Gold Cup 2011

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by theworm2345, Mar 8, 2011.

1. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Groups:
    1:
    Costa Rica
    Mexico
    El Salvador
    Cuba

2:
    Jamaica
    Grenada
    Honduras
    Guatemala

3:
    Panama
    Guadeloupe
    USA
    Canada

Tough group for Cuba, not bad at all for Guadeloupe, and tough but doable for Jamaica (and Grenada, though less doable for them, it must be said unfortunately...but you never know).

2. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Some provisional squads have started to come out, though none from the Caribbean. Its generally like 30 days in advance you are supposed to submit your provisional squad and the competition is now 30 days away.

Some players I have seen mentioned as having got call ups are Grenada's Danny Facey (Delroy's brother), Dave Cyrus, and Bradley Bubb. Bubb stated on his Twitter that Delroy got called up (which wouldn't be in doubt, although he is injured) as well as Craig Rocastle. He also said Anthony Straker from Aldershot got called up, which is interesting as he was called up by Barbados for a World Cup Qualifier before, though he didn't play. Finally he mentioned "a guy from Wycombe" which I assume is Leon Johnson who was mentioned in a press release by the GFA. Not sure how official any of this is but I'd guess it can be taken seriously.

I read an interview with Guadeloupe's Stephane Auvray saying he will play (no surprise) and that Loic Loval could be included as well.

3. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
    bubb is right about Anthony Straker from Aldershot getting called up.... good to see GFA is learning from that embarrassing 09 gold cup and are working on improving the defense. with shalrie joseph being a defensive midfielder,Anthony Straker is another Defender and leon johnson from wycombe is also another experienced defender. with 2 MLS experience midfielders in shalrie joseph & craig rocastle coming into the midfield this is a different squad from midfield down to the defense. with all these changes the real question here is can these new players gel and play as team. it will be interesting to see what style this team plays seeing that its now mostly uk base with a English coach.

Anthony Straker has been called up to join the Grenada national squad for the forthcoming 2011 CONCACAF GOLD CUP being held in the USA next month. Subscribers to the SMS service were provided with this information first.

[​IMG]

The 22 year old has worked his way back into the first team in recent weeks being an ever present since his return from a loan spell at Wycombe Wanderers where he made four appearances. The Ealing born player was previously selected to play for Barbados but never made an appearance.
    Speaking to Premium Shots Anthony said, "This is a great opportunity for me. I was called up to play for Barbados a few years ago but was never selected. I will gain from this experience and we will be playing in some great stadiums including at LA Galaxy too.
    "I know a few of the boys who have been selected which is good. I always want to be playing football and have really enjoyed it at Aldershot since returning from my loan spell at Wycombe Wanderers. It is all positive at the moment and that is pleasing."

Manager Dean Holdsworth added, "Anthony deserves this opportunity and I am delighted for him. He has finished the season really well and importantly he enjoys his football too.
    "He is a tremendous trainer and always has a smile on his face. He has shown his qualities and conducts himself in an excellent manner. I am really pleased for him"
    Grenada are in Group B in the 12 team competition along with Honduras, Guatemala and Jamiaca.

4. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  5. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    why no Jason Roberts.

6. Gwadaboyz 72

Gwadaboyz 72 Member

Jun 27, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    You're right! Stephane Auvray no problem! Richard Socrier (AC Ajaccio in France) no problem! Loïc Loval could be included, yes! Any way you will know at the end of this month because Guadeloupe roster will normally be published on May 29th.

7. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    He is retired from international football
    Alright thanks for the info.

8. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
  9. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Why is that? I don't know what the state of his recovery from his shoulder injury is, but I would say Facey brings more to the team than does Bubb, especially if he has Bain playing off of him. He's not an out and out scorer like Bubb but he brings a lot to a team, just ask Notts County or Lincoln City fans. Facey has played on the wing too (as he and Bubb both did in the Caribbean Cup) so they could both play. I'm not trying to knock Bubb though as I know he is talented and should get a chance as well.

I don't know how Leon Johnson will fit in with Marshall and Langaigne being the stalwarts in the center of defense, though I think Langaigne can play at full back too.

