Gold Cup 2017: Curaçao vs Mexico; July 16, 2017

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by Philip J. Fry, Jul 14, 2017.

1. ipaman

ipaman Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    HOUSTON, TX
    This is not true,

Everyone realize this is a mickey mouse tournament with tons of shitty football being played. You have pre-season friendlies selling more tickets than this official tournament. Fans and sponsors/media realize it's a disaster. The sponsors and media will start spending their time and money elsewhere just like the fans already have.

Also, the FMF has dipped into the US Mexicans fans well too much that's it's running dry. US Mexico fans are glutted and jaded and the other NTs don't really have that many fans.

2. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Most fans aren't as gullible anymore unless they take the team to small markets where they don't go often. it's getting hard to sell those games with out the "stars"

ipaman repped this.
  3. Puro_Sinaloa

Puro_Sinaloa Member+

Dec 3, 2005
    They bring shitty teams and still sell out

4. ipaman

ipaman Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    HOUSTON, TX
    You must not have been watching because just recently, Houston, San Diego, San Antonio, none of them were close to selling out. The games have been around 40k to 50k attendance in stadiums that have 70k to 80k capacity. Several years ago those stadiums would have sold out. btw..., USA NT is even worse, they barely getting 20K. I'm telling you people are over it especially with a Gold Cup every damn summer. It will keep getting worse if they don't go back to every 4 years.

5. Puro_Sinaloa

Puro_Sinaloa Member+

Dec 3, 2005
    Bro, that's still a lot of people to go watch a bunch of scrubs.

6. ipaman

ipaman Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    HOUSTON, TX
    yea but trending downward. if Mexico games in US were a stock, would be SELL, SELL, SELL!!

megadeath repped this.
  7. Athlone

Athlone Member+

Feb 2, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Guys, I'm sorry, but what I'm saying here is the cold hard truth: the Gold Cup is not dying. It isn't going anywhere barring the institution of a much bigger, intercontinental tournament. Anyone who understood the political and financial realities of the region would be able to see this.

They were able to sell out Red Bull Arena for a French Guiana-Canada game. 23,000 people turned up to watch Americans take on Martinique. 44,000 folks showed up just to see your team stomp on Curacao. They got 1.3 Million people to watch Curacao play Jamaica on television. That's CURACAO vs. JAMAICA. 1.3 MILLION.

The business case for the Gold Cup is simply too strong unless you have another tournament to replace it (more on that later). The competition draws fans and viewers on TV. It makes money for CONCACAF (tens of millions of dollars) and federations who participate. They have no incentive to shut down the tournament when they know they can use it to get a million people to watch a dutch colony most folks in North America have ever heard of take on a larger Caribbean island with no real strong pedigree in world football. That's leaving cash on the table, and they're not going to do that.

Politically, the Gold Cup is absolutely essential. Yes, Mexico could give a damn about the Gold Cup, but most countries in this region are not Mexico. For most countries in this region, the Gold Cup is their World Cup. It's as far as they'll go, and its a huge benefit to them financially and in terms of exposure. Mexico won't care if a Gold Cup disappeared, but what I am trying to impress upon you is the fact that 38 or so nations in CONCACAF who aren't anywhere near Mexico's level are DEFINITELY going to care. That costs them money and exposure, as well as valuable tournament time they'd otherwise never get. That matters, because they vote. Good luck getting them to support scrapping one Gold Cup absent any replacement. Yeah, I'm sure Mexico will find something fun to do during those years that will now be free absent the second Gold Cup, but Jamaica? Martinique? Nicaragua? Different story.

The Gold Cup isnt going to four years. It doesn't make any political or economic sense to shut down the second Gold Cup.

Now, here is my exception - I am now going to inform you of the one and ONLY scenario in which you can be sure that the Gold Cup will become a four year tournament: the Copa Panamerica.

