Gold Cup 2017 - The Young & The Restless

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by appoo, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good, though I wonder why he was on the initial 40 in the first place.

3. Caulfield

Caulfield Member

May 31, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. Also expect Hedges to have a great tournament and I'd like to see a good bit of Miazga.

Excellency repped this.
  4. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Saief is listed as a midfielder but I'd like to see if he can play LB. He could certainly play the Beasley position in the 5-4-1/3-4-3 we used against Mexico. Between Nagbe, Johnson, and Saief; we have incredible depth in left midfield.

I think Saief is the most interesting name on the roster and could be the closest to the WC roster than any of the players listed that were not involved in the recent WCQs. If he can play LB; he could start our first game in the World Cup.

But knowing FIFA, the switch won't happen for months and we won't see him on the field until next March.

Rahbiefowlah and mike4066 repped this.
  5. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arena expecting 'very few' first team regulars to join USMNT for Gold Cup

http://sbisoccer.com/2017/06/arena-expecting-very-few-first-team-regulars-to-join-usmnt-for-gold-cup

[​IMG]

“Almost none. Very few,” Arena told SI. “Maybe [Omar] González and [Matt] Besler. Maybe [Clint] Dempsey and [Jozy] Altidore at some point. [Darlington] Nagbe is a possibility.

“I have to see in the next couple weeks how everyone is doing. We’re pretty sure [Brad] Guzan is coming in. [Tim] Howard can come in after the group stage. So we’ll have to name at least two other goalkeepers.”

One of those goalkeepers that could join the roster is Jesse Gonzalez, who is reportedly getting closer to finalizing a one-time switch to the USMNT.

Arena went on to say that it is doubtful that Christian Pulisic joins the squad, despite being named to the 40-man preliminary roster. The U.S. must select an initial 23-man squad to start the tournament and each team is allowed six player swaps heading into the knockout rounds.

“It’s bad timing for [the Gold Cup], because the guys in Europe have gone through this long club season and now the World Cup qualifiers,” Arena said. “They need a break. They have three weeks off, and asking them to come in for Gold Cup makes no sense. It would take three weeks to get them ready.”

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  6. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Props to Bruce for leaving Pulisic and other Euros out of his GC plans.

Getting 3 weeks rest and a full preseason with their clubs is more important heading into a WC season than participating in a B team GC.

I don't know if he considers Acosta a regular yet but I would like to see him get a string of starts thru the GC.

7. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #107 Excellency, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    I come up with a 23 that looks like this:

--------------------------Morris(McNamara)------Agudelo(Dwyer, Jozy)-----Zardes

---------------Polster(Garza)----------Bradley(Dax)--------------Roldan----------Arriola(Zusi)

----------------------------Besler(Morrow)-------------Hedges(Gonzo)--------------Miazga

---------------------------------------------------------Gk's:: Guzan, Bendik, Jesse

Against Ghana:

First Half: (I count 7 goal scorers)
    ----------------Agudelo
    ------------morris------zardes
    ------Roldan-----Dax(10)-------polster*
    --morrow---Besler----hedges---arriola*
    ----------------------gk: Guzan

*switch positions after 25'

second half

-----------------------McNamara------Dwyer---

--Garza------Roldan-----------Dax-------Zardes(10)-----polster(Zusi 70')

----------Morrow----------Hedges(Gonzo 70')--------Miazga-----
    ------------------------------GK: Bendik

We give Roldan Dax and Polster the full 90 in different lineups/formations because we need to test out mids. Everybody gets minutes except .........Jesse?

8. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In fairness to FIFA they've been pretty good about this recently for us. Both Johannson and Green were approved within a few weeks, and they didn't have to miss any matches. Zelalem got his waiver pretty quickly too

9. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
  10. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's good news he's openly acknowledging he won't be calling in a-teamers, even though it's not exactly good for selling tickets. It puts as serious long-term fans at ease.

I am not exactly keen on seeing the names Brad Guzan and Omar Gonzalez mentioned.

Maybe Guzan will be fine if he's just a mentor. But he shouldn't be stealing games from Hamid (stay healthy) or Jesse Gonzalez (Melia also should be there, he's been the best keeper in MLS by a mile per expected goals saved). It's time to relegate Guzan to Marcus Hahnemann status. And Hahnemann was a better keeper than him. I'd take him right now as safety valve. Incidentally, I'd have brought Horvath. I'm not fearful of him losing his spot for Brugge when he just took it at the end of last season, they signed him to start, and he's high potential. I'd like to see what he could do in a red, white, and blue shirt.