Maybe the line up would be:

Baptiste/Noel in goal. Langaigne/Phillip, Johnson, Marshall, and Cyrus in defense. Any four of Joseph, either Modeste, Rocastle, Charles, Rennie, and either Bubb of Facey in midfield. Bain and either Facey of Bubb up front.

Straker can play either full back or winger so he'd fit in as well, depending on what is needed in that particular match.

Whatever way they do go things are looking up.

10. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
    for the simple fact that facey hasn't played competitive football in almost 3 months ...i think ricky might get the start over rennie in the midfield and patrick modeste will get start over Langaigne in defense. patrick modeste only played mild filed in that game against Jamaica because the wanted him to close down the passing lanes of the jamicans but with now that Joseph is there he should be back in his natural position which is defense.. facey is a powerful player but he's slow...bubb is more of a speedy foward....looking at the game against Trinidad bubb had the opportunity to score at least 3 goals in that game just off his speed.

the announcer said facey but that was bubb that actually missed
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9FZMcwQEoM"]YouTube - Grenada vs Trinidad and Tobago - Group H - Digicel Caribbean Cup 2010[/ame]

i think the starting line up will be

Baptiste

Johnson, cyrus, P modeste, A modeste

Joseph, Rocastle, straker, Charles

bubb bain

11. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Yeah but Facey is much bigger and is great for other strikers to play off of. At Notts County, Lee Hughes said his Facey was his best striker partner to play with. Furthermore, Facey has played at the highest level (Premier League), however briefly, while Bubb has (so far) only played up to the Conference South. Finally, if you look at how Lincoln did when Facey was in the team and captaining the side compared to when he was not, it is pretty stunning. There is the case that Bubb is younger and faster which is true, as is the fact that Facey has been injured and hasn't played in two months. However, he was not completely fit for the Caribbean Cup either and did a good job. Bubb does also get a few assists as well as far as I can tell though. I think Facey and Bubb would actually be a great combination of front but I just don't think you can drop the talisman Bain, even if he hasn't played for his club so far.

That is solid but, sad as it is to say, I think the Modestes are getting too old to play at the back and would be better options in midfield. Even three years ago in the Final in 2008 against Jamaica Anthony was having trouble dealing with Luton Shelton's pace (as many defenders do). Well when they have the likes of Shelton, Dane Richards, Omar Daley, Chris Humphrey, Jermaine Johnson, etc. it could get even tougher. If they were to play (and they should, at least some, as they still have the ability) I'd say it would be as subs for Joseph and Rocastle in the midfield, or maybe starting in their place should one get injured.

12. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
    i agree with the modeste brothers being to old to still be a major part of the defense. they can replace them with Johnson and straker since straker can play left back..

they can go with

Johnson, Marshall, cyrus & straker

Joseph, Rocastle, neckles/facey, Charles

bubb, bain

13. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
    theworm2345 i think the GFA read your post on here,they moved p modeste up to midfield

here's the official squad ( they added made a lot of changes to the squad)

Grenada Football Association announces men’s roster for Gold Cup Tournament [​IMG] [​IMG] ST GEORGE’S, Grenada, May 19, 2011 - Grenada’s roster for next month’s Gold Cup Tournament in the United States was announced Thursday by the Grenada Football Association.
    [​IMG]
    The team has an interesting combination of experience and new youthful talent. There are players like Anthony Modeste, Patrick Modeste and Ricky Charles who have been a constant presence in the national team for well over a decade. They have kept themselves in great condition and are well respected in the Caribbean, and played in a variety of regional pro leagues.
    The Spice Boyz are also welcoming back Major League Soccer’s and New England Revolution captain Shalrie Joseph. He has an immense presence and brings that much needed experience, to the camp.
    Also, from the MLS is Craig Rocastle of Sporting Kansas City FC. Craig is a cultured midfielder who first represented Grenada in the Digicel Caribbean Cup en route to this Gold Cup. He has been an immediate hit with both playing and coaching staff.
    Striker Kithson Bain is now with Carolina Railhawks in the North American Soccer League (NASL) and has been the Golden boot winner in the last two Digicel Cup competitions which have earned the team Gold Cup qualifying berths.
    From the United Kingdom, the team will be giving debuts to defender Leon Johnson of Wycombe Wanderers, who will be in League One next season and Anthony Straker of Aldershot Town, League Two, a young wingback.
    Returning from the UK to resume international duty are Delroy Facey and Bradley Bubb both strikers and David Cyrus, a young defender.
    There is also a wealth of young local talent, most notably, an exciting 20 year-old attacking midfielder, Clive Murray who could turn out to be real future star. Moron Phillip and Shanon Phillip are also youngsters with great potential.

