Gold Cup 2017

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by Gunner, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    Whelp. We've got a little break before the 5 stripes take the pitch so our footy fix is going to have to come from the CONCACAF Gold Cup for the next couple weeks. Appears we only have one player on the 23 man roster (Guzan) with another waiting in the wings on the 40 man should injuries strike (Garza). Roster appears MLS heavy:

Goalkeepers (3): Brad Guzan (Atlanta United), Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Sean Johnson (New York City FC)

Defenders (8): Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Omar Gonzalez (Pachuca), Matt Hedges (FC Dallas), Eric Lichaj (Nottingham Forest), Matt Miazga (Chelsea), Justin Morrow (Toronto FC), Jorge Villafaña (Santos Laguna), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

Midfielders (9): Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas), Paul Arriola (Club Tijuana), Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Dax McCarty (Chicago Fire), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders), Kelyn Rowe (New England Revolution), Kenny Saief (KAA Gent), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy)

Forwards (3): Juan Agudelo (New England Revolution), Dom Dwyer (Sporting Kansas City), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders)

Any thoughts on the USA's chances? Agree with the lineup considering the World Cup is only a year away? Are we missing a chance to have our Euro (better) players play together? Anyone heading up to Nashville this weekend for the Panama match?

Discuss

GunnerJacket repped this.
  2. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    - I'm not traveling for the event. regrettably. Still at a stage and finances where time with kids demands my attention, and rightfully so. And since the boy has been reluctant to embrace team sports of any kind...

- I think the US' chances are quite good. Much better than the Copa America and not simply because of the quality of competition. Arena is, based on all accounts, the best team strategist the USMNT has had since 1990. He's a quality motivator, crafty with his planning and roster, etc. Hardly perfect but considering his resources we're hard pressed to find better that would actually take the position. Given the players at his disposal, then, and how everyone is looking to rebound from the start to the WCQ campaign and I think the side is on a mission.

- I also think, given the state of affairs and timing right now this is actually a good thing having an overwhelmingly MLS-based roster. The players should be in prime fitness and quite familiar with one another as well as the US setting. They have a chance to make something for themselves and the league, especially those looking to make the roster for Russia '18. So it should provide an excellent proving ground for the boys who might otherwise be pushed deeper down the list if a Pulisic was involved.

3. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    Our boys are off to a good start. Guzan earned man of the match plaudits for his 7 save performance for the US. Some dandies in there as well. We should all be pretty excited if he can replicate this form in the 5 stripes.

Also, Romario Williams scored the opener for Jamaica today. While he's toiling down in Charleston its nice to see this kind of depth available should the need ever arise