Omar Gonzalez is an eye-sore on that roster because we know what he can do and we have major depth at cb that needs to be integrated. They also don't generally complement Gonzalez. First priority is Hedges. Then Miazga needs a couple games. And I don't think they should play together much as big guys not overly adept on the ball. Next to them I'd like to a smaller player who is more of an organizer, adept with his feet, while being a veteran to provide them guidance. Spector-Miazga, Besler-Hedges (or Besler-Miazga-Hedges in the unwelcome Matts back 3). People gripe about Spector even being on the roster. He's playing well, versatile, hardly ancient for a cb when he'll be 32 in Russia, and we ideally want a vet as part of the cb pairing. Besler can get reintegrated. He should be considered a 1st teamer on form and nt play.

Roldan to me is top priority on this roster. The man who some will argue, and it can be supported by advanced stats, has been the best player on the reigning MLS Cup champs which is rich w/ internationals besides him. Aside from the around the box stuff, I don't seem to value what Acosta brings to the table like most others seem to. I thought he was merely adequate against Mexico, not closing down to win the ball, and bringing the ball up off the dribble; leading to a possession # that was probably 10% lower against Mexico than it should have been. Also was one of the biggest culprits on the goal. Maybe that he was adequate in his starting cm debut at Mexico was what drew praise. I don't know. But just evaluating him against the normal U.S. starter, I didn't see it. I thought he was mediocre. Nevertheless, he should get more opportunities here. I'm not afraid of info that goes against what I originally thought. Roldan and Acosta hypothetically could play together in a double-pivot. More intriguing to me would be tinkering with Acosta underneath a target striker.

Using Saief as part of a group of 3 which constitutes incredible depth at left midfield, before he's even done anything, and when the other two guys are Nagbe and Johnson, who may not be natural there, plus when Johnson has been so ineffectual lately, is a reach. But I hope he's on the roster and gets a shot, like everyone who shows something for their club should. We'll see. But I think the attacking mid spot, both wing and center, to be the biggest weakness on this roster. I'm worried about creation from the wing, and no Feilhaber or Kljestan to ensure better functionality against inferior sides who are bunkering was a big mistake, IMO. Who broke down Jamaica at January camp ultimately?

This could be a competition where we get a lot of pretty possession football and learn something about the back half of players, but not so much the front. If Morris is there it should be to learn how to use his left in practice. He should be allowed to use nothing but his left foot until it's respectable and he's confident in it. Then he could play. Regardless, he's questionable against a bunker, although going back to that game against Jamaica, he is the one who scored.

OGx3 and edcrocker repped this.
  11. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So then why was his name on the priliminary list? It's a waste of a spot if you ask me...

12. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are 40 spots. Only 23 are picked. If he didn't put Pulisic on, whoever would have been added probably wouldn't have been in his plans.

Obviously on some level he considered bringing Pulisic. Most of the Euro regulars he left off all together - Cameron, Johnson, Brooks, etc. So I think he considered it a little bit. I can see why. He probably was thinking he's our best chance to win, and also that it would be good to see how he'd do in a tournament setting. But now Pulisic is gonna have a new coach at Dortmund, so he would probably be better served getting a full preseason.

13. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I thought it was possible Tuchel would prefer Pulisic play in Gold Cup, after a discussion with Arena on how he would be used. That went out the window when Tuchel was dismissed.

14. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It could be Arena's using this a chip for when he does need him. Showing he's a good guy by not playing him as a favor to Dortmund even though he could.

15. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    #115 schrutebuck, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    With Pulisic unlikely, Miazga is now the biggest question mark. IMO, Arena should call in Miazga if he remains in club limbo with Chelsea or if he returns on loan to Vitesse, because I think Miazga has shown enough for Vitesse to miss a few weeks in July*. If Miazga signs or goes on loan to a new club, however, then I think Miazga should prioritize his club duties.

Hedges and Miazga would form my ideal center back partnership for at least 2 first round matches, with Birnbaum and Spector rotated in as appropriate.

*Similarly, Lichaj has shown enough for Nottingham Forest to miss a few weeks in July.

rlrcpa repped this.
  16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    American Soccer Now lets you make a 23 man roster with 4 lines of 5 players each plus 3 gk's
    http://americansoccernow.com/roster/4/rosters/new
    Here is mine
    [​IMG]

looks like we cant insert the pics

--------miazga---gonzo---hedges---beser---morrow

--------polster--Roldan--Bradley--dax------Garza

--------arriola----trapp----zardes--McNamara--zusi

--------morris---Altidore---dwyer--agudelo--pulisic

would have preferred Delgado over Trapp as an 8 mid but you cant get everything in life. I think the rest are worthy competitotrs.

17. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #117 Excellency, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    Dortmund schedule
    http://www.bvb.de/eng/News/Overview/Overview-of-all-pre-season-friendly-matches

07.07.17 Start training BVB training ground Germany
    13.07.17 to 19.07.17 Asia tour Japan/China
    26.07.17 to 02.08.17 Training camp in Bad Ragaz Switzerland

Better for Dortmund and Pulisic to play in Gold Cup or fly to Germany then Asia?