Recent proposals call for a Copa Centenario-style tournament to be held every four years, replacing one of the Gold Cups and aligning with the Euros. It would feature all of CONMEBOL and most of CONCACAF's elite. It would mint money and draw viewers at a rate the Gold Cup could only dream of.
    If this tournament comes to pass then, by all means, say goodbye to the second Gold Cup. The Copa Panamerica will slide right in and mint more money more effectively than anything else CONCACAF has while drawing more viewers as well and quieting any tension in the region.

Beyond that, there will be no change so, for now, learn to love the second Gold Cup.

8. ipaman

ipaman Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    HOUSTON, TX
    If everything you are saying is true (I don't think it is) then the Gold Cup could survive without Mexico and also could survive another host besides the US. Of course we all know the truth that without Mexico the Gold Cup would die and realistically there are only a few countries that could host. Also the Gold Cup hasn't grown at all, only Mexico NT has grown. The Gold Cup "growth" & "popularity" is an invention, a falsehood derived as a causality of Mexico's popularity. That's where corrupt concacaf leadership has failed since forever. They never built a serious grass roots confederation that is wholly respected and reliant. They just used Mexico to make money for themselves. Bottom line, if your confederation tournament is reliant on one team then your confederation is a joke and it's okay to admit that it is.

Just to clarify your statement, French Guiana vs Canada was not a sellout, Costa Rica vs Honduras was. There might have been 200 people in the stadium during the FG vs Canada match. Let's not spread fake news and make silly claims like that.

megadeath repped this.
  9. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    And I say to hell with the rest of CONCACAF because without México this confederation is nothing!

ipaman, megadeath and Colima24 repped this.
  10. megadeath

megadeath Member+

Oct 10, 2009
    No Mex = dead gold cup

ipaman repped this.
  11. Athlone

Athlone Member+

Feb 2, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    That's completely beside the point. I'm telling you why the Gold Cup isn't going anywhere: it makes money and draws fans in person and on television. It's a net winner for the region. There's no incentive to eliminate it unless it is replaced with a bigger tournament (which it might be).

Mexico NT has grown. So has the USMNT. They are clearly the drivers of most revenue in the Gold Cup and CONCACAF more broadly. We all know this. The Gold Cup is still not going anywhere as long as it can get a million people to watch Curacao play Jamaica and another million to watch El Tri curbstomp El Salvador. That's the reality that's not being acknowledged by you guys.

Could the Gold Cup survive without Mexico? Probably not as we know it - it would have to downsize significantly (smaller stadiums, smaller geographic regions, less travel) and profitability would decline. It could persist and make money, but only on a much smaller scale.

But that's an irrelevant point, because the Gold Cup doesn't actually need to survive without Mexico. Mexico has nothing to gain from the elimination of the second Gold Cup and no real incentive to boycott it. The truth is that you and certain other fans hate the biennial Gold Cup much more than FMF does. For FMF, Univision, and all the other relevant stakeholders, this extra Gold Cup is another opportunity to get minutes for fringe/C-team guys and earn a few extra millions. They're not bothered by the chance to mint money (revenue they'd probably not earn otherwise) in an extra tournament with a bunch of backups. The biennial Gold Cup is, at worst, a net neutral to them. It's existence costs them nothing and earns them millions.

If you want to call the confederation a joke because of the outsized contribution of El Tri and the USMNT, be my guest. That doesn't change the point, which is that the biennial Gold Cup isn't going anywhere barring the rise of a much bigger tournament. There's no other incentive (political or economic) to eliminate it, even for FMF or USMNT.

Well, that's just indecent and short-sighted. We're all in this together at the end of the day, and this is a two way street. FIFA is a democracy. It helps to have allies.

Of course, maybe you're thinking that it'd be better to trade up for new allies in CONMEBOL. I get the motive for the idea and I wouldn't oppose it, but remember that it's easier said than done.