Grenada’s roster for the Gold Cup Tournament.
    Goalkeepers: Andray Baptiste, Desmond Noel, Shemel Louison
    Defenders: Shanon Phillip, Cassim Langaigne, David Cyrus, Anthony Straker, Marc Marshall, Benedict Modeste (capt.), Leon Johnson.
    Midfielders: Shane Rennie, Ricky Charles, Patrick Modeste, Lancaster Joseph, Moron Phillip, Shalrie Joseph, Craig Rocastle, Dwayne Leo.
    Forwards:Delroy Facey, Bradley Bubb, Clive Murray, Kithson Bain, Marcus Julien.

14. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I don't think there are any real surprises there, looks a decent squad.

15. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    okay so I don't understand the logic of these English players of Grenadian roots. They know they won't play for England (Beckford), why not just say yes to a Grenada call-up. Or is the GFA just not pursuing them as hard as you would expect.

16. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Some want to enjoy their end of season break. Some, like Beckford, are either holding out for an England chance (you never know, should he catch form for Everton next year he could get a look...just look at Bobby Zamora). Beckford could end up playing for Jamaica too. Others may just not feel a connection to Grenada.

17. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
    you can't make somebody represent a country, its up to that player if he wants to or he doesn't. beckford is not just Grenadian, he's half Grenadian/half Jamaican so he can also represent Jamaica. Jamaica is now pursuing him but i still playing that wait and see game.

Reggae Boyz eye Beckford

Andre Lowe, Senior Staff Reporter

Jermaine Beckford
    Everton striker Jermaine Beckford is one of several international players being eyed by the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) in its efforts to widen the pool of players for the national senior programme. Beckford, 27, has scored seven goals in his first season with Everton after making a big switch last summer from Leeds United, for which he had scored a famous FA Cup Third Round goal that knocked Manchester United out of the competition in the 2009-2010 season.

According to sources close to the discussions, Beckford is said to be seriously considering the idea but will not be able to make a commitment to the Jamaican programme until later this year due to family reasons.

"Jermaine Beckford would like to be considered in the near future. Same for Jobi Mcnuff and Daniel Gordon. For various reasons, these players are unable to commit to playing this summer," said Wallen, who represents Pro-Goals Sports Managem

he says he can't represent Jamaica this summer because of family reason but not to long ago his said he plans for the summer were going fishing and hanging out with old mates. he's not committing to any country because he still thinks he will get that England call later this year.

18. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    okay one more question, who do these players play for:

Shemel Louison
    Lancaster Joseph
    Moron Phillip
    Clive Murray

19. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
    i dont know anything about Shemel Louison

Lancaster Joseph plays for Hurricanes FC/ Carib hurricanes

Clive Murry went to St Andrews Anglican secondary school. he was a stand out player at the high school level. i remember him scoring 3 goals at the Republic Youth cup. since he went to St Andrews Anglican secondary school he should be playing for Fontenoy United seeing that most players in grenada represent the team in the area where they live or attend school but im not 100% sure

the only thing i know about moron Philip is that he's 20 and he represented grenada at the junior level.

all of them are young players under the age of 23. i don't think any of them will see any real minutes but if i had to put my money on 1 of them playing meaningful minutes it would be Clive Murray. form seeing him play as a youth he's got the ability come in and make an impression right away. he's a speedy attacking midfield player/ forward that can cause problems for any team that has slow defensive players but he's still only 20.

20. siebenw

siebenw Member

Jun 15, 2007
    Würzburg, Germany
    In last editions, CONCACAF always published a provissional list of about fourty players for each country. Isn't this this year?