Gold Cup Group B (USA) play July 8, 12 & 15
    Quarter finals July 19 & 20
    Semi's July 22 & 23
    Final July

I'm quite certain ticket sales would explode with Pulisic on the roster for Gold Cup.

18. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a new coach at Dortmund, and you never know how a new coach will rate the players he inherits. If Pulisic goes to the Gold Cup, he'll miss out on several weeks of training with Dortmund and lose a chance to make a good first impression with the new coach. With Reus out, there's a real opportunity for Pulisic to cement a central attacking role for Dortmund.

On the other hand, sometimes players who go to these summer tournaments get hurt, or they need time off afterwards and then show up late to preseason out of shape. I recall Brooks losing his starting job with Hertha for a while due to reasons like that.

19. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You argue one side and that's fine.

We don't know exactly how the Dortmund front office/new manager views Pulisic as an asset or from the point of view of what will aid in his development. It would be up to Arena to manage the situation. I could see Arena discussing how Pulisic would be used in Gold cup and throw in the incentive of leaving him off the Honduras roster if he plays in the Gold Cup.

Bearing in mind the incentive, I would argue that a trip to Far East with all its problems would do less for Pulisic's development and value to Dortmund than some competitive games in the Gold Cup. No doubt, the experience of playing against Mexico - whose defense seems to have garnered interest in Europe - has given the young Christian a valuable lesson.

In the Gold Cup he might face the highly ranked Mexico or Costa Rica who didn't do too badly at the last WC. Mntime, his putative rivals at Dortmund will be in Japan playing in a dog and pony show.

I don't think the situation is as clear as some think. Which is why Arena:cool: had him in his 40?

20. phillyfan593

phillyfan593 Member

Jul 20, 2011
    I think it's very important for the USA team to win this Gold Cup. There are many reasons why. First off, they have to make the next confederations cup. It's a nice advantage to play in before the World Cup. Also, Mexico and other nations usually bring an average team in for this. This is the one to win. Were in an easy group therefore we should get an easy quarter finals match up. This tournament shouldn't start for us until the semi finals. Take care of business boys!!!

21. PhillyandBCEagles

Jul 9, 2012
    NC
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Could be private conversations between Bruce, Pulisic, and Bosz about this too. Based on the schedule it looks like he could participate in the Asia tour, come in for the knockout stage (or even just the SF/final), then return to Dortmund only missing a week or so of the training camp in Switzerland. Could well be a decision Bruce makes on the fly based on how secure Christian's spot looks a few games into the Asia tour.

22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    We will have the lumber for this job. Hedges, Gonzo, Besler,Roldan, Dax, Polster. These are all tenacious guys. Of course we need goals which brings me back to Pulisic.

I was hoping US Soccer could get more youth involved and with no real striker playing in Europe, Pulsic at Bundesliga side Dortmund is the obvious star power. I'm betting a lot more people watch Dortmund in the US than before Pulisic began playing there regularly. Next thing you know my neighbors will all be driving Audi's :rolleyes:

23. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I don't like the long flight to Asia with all the other travel thrown in. Presumably Dortmund still has its fitness people on board. Main thing is to give Pulisic enough off time so he doesn't burn out.

Klinsmann was always about the German boys going all out on the team so he could maintain his silly opinions about US not being serious about soccer yada yada. This meant Fabian had to play through a complicated muscle problem, Brooks always had to show and play every game. Of course the people around here got suckered into the whole Klinsi scam. "Arena isn't playing any of the Denver starters on 2 days rest? Insane. We have to have our best players against Mexico so Brooks just has to suck it up". That was the kind of attitude that had us almost not qualifying as trust began to deteriorate and frustration grew.

There's a new sheriff in town and I don't think the BL managers have to worry about players being abused like they were under Klinsmann.

24. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see no point in Pulisic playing in Asia, jumping on a plane and flying to either Glendale or Philly, getting dropped right into some games, making the Final in Santa Clara, then jetting off to Switzerland.

He just played Pulisic 270 mins across a 9 day span. I don't mind a reliance on the kid, he's hands down our best, but it's not needed and shouldn't be needed for a B team GC.

Mr Martin repped this.
  25. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    On the latter point: 270 m over 9 days was needed for qualification. We are at 90% for qualifying at this point. HIs play and training in the Gold Cup cycle would be seriously constricted. I see it simply as a building exercise. I'm not worried about him losing his place in Dortmund. I think the GC experience will likely make him more savy and introduce him to some new styles of play.

What's the new guy at Dortmund like anyway? I don't even know his name.