Gold Cup 2017 - The Young & The Restless

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by appoo, Apr 20, 2017.

1. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I looked at the preliminary rosters for our competitors, and for pretty much every squad but Mexico it seems like countries are bringing there A-teams. Of course it remains to be seen if they cut A-team players when they pick their final 23.

Also, there's been some rumors the 2021 Confed Cup will be cancelled. It's not as popular as FIFA would like, European clubs hate it, and Qatar presents major logistical challenges.

That being said I agree we should try to win. Because I always think the US should try to win. You play to win the game.

2. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    [​IMG]

3. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am pretty sure that winning this Gold Cup does nothing to get us into the next Confed Cup. If we win then we force a playoff with Mexico if I remember the rules correctly.

4. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't remember correctly.

USA played Mexico for the right to go to the current Confederations Cup on the basis of the 2013 and 2015 Gold Cups.

The winner of this Gold Cup will play the winner of the 2019 Gold Cup in the CONCACAF Cup in a one off playoff for the right to play in the 2021 Confederations Cup.

Unless of course the same team wins twice.

Lookingforleftbacks and mike4066 repped this.
  5. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahh yes this is the first of the two that count...thanks

6. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been told in another thread the 2021 Confed Cup might not even take place as there's no way it would happen in Qatar in the summer.

7. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    For sure.

I would not cry if we don't qualify for Confed Cup.

8. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to win vs. Mexico at every opportunity. Period.

9. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is Dom Dwyer eligible for this tournament?

21st Century Pele repped this.
  10. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should be if he's a US Citizen, which I believe he became in March. He's been in the US for over 5 years so there's no need for a waiver, and he's not been capped at any youth level for England so there'd be no need for a one time switch. Assuming there's no issues obtaining a passport in time everything should be clear for him

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  11. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #137 Footsatt, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    FIFA have already announced that the 2021 Confed Cup will not be in Qatar, but in another Asian country. They have yet to announce what country. There is also rumors of it being canceled, but I am not sure if these rumors are coming from FIFA???

Edit: As of now FIFA has the 2021 CC listed on it's calendar to be played in Asia.

13. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My understanding is that the 2021 Confed Cup is good to go, anything beyond that though is in serious doubt

14. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    I was about to get really fired up until I remembered they moved the 2022 WC to November or something. So then I just got regular mad.

mike4066 repped this.
  15. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Make the confed cup U23 tournament. Make the Olympics the U20 tournament. The Olympic year would also feature Copa America and Euros.

Just an idle thought. Having top stars play a full season at top level, plus tail end quali's for WC followed by a confed cup is too much the year before WC.

16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  17. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Matt Doyle on right back for Gold Cup roster

"Lichaj should already have 50 USMNT caps, but oh well. If he plays as well as he's capable of this summer, then the US no longer have depth issues behind DeAndre Yedlin.

Polster has been the best under-25 American right back in MLS this year, and that's not just a "by default" award. The Fire are 5-0-1 with a +8 goal differential since he entered the lineup, and while there are correlation/causality issues to unpack there, it's not entirely coincidental that they've been so good lately."

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/06/19/armchair-analyst-predicting-usmnts-23-man-gold-cup-roster

Actually, another reason is that Matt Polster gets shifted to mid to protect leads with Conner coming in at right back - Conner is another young rookie who has been doing well. Just last week end they tried closing out the game against Revs without moving Polster into the middle and it's a miracle Revs didn't score the tying goal.

18. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #143 Excellency, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    As long s as Doyle is into evaluating what a player actually does for a team, he may have noticed that Toronto went 1 1 4 in their first six games before putting Delgado in the starting lineup against Chicago on April 21. With Delgado in the starting lineup they went on to win 5 straight before drawing away against RedBulls . Subsequently they went 2 1 1 with the sole loss coming with Delgado on the bench having been red carded in the 5-0 win against Columbus.

They are 1W 2L 4D with Delgado not starting and 7W 0L 2D with Delgado starting.

19. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just win the 2018 WC and we won't need to win the Gold Cup for a ticket to the 2021 Confederation Cup. :whistling:

20. 21st Century Pele

Apr 16, 2014
    Works for me. Donovan to Adu for the win.

21. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    O'Doyle rules, but Doyle not so much.

In all seriousness, the roster overall is solid, but that's a tone def suggestion that Roldan be a backup defensive mid to McCarty for the Gold Cup. That's winning us less games now and later, a recipe for getting undressed. Roldan should also play both positions. Hell, he can spell at right back (we don't need 4 fb's w/ all the versatile players). Roldan should be starting most games.

22. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
  23. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great news about Saief!

The players I'm most interested in seeing at the Gold Cup are:

Hedges -- backup CB who can organize is still needed. Hedges entering his prime.
    Lichaj -- backup RB behind Yedlin needed. Lichaj also in prime.
    McCarty -- At least 1 pure DM would improve a full roster. Is this vet the guy?
    Roldan -- another 2-way, young CM would help.
    Dwyer -- you can't have enough strikers and Dwyer is different than others in the US pool.
    Sapong -- an obvious prime age backup for Jozy, if he can produce.
    Saief -- another starter or reliable sub along the left flank is needed.

I'm curious about other players, too. Might Acosta and Nagbe be given key starting roles for the B-team and can they lead a team? Is Besler still in the plans? Does Morrow have any chance? How much has Miazga learned after a year abroad? Can Agulelo contribute? But these are lesser questions for me.

Those first 7 names I listed all have, in my mind, a serious shot at the 23-man Cup roster next year, have attributes the US could use, and play roles in which there are still openings. I'm quite looking forward to the Gold Cup.

24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Gold Cup even worth playing every two years these days? It's intrusive on MLS, MX and the US are putting out weakened teams and the final stages will be overshadowed by the ICC tournament. If a CONMEBOL/CONCACAF tournament is instituted every 4 years maybe the GC should be switched to every 4 years. (It could be used as a WC qualifying tournament).

25. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    So we should cancel our federation's every other year championship/cash-grab because more people care about the Euro pre-season/cash-grab?!?

Having the GC every two years is not really important for us but it helps aspiring minnows like Panama or Canada. UEFA is basically eliminating friendlies. We have to find a way to get enough games to stay sharp and long camps seem like a decent opportunity.

Magikfute, deuteronomy, Winoman and 3 others repped this.