going to DC

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by simont, Jul 14, 2015.

1. simont

simont Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi I am a NYRB fan but I come in Pease I need some info and was thinking you guys might be able to help me in a week I going to be visiting DC for the day and I am thinking of checking out Anacostia Park as I love to take photos I was reading that you can take the green line by using the Metro I was wondering if you can get the Metro at Union station? Also anyone been to Anacostia Park is It a nice place to take photos? Also if I using the Metro and I figer I going to be doing like 4 trips on it should I just keep byeing one way trips? Thank you for the Help I wish you guy’s good luck in the remainder of the Season and go USA.

Sorry for some bad spelling it’s a disability I have

2. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Metro does run through Union Station. You catch the red line and then change to green.

3. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    There's an "Anacostia Park" - really?

Red Line goes through Union Station. Take the Red Line towards Shady Grove/Rockville. Three stops later is Metro Center, switch to Orange Line towards New Carrollton. The Minnesota and Deanwood stops (right after Stadium/Armory) are closest to Anacostia Park. (The Blue/Silver Line is on the same tracks as the Orange Line through Wash DC, but splits right after Stadium/Armory towards so you should just wait for the Orange Line train).

BUT - Since it sounds like you're not interested in the normal tourist vistas around the Mall, or Potomac Park (along the river) and down towards Haines Point, I would recommend the National Arboretum instead. Unfortunately, there are no Metro lines and stops near this. I don't know the Metro bus lines out of Union Station into NE Wash DC, so your best bet may be is to just get a cab from Union Station. On maps it looks like its right next to Anacostia Park, but its on the other side of the Anacostia River with no bridges connecting them.

4. Rick77

Rick77 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. simont

simont Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thank you all for the help @ rick 77 that site helps. i keep the Arboretum in mind my bother in law has work down in DC so every now and then i meet up with him in DC. i going to be meeting up with him next week we going to have 2 so hrs to kill before the train back to NJ so we going to do some walking.

6. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm, a very cool place to walk around that many visitors don't know about is Theodore Roosevelt Island. If you want to make do a longish hike you could easily do the Capital Crescent Trail from Georgetown to Silver Spring and then take Metro from Silver Spring back to Union Station in a few hours. The C & O Canal has a very long and very well maintained hiking/biking trail that runs from Georgetown to Cumberland along the Potomac - that could also be an option. Be careful if you hike along the Anacostia - don't become a crime statistic or poison yourself by falling in the river.

fatbastard, Winoman and freekickwiz repped this.