12. ipaman

ipaman Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    HOUSTON, TX
    This will be my last comment, time to move on but.... You act like running a Gold Cup cost nothing when I fact it costs millions to organize & run. The old adage, spend money to make money applies here. Problem is, it cost as much as ever to run this tournament while at the same time profit margins are shrinking. Every year model doesn't work for folk$ involved especially if Mexico crashes out early. I wish they did because it wouldn't really make a difference for the NT but it would absolutely destroy the Gold Cup which would be amazing. I would love for the sponsors and networks to watch/air a CR vs PAN final while remembering how much money they spent LOL!!!

13. megadeath

megadeath Member+

Oct 10, 2009
    Crashing out of this gold cup would not be such a bad thing. The earlier the better. Rooting for Honduras. Lol.

ipaman repped this.
  14. ipaman

ipaman Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    HOUSTON, TX
    I'll never root against Mexico but if they lose to Honduras I won't even bat an eye. If fact, as I mentioned I'll probably be happy because of what it means for the Gold Cup. Basically what I'm saying, I can't lose!

LGRod repped this.
  15. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    I don't get how you people can be all like "fvck CONCACAF and the Gold Cup " but then expect Jamaica to play offensively at their expense to benefit the Gold cup , Mexico (which is, let's be real, the real reason) and CONCACAF

thedragonrik58 and Athlone repped this.
  16. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    some of you all will not bat an eye but the media will go for the kill on the team and the coaches.

17. Athlone

Athlone Member+

Feb 2, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    I'm not acting like the Gold Cup costs nothing.

I am acting like the Gold Cup makes substantially more money than it costs and is, on the balance, a highly profitable venture. I'm acting like an off-year, pre-WC Gold Cup (like this 2017 edition, with all the C and B teams) is far more profitable for CONCACAF than nothing. I'm also acting like there's no real danger of that changing any time soon.

Actually, I'm not acting at all - I'm knowing. These are observable facts. The data is there. There's no logical basis for a conclusion to the contrary. The Gold Cup makes millions for the region even in off-years like 2017. It draws millions of viewers to games who otherwise would not be watching, even in off-years like this one (again: over 1.3 million people on FS1 + Univision to watch CURACAO take on JAMAICA). You're right to say that a Gold Cup every summer would be unreasonable, but we don't have a Gold Cup every year - we have one every 2 years. Politically, having a Gold Cup every 2 years is so valuable to 38 of the 41 nations in CONCACAF that it would be political suicide to make it quadrennial absent a fitting replacement.

Those are facts, man. The Gold Cup is a cash cow and will be radioactive to anyone who tries to touch it without a plan to offer something better. You're never going to get a scenario where we go to quadrennial Gold Cups and have these summers free of tournaments. There's zero political or financial incentive to do that, even for FMF who need the Gold Cup less than arguably anyone else in CONCACAF.

If you want to see an end to the second Gold Cup, then you've got exactly one way to make that happen: bring on a bigger, better tournament to replace it. Your only hope is the billion dollar Copa Panamerica coming in, replacing one GC, and leaving us with a tournament every 2 years (Copa Panamerica 2020, for example, followed by Gold Cup 2022, etc).
    I want the Copa Panamerica badly (more exciting than the GC for sure), so I think this is one thing we could actually agree on. It's also the only way you get what you want.

Until the football gods deliver us our chosen tournament, get ready for GC 2019. The GC is what we have, and that's not changing yet.

In the meanwhile, let us pray for Copa Panamerica. At the end of the day, we're all on the same side here and we want the same thing. We just may have to wait a while to get it.

18. ipaman

ipaman Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    HOUSTON, TX
    because watching that horseshit makes eyes bleed which leads to people not watching, which leads to sons and fathers not watching the games together, they start to grow apart, kid resents and hates his dad, dad is confused, causes family problems and problems with mother/wife, divorce, mom gets full custody due to divorce war on fathers, dad loses family and he's broke because of child support, starts drinking, becomes alcoholic, life is a dead end so he decides just to end it....

do you understand now what we're dealing with?! if we don't end the gold cup peoples lives are in danger!!!

Hugo Sanchez and megadeath repped this.