Copa America in '19 (if we participate) are the next relevant competitions our boys can play in alongside the U-17 and U-20 World Cups, and again in the midst of this nagging sporting depression I'm dealing with (sports is ruined for me after the succession of chokes from my favorite teams in October in particular (USMNT, and I'm an Indians/Nats fan (long story)), the only solace I've been able to feel has been with the U-17's who just crashed out, and with imagining what we could be putting together for 2019. But I'm also deeply concerned, very worried because I really have a strong and nagging suspicion that in 18 months time we're still going to be featuring far too many of the culprits who played a large role in the most ignominious failure in the history of US Soccer.

So what are your expectations, and wishes in terms of the roster and likely starting lineups? I say this acknowledging that the Gold Cup & Copa America in the same summer could result in a Copa misery a la 2007, where we were simply unable to bring out our best players, or even a blended A/B team.

2. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll take a completely random guess at a 23-man Gold Cup roster that I could envision our next coach selecting, assuming we want to put our best foot forward to win the tournament while also keeping an eye toward building for 2022. I expect to see a few veteran holdovers here to provide some stability (hence the inclusion of guys like Michael Bradley, Matt Besler and Brad Guzan).

GK:
    Brad Guzan (34), Ethan Horvath (24), Bill Hamid (29)

DEF:
    DeAndre Yedlin (26), Matt Miazga (24), John Brooks (26), Fabian Johnson* (31), Brandon Vincent (25), Cameron Carter-Vickers (22), Matt Besler (32), Erik Palmer-Brown (22)

MID:
    Michael Bradley (32), Kellyn Acosta (24), Darlington Nagbe (29), Christian Pulisic (20), Paul Arriola (24), Weston McKennie (21), Danny Williams (30), Kenny Saief (25)

FOR:
    Bobby Wood (27), Jozy Altidore (29), Jordan Morris (25), Haji Wright (21)

I could envision a 4-2-3-1 line-up here, with Bradley and Acosta as the holding midfielders, Pulisic as a central attacking midfielder, and Nagbe and Arriola as nominal wingers.

* I put this next to Fabian Johnson's name because who knows if he will still be playing for the USMNT two years from now.

Winoman repped this.
  3. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Atlidore, maybe. Other than that I can't see what 'stability' means in the context of the sad sack USMNT and why it's warranted to bring back a cancer or two. Flush, rinse, repeat and start fresh. Last thing I want to show new talent is Bradley at 'work'.

jjmack and yurch10 repped this.
  4. Caulfield

Caulfield Member

May 31, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My expectation is to first win the Gold Cup and get to the Confederations Cup and everything between now and the Gold Cup should be getting ready for that tournament.

5. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We shouldn't be prepping for anything until the Hex, and this cycle should have driven that home. A lot of good that Gold Cup title does us now. Next should mean even less because it ensures we're already in the playoff.

There's all that much more of an impetus now to look with an eye and a half to the future with how old and ineffectual the managers allowed the roster to become. Literally 6 years behind on integration now. Have to prioritize better as a program.

6. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    Is there even going to be another Confederations Cup? I thought FIFA was thinking about cancelling it? And when would it be held, December 2021?

7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    We have numerous potential tourneys next cycle. Imo, we should use MLS/LigaMx players for the GC and the full team for the Copa.

8. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    My friend thinks we should sit out the Gold Cup and not host it. Focus on Copa instead and not let the other CONCACAF teams make money. Thoughts?

9. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    On 25 February 2015, this resulted in FIFA officially announcing that it would move the 2021 Confederations Cup to another country of the Asian Football Confederation, so it could still be held during the traditional window of June/July 2021, without interrupting domestic leagues. As compensation, another FIFA tournament, potentially the 2021 FIFA Club World Cup, would be held in Qatar in November/December 2021, as the test event for the 2022 World Cup.[1][2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_FIFA_Confederations_Cup

Marius Tresor and OGx3 repped this.
  10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Just use MLS/LigaMx players for the GC.

11. OGx3

OGx3 Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Davis, CA USA
    I sure hope 2021 ConfedCup happens, because we win the 2019 Gold Cup. Then onward to ConfedCup glory.

Apparently, Gold Cup >> Hex. Still SMH.

12. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds incredibly petty. Instead of being the rich kid who gets beat by his poorer neighbors and then decides to take his toys and go home, just perform better. Legally, CONCACAF would likely punish the USSF as well (maybe no qualification for the next World Cup), and deservedly so.

13. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Mock GC Team:

----------------------Zardes----Morris-------------
    ---Picault--Roldan--Gonzalez--Nagbe---Adams---
    ---------------Romney--Besler---Farrell----
    ----------------------------Guzan----

14. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I don't think a confederation can force a nation to participate and host a tournament.

15. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Pulisic and Zardes out there together! Would've been packing for Russia if this was the case against T&T.

16. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #16 mattjo, Oct 26, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    Legally, they could not force us to host I agree.

However, this is an official FIFA CONCACAF tournament. Article 12 Section 1(e) states that members have an obligation to take part in competitions organized by CONCACAF. Refusing to participate, especially for the reasons your friend is suggesting could lead to the suspension of our membership. As such, we would not be able to participate in a Copa or World Cup Qualifying. Further, CONCACAF's Caribbean association controls more votes than Central America and North America combined. Given that we are whining about losing and doing this implicitly to hurt other soccer associations in the confederation, those countries could bind together and recommend and impose a punishment.

Aside from the legality questions and political questions, I find that recommendation to be whining and full of self-entitlement.

17. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    He calls it gamesmanship. No different from hacking Pulisic, Salcedo elbows ignored, having bags of urine thrown at you or ******** chants which he takes personally given his sexual orientation. In all fairness, he has been saying this for years.

18. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

19. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just say use the leverage of the Gold Copa to bring them to Copa America instead. They could do the opposite of in 2007 when they brought their b-team to Copa America and A-team to Gold Copa. Gold Copa's meaning is de-emphasized between Confed Cup in the air and the U.S. missing the World Cup. Ideally they'd have a big comp of significance by that point.

20. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    As step 1 in planning:

Gold Cup:
    ---------------Ramirez----Morris
    --rowe---zardes---durkin---Delgado---adams
    ------------parker----Besler---Zimmerman
    ------------------Gk: Pick 'em
    Subs: Roldan, Carleton, Sapong, Altidore, Dwyer

Copa Brzil
    -------------------Sargent----Pulisic
    -----------McKennie--Parks---Williams
    ----------------------------EPB
    -----------Ream---CCV-----Miazga----Yedlin
    ---------------------GK:Hamid, Klinsmann
    Subs: Weah.

Looks like need to send some artillery to Brazil from States: Jozy, Sapong, or something like that. Also could be smart to send Roldan to test him against higher level physically in Brazil while leaving Delgado in States to boost soccer iq of gold cup team

largegarlic repped this.
  21. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I still kind of doubt we could field a competitive YA team AND a separate competitive domestic team, but we might not be that far off. Depth would obviously be a challenge.

22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Plus a president who is Sunil 2.0 would be an impediment.

Can't believe I didn't have Brooks in the lineup for Copa. Add Brooks obviously.

23. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Why wouldn't clubs release them though? Certainly not to play in two tournaments, but I doubt BVB would care whether Pulisic played in the GC or CA. Probably competing with the Gold Cup is bad for SUM; which is why they wouldn't do it really.

Sunil just seems like the kid that wants to take his football home. Poor baby.

24. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    You send the A team to Copa America and you let the B team play in the GC. At worst, you get a competitive playoff game for the A team in October. Your B team should be young guys looking to break in, like the Germany Confed Cup team last year.

A team:

F: Altidore, Wood, Sargent, Siebetchu
    M: Arriola, Amon, Gooch, Pulisic, McKennie, Parks, Adams, Williams
    D: Robinson, Yedlin, Miazga, Brooks, EPB, Glad, Moore, D. Acosta
    GK: Steffan, Horvath, Klinsman

B team

F: Ramirez, Wright, Sapong, Morris
    M: Roldan, K. Acosta, Delgado, Hyndman, Trapp, Green, Manneh, Tillmsn, Sands
    D: Farfan, Fossey, Redding, Parker, Zimmerman, Long, Lima, CCV
    GK: Hamid, Gonzales, Garces

The only wrinkle is that I would have the current #2 GK start all the Gold Cup games rather than sit on the bench in the CA.

jjmack repped this.
  25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    That really has nothing to do with Sunil of the USSF. MLS clubs don't want to release their best players mid-season if they don't have to. Back in the day when 3/4 of the league made the playoffs, they were only "OK" with it. Why would any of those MLS clubs you list there want to release those players if they don't have to? And by the way, that team gets utterly trashed in the Copa America. I'd love to see a backline of Long and Redding deal with Neymar or Messi or Suarez. [You're not taking two CBs from one team. Forget that anyway.] Good luck. Euro clubs usually only want to release players for one tournament. They're forced to release for Gold Cup. So other than the recent Copa America that was held on US soil, we've taken the best team to the Gold Cup. So does Mexico. Mexico has basically taken a U23 team to recent ones (except 2016), with the anticipated results. Now, I'm not against that at all. We can bring a U23 team and take our lumps. Its just that getting players is pretty challenging.

By the way, there could be changes to the format of the Gold Cup: